“Hostess made the experience”

Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Outdoor & Seafront Dining.Air-conditioned Interior.Caters for special dietary needs (gluten-free, vegan, halal, etc).Kids Menu & hi-chairs available. Local Serenaders with complimentary Kava tasting.Restroom Facilities.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have eaten at many places in Fiji and enjoyed a variety of authentic food. Nadina seems to have made as few concessions to western tastes as they can. The meal we had was nice, fresh and enjoyable. It was not outstanding, but it was nice.

We were given an insect repellent coil. We were seen to quickly but our orders not rushed. Questions were answered promptly and the hostess Aggie treated us well and openly. I was saddened by the review under mine (or close to). We did not ourselves experience any difference in service and it would be a shame if this did occur.

I would be happy to eat here again. Mainly because of the open, natural people that attended us. The entree' was very good. The rest of the meal not particularily memorable but acceptable for the price.

For anyone visiting Denarau and wanting to lessen their normal touristy eating experience Nadina is probably worth a try. Keep your expectations realistic and enjoy for what is on offer.

There are newer reviews for Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went there tonight based on reading tripadvisor's reviews and on the food front, mostly it wasn't bad at all! Reasonably priced compared to some resorts' restaurants on Denarau Island.

However, the service was definitely not as good as what we have seen on Tripadvisor - we have seen evidence of some of the real good services at the restaurant (e.g. very friendly to customers, patiently explained the menu of the day to customers, looking after babies for customers while they dine etc). However, these services didn't quite apply to us - sadly I have to say it felt like it was due to the fact that we were not white people!

Initially I felt I was 'forced' to order a drink which I felt I didn't really need. They basically 'expect' you to order a drink even at times after you have been drinking soft drinks and juices all day long you just felt like a water but nothing else.

Then we felt there were mosquitoes there because it's really dark and by the water, Aggie (the very friendly host to everyone except us) brought two incents for the next two tables but didn't even bother to ask us whether we would like one. And the introduction to the customers about what her name is and the general friendly chit-chat - none of that applied to us, only applied to other "white" customers. We had to ask for insect repellent twice (and never arrived) and in the end we said that whether we could please have the same incents as the other tables.

One last thing - after our entree, a lizard kept appearing on our table (3 times!). Though I am not really that afraid of lizard but I was uncomfortable having one on my dining table while I am eating! So when I suggested to staff that I want to change to a different table, all she said was that "they like lights so they come out" and took another table's napkin and cover over our lights and that was it! Never asked me whether this was acceptable. Given how dark it was and now without the light we practically ate our dinner in the dark.

All in all, we enjoyed the food and we did see evidence of the 'good' service but my recommendation is that only go there if you are white. It is indeed very sad that I have to write this sort of review on tripadvisor - I have also traveled to many places and eaten in hundreds of different places. I have never really experienced anything this different in terms of services to people of different races.

1  Thank Angnz
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We only had a 4 day stopover in Fiji enroute from NZ to London and what better way to experience the local Fijian cuisine. Wow, if the food alone wasn't enough to impress us the staff finished off the evening with some traditional music and dancing and we even got up on our feet and joined in.

Not often I give 5 stars but here it's well deserved !!!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was the most wonderful meal and the kindest people we have come across since we have been in Denerau. Aggie and the staff were exceptionally wonderful, sweet and kind... the true Fijian warmth that we remember from our first visit to Fiji (we were in Savusavu last time so the big tourist experience here in Deneau was a bit of a surprise). Setting up a nice chair with lots of extra cushions and a warm shawl for our sleepy little one, inviting us to her home and encouraging our teenager trying a day of Fijian school with her teen it truly made me feel like I was back in the lovely Fiji that I remember. Make this the first restaurant you try because I am sure you will want to go back. We all loved everything we had for dinner, wonderful drinks and great prices the band was fantastic. Kind warm sincere hugs and kisses on the cheek upon our bid goodnight. No question this is the best restaurant in Denerau!! An absolute MUST!!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We wanted to go to a Fijian restaurant and Nadina's Authentic Fijian Restaurant didn't disappoint. We had an excellent dinner with wonderful and genuine service. The entertainment was fantastic and also helped make the night. We sat outside and the view was also wonderful. We were sorry that we found this at the end of our visit otherwise we would have went again before we left Nadi.