“Possibly the best holiday with young children” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Denarau Villas

Sheraton Denarau Villas
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Pokolbin
“Possibly the best holiday with young children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our second time to the Sheraton Villas and with 2 young boys from country NSW we cannot say enough what a great place this is to Holiday. The rooms are perfect with a good sized kitchen and living room plenty of space. The pool (one of many) was right outside our back door and with the kids eating free and enjoying the kids club on most days, my wife and I also had the break we really needed. Not the cheapest place in Fiji but I have a belief that you get what you pay for and this is the case here.
We did have a small issue on the first night with our room not being ready but the management fixed the problem very promptly and we were happy with the outcome.

Room Tip: If you book through an agent it is best to call the hotel prior to your arrival to ensure they have...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear AndyPokolbin,

Warmest greetings from Sheraton Denarau Villas! Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recennt stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that it proved to be a most relaxing and enjoyable experience for the whole family. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next family vacation to Fiji! Vinaka.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were a family of 18 (68+ to 5) so we used the 3 bedroom villas 2 bedroom villas and one ocean view room.
Every thing went well service in all areas food accommodations and general atmosphere was good .The chlidren even offered to do the oldies washing in their excellently equipped villas General atmosphere was positive for every one.
Grandpa got a positive response from all for his choice

1 Thank JOHNFLYNNE
Dear JohnFlynne,

What a fantastic holiday you must have had, surrounded by family, enjoying the convenience of our Villa facilities, the resort and all that Fiji has to offer.

We think you made a great choice in selecting Sheraton Denarau Villas too, and we hope to see you back for another wonderful holiday in the near future! Warm regards, Scott MacDonald
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to the Sheraton/Westin Denarau complex for some thirteen or so years. Some years we've even come twice. So we have a strong basis for comparison.

The comments in this review are critical of our most recent stay but should be interpreted in the light of the paradise that is Fiji.

When we first started to come, the Starwood chain had the whole island to itself with a Sheraton Resort Hotel alongside the Westin and the Sheraton Villas which were relatively new at the time. As we returned, more and more five star properties took up beach front positions alongside the beach. It is now one of a number of five star properties on this small island just twenty minutes from a major international airport. Its competition includes a Hilton property, a Radisson and a Sofitel.

Check-in for the villas is done in the same lobby as the hotel. The hotel is starting to show its age as it hasn't really been reburbished much in the years we have been coming. The Villas were closed during one of our stays a few years back for a refurbishment but it seems from my observation of the rooms to have been somewhat superficial and mainly cosmetic.

The Sheraton still has the remarkable Ports o'Call restaurant (separately reviewed favourably). From my own experience, many of the Fiji native staff have been there all the times we have been coming. These lovely native people have a wonderful memory for repeat customers and what it takes to exceed customer expectations. However, I have noticed that there's nearly always a substantially new team in customer facing executive positions and at this executive level the corporate memory appears quite poor. Unlike many other places I stay at, I don't get a hand written note from one of the executives welcoming me back to the hotel.

As my wife and I have been to the Sheraton complex 15 times over 13 years, we have incredibly happy memories of many wonderful holidays both before and after our children (now 8 and 10) were born. However, our last trip just completed means we will never return unless the owners fix the problems we observed in customer service.

The lovely Fijian and native staff get paid a pittance (I know this for a fact from speaking to many of them) but the locals perform exceptionally especially those who have been at the hotel for many years. A lot of them come up to my wife and me and remark on how much the children have grown. Many of them remember my eldest in his pram back in 2002. I can tell they love being of service in their heart and they are proud of their country and what they see as their hotel.

When we were there this time (23 to 26 September 2012), I had a few issues that in the past would have been resolved quickly and simply. I asked to speak to someone in executive management but was told the executive management team was in Sydney for a budget planning session.

From the regular email promotions I receive and the commentary on the Starwood Preferred Guest website and my twenty-five years membership in their executive program at different times at the Gold Preferred or Platinum Preferred Guest level, I am personally aware that Starwood claims to be one of the leading brands in hotels in the world and this is one of their best resort hotels. I expect and should receive five star service.

During these school holidays, I paid a premium price for accommodation - around double what I have paid on my last trip.

Our first night was a horror of being moved three times as the hotel tried to accommodate our simple requirement put in writing three weeks prior for a ground floor room. The hotel knows from previous visits that we need a ground floor room because my wife had an ankle injury some ten years ago that makes it painful for her to walk up stairs. The hotel only has two levels - so 50% of the rooms are ground floor. Yet we were placed in a room where you have to walk up dark badly lit stairs and overlooked a swamp (I know they are now called wetlands but they are just swamps - low lying areas where surplus rain water accumulates). We were paying around FJD 900 a night for a view of a swamp. During one of the moves, my wife stubbed her toe on one of the steps due to the slippery steps caused by rain. She was and remains in a lot of a pain.

There is only one conceivable reason why we would be allocated a completely unsuitable room. Someone in room allocation management failed to read our detailed requirements, check on our history and do their job properly by planning room allotments correctly. They had plenty of notice - three weeks and half the rooms to choose from. It wasn't a last minute request. We had dozens of upgrade vouchers with us and had advised them of this as well in an email sent on 9 September 2012 which they acknowledged by the standard automated reply system.

Every other time we had been to the hotel including our first visit back in 1997, we had received a ground floor room with a view of the water. That was our expectation - we were repeat customers and had Starwood Gold status.

The night staff tried their best. In the middle of a rain storm, they found and moved us to two adjoining but smaller rooms in the Sheraton Resort Hotel complex on the ground floor. Unfortunately, the parents' room with the king sized bed had been occupied by a chain smoker and none of the TV's or any of the technology in the room worked. Our room stank to high heaven with the dank smell of ash in all the linen, the walls and the furniture. Housekeeping came and sprayedroom deodoriser which merely masked the smell momentarily.

In the end, they all they could do was move us back to the original misallocated room in the Villas. The next day the local Fijian front desk supervisor found us a room on the ground floor overlooking the pool. He was a real decent fellow.

When I complained the next morning about the unacceptable room allocation, the hotel management refused to refund our first ruined night's accommodation so we checked out after two more days when we found one of the other hotels on Denarau Island to stay at.

This hotel ruined 30% of my stay there as part of my family holiday. We were forced to live out of a suitcase instead of enjoying our holiday because we had no guarantee that we could stay in the new room. We are now at this other five star hotel in a beautiful ground floor ocean view two bedroom family room and resting. Our holiday has finally started.

When I checked out, I left a note addressed to the General Manager to contact me when I return to Australia on 5 October 2012. I have also complained to American Express.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the pool in the Villas. If staying at the Resort hotel, the rooms...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank ggads
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Outstanding holiday at the Sheraton Villas. I agree entirely with all the outstanding reviews and cannot fault the place in any way really - especially when you finally slow down and operate on 'FIJI TIME' One thing I did read that I want to strongly emphasize is the benefits of a Starwood Privilege Card. I was initially apprehensive, but now having had one in full use for the last two weeks, it's an absolute must. Mine came with five 50% off group dining and when that ran out, all my meals were free. Initially during the holiday my adult neice joined us, then it was our Family of two adults and two children. We didn't eat at the Port as it was cheaper to eat at the resort. For example last night using the card we dined at 'Flying Fish' - which was our fourth time because it's so good. 2 adults, 2 children including drinks and a bottle NZ wine - just over $100AU - can't be beaten anywhere in the known world I reckon.

Room Tip: Garden View it's quiter and cheaper
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Rodney M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Denarau Villas and for your gracious review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed a memorable stay with us and that you made such good use of the Starwood Privilege Card! I agree, Flying Fish Restaurant is superb, waterfront dining at its best!

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next trip to Fiji!
Warm regards, Scott MacDonald
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Sheraton Villas in September. It was my wife and I and our two girls (3 and 1).

We had a two bedroom garden view villa. They are very spacious with a well supplied kitchen (stovetop, microwave and full fridge). With our kids it was a waste of time to take them to the restaurants so it was nice to be able to come back to the room and serve up something simple like baked beans on toast.

We had a really good time, our older girl loved the pools (although she really enjoyed the slide at the Raddison, just walk across). As has been mentioned in other posts, the main pool has the benefit of being a lot less crowded than many of the other pools in the sheraton complex although at the time of our stay we rarely found any pool to busy (getting a deck chair can be a different story sometimes).
If you have small kids, take some time to figure out what all the different kids pools are like, the westin has an area at 0.5m and the sheraton hotel has one at 0.8m. We found the walk in water edge pool at the villas a little steep (and deep) for our kids

We used a babysitter a few hours a day(initially organised by the hotel, but after the first visit you arrange times with your sitter). The rate is super cheap (20FJ for the first 3hours then 6FJ after that) and our sitter was really friendly with the kids. It took a little time for our kids to become accustomed to her but it really helped us (mum and dad) have a good holiday too. Incidently, our sitter also went and did some shopping for us, going to the markets to pick up fresh fruit (I love the pineapples and paw paw) and this might be a good option if you want fresh produce. Our 3yo threw a wobbly about going to kids club, but loved the Bulla bus (actually the denaru express "Blue" bus). So for 7FJ our sitter would just take them on the bus down to the marina (we gave her some money to getthe kids a cake or something at the bakery) and the kids would be super happy.

a quick note for the budget conscious indulgent type, my wife looked at a massage for 200FJ at the Westin but remembered we had seen a place in nadi on our drive in called "island massage" behind the mobil station where my wife got an excellent hour massage for 30FJ (just a room nothing fancy)

We could have easily given this place an excellent rating but unfortunately a few small things that are probably specific to our trip let them down.

On arrival we were given a pool view room, and so we were initally very happy (thinking a nice upgrade) but then two hours later when my wife went to reception to ask for another key, we were told we would have to move to a new room immediately (with our sleeping toddler) as we were in the wrong room. The room we were moved into (995) is probably the worst located in the villas as rather than a garden view it is a view of the main road in, and all the noise that comes with this. This is not a major drama it just left us feeling a little down (a nice bottle of champayne with a sorry would have probably fixed the problem)

We also had to arrange the following to get fixed. TV's, AirCon, Stove top and the kitchen tap fell off. The response to these problems was very good but we did have lots of people coming and going from our room for a day or so.

We also found the aircon in one of the rooms was quite loud and so couldn't be run at night (maybe not a problem for some) but did lead to some warm nights.

We went to to the feast buffet restaurant on the first night, we though the food was ok, however we were seated next to a cooking station at the back of the restaurant and I found it uncomfortably warm so we didn't stay long. (If you can get near a window it would be much better). After that we found the pizza at the golf club across the road as great value (about 38FJ for a large chicken pizza, they do take away as well) and had cheap drinks as well

Overall the friendly staff did wonders to overcome these small problems and make our trip very enjoyable. We would go back again, particular to self cater (though we would probably have a look at the Raddison as well). If you want to go to a resort but still be located a little away from all the hustle and bustle of the big resorts this might be the place for you

Room Tip: Our room 995 directly faced the road, I would avoid this if I could. If you are not too worried abou...
4 Thank gregandrenae
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Denarau Villas!

Thank you for sharing your impressions on the resort - I am pleased that you enjoyed the Villa ammenities and resort facilities and that they suited your family's needs.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the team for review and improvement in the areas where we did not meet our usual best standard.

Please come and stay with us again next time, to re-live your great holiday memories and create new ones!
Queensland Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

First and foremost you must remember you are on Fiji time.
Ditch the IPhone, IPad and Laptop. I know you can do it. Ok, maybe not at night.

We have just returned from eight nights at the Villas with our two Grandkids (7 and 11). My report basically agrees with most of the positive compliments previously written and they are totally supported. Instead of going there l would like to point out some more abstract views.

The staff (possibly with the exception of reception) are excellent. Security, Conceirge, Guest Services were fun simply just to chat with, and extremely helpful. Security are an absolute wealth of knowledge. A special mention must go to the lovely ladies who serviced our villa, and the supurb team that ran the Kids Club. Thank you all.

The Villas are enourmous. We had a couple of minor isuues, but these were rectified very quickly. We found the matressess and pillows excellent. The entire family slept really well. Our kitchen was very, very well stocked. This included washing up detergent, cloths and dishwasher cleaner. We also brought our own laundry detergent from Australia.

The villas pools l believe to be the best as they appears a little deeper than the Sheraton ones, and many of the guests in the Sheraton Hotel tend to keep away as these pools are between the Villas.

We saw a few small cockies. No big deal, we live in Qld. We took a can of fly spray with us, and we never saw them again. The small shops that are mentioned in many reports are actually only 30 metres from the front of the Villas. There are two stores, pizza and coffee shop (not bad either) and a Westpac ATM. They carry everything you may need from NZ UHT milk (better than the local) to fresh bread. Very handy. Coke is cheaper than beer in the shops.

Taxi prices are set, and please do not be conned. Always check with the driver. Resort to Port Denarau is FJD$5. Resort to Nadi Town FJD$10. Resort to airport FJD$30. The Westbus (local bus) from the resort to Nadi Town FJD$1 for aduly and kids are free. My view is that the Bula bus is quite expensive, though the Grandkids loved it as a one of. The Brown Bula Bus goes between the Sheraton and the Weston and is free, whilst the Blue Bula Bus goes through all the resorts at FJD$7 per day. We even took a taxi to take the Grandkids to McDonalds in Nadi, as it has an awesome sign. Kids Club very often travel around on the brown Bula Bus at night, and we heard them all singing Aussue, Aussie Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi, as was our Granddaughter.

The Denarau Golf Club is just across the road, and up a path. Only about 150 metres from the Villas. The helipad for Island Choppers is also here for your joy flights. PS - They were worth it for the kids. Owned and flown by Kiwis. The Golf Club is an excellent and much cheaper alternative than the Resort, and indeed a pleasant change, and a lovely outlook..

We brought about 30kg of food and snacks with us for the kids, and as long as it was declared nothing was a problem with Fiji Customs. In fact they did not even look. Just a quick XRay. No cheese or meats though. Although we did bring a couple of boxes of Le Snacks. Wine. Beer and water were cheapest at Nadi Duty Free.

Port Denarau is a little heaven. Much cheaper than the resort. It also has a Post Office. I found it amazing that postage was much cheaper ????, from the Post Office.

We all adored the resort and on the one wet day, the size of the Villas allowed us plenty of room just to hang out, without being on top of each other. We are already planning our return, trouble is so are the Grandkids.

My Granddaughter (7) had her hair fully braided for FJD$80. Yes, papa had to get one (just one though) also. Much has been writen about the cost, but the ease of having it done within the Resort was worth every cent.

All Villa Guests receive free Internet Wifi, but you have to ask at Guest Services for the codes, and they will replace them if you run out. I remained stunned how much my Grandson could use.

This Resort is highly recommended, but please remember it is not the New York Sheraton, but a family orientated Sheraton (with a few extras) on basically a tropical Island.

Room Tip: The foyer and recepetion for the Villas are the same as the Sheraton Hotel.
3 Thank JohnsonFive
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Bula! Thank you for your great review and recommendation of Sheraton Denarau Villas. My team and I are very happy that you enjoyed a memorable stay at our resort with your grandchildren.

Our team strive to provide a warm, comforting and connecting experience for all of our guests and they will be delighted to receive your compliments on the service you received.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Warm regards, Scott MacDonald
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We recently had our first family holiday (my husband and I, 14month old and Father in law) at the Sheraton Denerau Villas and it was perfect.
From the moment we arrived until we left, there was nothing that was too hard for the wonderful staff there.
My daughter was thoroughly spoilt, I think her first word will be "Bula!", the staff were just so lovely with her.
The food was fantastic, we had breakfast everyday at Feast and the variety was amazing. We didn't have lunch everyday, but enjoyed dinner at all of the restaurants. We found the meals to be affordable, fresh and filling.
We stayed in a 3bd villa and there was ample room for all of us. It was great having the kitchen facitilies and the washing machine came in very handy as my daughter has started to feed herself :)

The setting of the resort is great,, very quiet, even with a wedding going on outside!
Would definitly recommend to others travelling with small children, I would suggest taking snacks or food for the kids though as dinner service starts at 6pm.

1 Thank hamlee
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Denarau Villas, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review and for the five star rating of the Sheraton Denarau Villas. I was thrilled to learn that the three bedroom villa was suitable for your needs and that you had a perfect holiday experience with us.

Our team take great pleasure in caring for and entertaining our youngest guests and ensuring that the whole family has a wonderful holiday and I am pleased that they made such a nice impression on your family.

I am happy that you experienced our restaurants and that you enjoyed the great variety from our local and international menus, which also offer quality meals for children. Within our Starwood complex there are also some outlets which open at 5:30pm for early family dining.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,311 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Denarau Villas? Share your experiences!