“An excellent day on all accounts”

Schooner Whale's Tales
Book In Advance
More Info
$118.29*
and up
Fijian Islands and Snorkel Full-Day Whales Tale Cruise including Beach BBQ Lunch
Ranked #3 of 18 Tours in Denarau Island
More attraction details
Owner description: ''Whale's Tale''"A TASTE OF THE ISLANDS"Aboard the Magnificent 100 Foot Schooner '' Whale's Tale'Fiji's ultimate one day 5 Island spectacular Champagne sail cruise thru the Blue Lagoons and the beaches of the nearby Mamanuca islands and featuring an escape to your own Private & Exclusive Uninhabited Island Paradise.
Sydney, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“An excellent day on all accounts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We booked this day to go out with our Aussie relatives and do some snorkelling and just relax before we came home the next day. The cruise out was so calm and not a drop of rain, we sat on the roof of the boat on the way and had this great breeze. The crew were always asking if we needed drinks (free) so no risk of dehydrating....... On the way out to the island the crew mingled and talked to the passengers. They had a number of trolling lines out and said they normally catch a few fish each trip. They caught one one the way out and another two I saw on the way in. So there is always something happening. We planned to go snorkelling as the people we were with had discovered how good this was on a previous day trip so that became the plan, plus have lunch which was great and thats a whole other story. On the way to the island we decided to do the scuba diving. Our friend had some holiday stubble so had a few problems previously snorkelling in keeping the face mask sealed, but the dive instructors assured him they could deal with this if he came diving and offered a satisfaction guarantee. not happy, you dont pay. So the four of us went diving, two who had dived previously years ago and two completely new too it. The newbies beat us back to shore, just, but they were so ecstatic after the diving. the mask sealed properly and they were guided gently under the water after the briefing. So seeing them both achieve this was fantastic. They both were so appreciative of the patience of the instructor and the whole experience. The food was great. and all the crew on the boat were as well and singing and entertaing the passengers. We missed some activities because of the diving but it was just a great day out and value for money.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Todd C

• Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awsum dayy !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I went on this trip solo a few weeks ago as my friend bailed on me last minute before our holiday . I was in fiji for 4 days and was recommended this day trip. I read the reviews before I went and there were some bad ones which made me think for a solo person would this be okay. But I went anyway and this was honestly one of the best days I have ever had !!!! amazinggg!!!!!!!!!!! I met some lovely people this day, the staff were so amazing and made sure you never had a empty drink. Im no a class snorkeler but I loved the snorkelling. The food and the island were beautiful I could not of asked for a better day . I cant wait to come back to Fiji and do this trip again !!!!! :) its a must do !!!!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Sera H
Rotorua, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best of the Day Cruises”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We've been on this trip every year for seven years and this year was no different. We actually tried another day trip on another boat this time too and were so disappointed, it made us wonder why we every tried anything else.
The crew are fantastic - friendly, helpful and attentive. As mentioned above, we've been on this cruise many times now and the low turnover of staff is a testament to the quality of the cruise. Well treated staff are happy, resulting in happier customers. Sailing past the islands, the crew will happily answer questions about the sights and and point out anything of interest along the way. Sailing to the island is of course part of the day and time spent on the water just flies by.

Food and drink are all inclusive all day - both on the boat and on the island. The crew ensure that no one goes hungry or thirsty. However, they certainly don't force anyone to drink anything they don't want to. They do their utmost to see that everyone is happy and well-fed.

The island the schooner visits is small however it is sandy and there is plenty of shade. There is a good selection of activities available - snorkling, kayaking, a glass-bottomed boat as well as the relatively new power snorkling, hair braiding and massage. There is a reasonable charge for these latter activities. Victor is a Whale's Tale veteran who is the owner/operator of the power snorlking. He is highly safety conscious and a great guide. He gives extra support to the less confident snorklers and for the more adventurous, he'll happily take you down further. Scuba diving is also avaiable now too. If you don't want to do anything, you don't have to and lying on a beach bed at the water's edge with the waves lapping at your toes is as idyllic as it can get.

The food served on the island is tasty and varied. It is also prepared on the boat by their own cooks, unlike some other cruises that simply re-heat sausages and chicken and then slice a bit of lettuce! There are also changing rooms and lavatories on the island as well as on the boat - incredibly, some other cruises don't provide toilets on the islands they visit and you either have to cross your legs or pee on a bush where hundreds of others have presumably peed before.

I would certainly recommend this excursion to anyone wanting a day cruise to somewhere fun and reasonably close to the Denerau resorts. The price compares well with other similar cruises and it more accurately delivers what others promise.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Lorraine M
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Must Try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We tried the Whale's Tail on a recommendation from our hotel. So glad we did as it was one of the best experiences of the entire trip.

The staff were super friendly and made sure we were never without food or drink. They made sure we were having a great time throughout the entire day. The cruise itself is interesting, and the private island is straight off a postcard.

We chose to pay an additional cost to go power snorkelling and did not regret it it's still a cheap day out). Amazing experience of the coast of Fiji. BBQ at lunch was enjoyable and being that it was my birthday a couple of days earlier they even made a cake.

Great experience, would highly recommend it.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Brendan M
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The Gem of all day trips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I keep asking myself why I choose the Whale's Tale day cruise to Schooner Island when on my annual holiday around the Fiji Islands. I guess it is for many reasons.
The highly capable and attentive crew have always been proactive in ensuring that you are getting the most out of the trip. They provide a nice selection for morning and afternoon tea and a comprehensive selection of complimentary alcoholic & non alcoholic beverages aboard. The vessel, the M.V. Whale's Tale is a genuine oceanic schooner, pushed along by a quiet diesel engine and two sails if sufficient breeze exists up to 6 to 7 knots. A truly wonderful experience while sailing to and from Schooner Island, approximately one hour from the Denerau Marina.
The Island is very well managed indeed. There are lots of small open sided huts, loungers, and toilet facilities. Upon arrival you are greeted and welcomed to the island by way of a Fijian Kava ceremony which takes place in a large, traditional style hut. This is also where you will enjoy your buffet lunch, a tasty spread of food including fresh tropical fruit, salads, sausages, chicken, marinated beef and marlin. Sometimes other tropical fish will be served such as mahi-mahi or walu).
A great choice of activities is available including volleyball, kayaking, scuba diving, snorkelling and the new 'Power Snorkelling', a guided James Bond style snorkelling experience led by Victor, who will provide you with an excellent safety and operational brief prior to taking you out over the reef before lunch. This last activity is unique in Fiji to this cruise. A trip in a glass-bottomed boat is also provided for the less energetic. Other new additions to this day cruise are hair braiding and beachside massage.
Over the past decade I have enjoyed many day trips around the Fiji Islands, but in my opinion this one is the little gem of the South Pacific. For an all round fun day out considering the crew, vessel, time management, choice of activities, food, drink, and the destination, if you are ever pondering just which of the many to choose, the Whale's Tale is best hands down.
Enjoy!