“A poor advertisement for dining at Port Denarau”

Amalfi Italian Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Amalfi Italian Restaurant is located at Port Denarau Marina, on the seaside, with a nice view, and provide for "al fresco" dinner with tables under big umbrellas.Manager and Executive chef are directly from south Italy, just to deliver the real genuine taste of original Italian cuisine.Many ingredients are imported from Italy and you can find classical recipes as well some fusion dishes with local fresh ingredients.Our pizzas are prepared as per italian method, using crushed non-precooked tomatoes, olive oil, mozzarella, parmesan cheese and fresh ingredients. Wide range and selection of Italian, Australian and New Zealand wines to complete your experience at Amalfi Italian Restaurant.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This restaurant was a complete disappointment. My wife and I both chose a veal dish, which was overcooked and tasteless. The sauces which were supposed to accompany it were virtually non-existent.
Our disatisfaction was communicated to one of the waiters who returned to say the chef was "sorry" and offering 10% off the bill! We judged that reaction to be quite insulting.

Our recommendation: AVOID this restaurant!

1  Thank PeteWH
Amalfi_Restaurant, Manager at Amalfi Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Mr.PeteWH,
We are very sorry about your bad experience in our reastaurant, especially for a very good bestseller of our like the veal. you can't find easily veal around Fiji just because it's a very delicate ingredient that can easily spoilt by a bad cooking or a wrong sauce.
Usually the veal by itself, due to the poor content of blood in the texture and young age of calf, is not so tasty and rich as the aged beef, but here that the chef must do its best to make yummy and flavorful a plate.
Back to your review, Mr.PeteWH, we have experienced that, often, the "taste" of a guest is strongly conditioned from what they had (as beverage or appetizers) out of our restaurant, also if far from dinner time. Maybe this had been your case, eating or drinking something that conditioned your taste up to declare "tasteless and overcooked" what we daily serve with great compliments from other guests.
But we also sorry that the waiter came back, after your complain, with an "insulting" 10% discount on the refused food. This happens when, like in YOUR case, the complain doesn't come immediately after a couple of bites, but the guest almost finish the food complaining at last, when the dish is practically empty.
Our policy, for guest complaining IMMEDIATELY after a couple of bites, it to CANCEL totally the item from the bill. That's what we do normally to apologize with our unsatisfied guests.
If you receive "only" an "insulting" 10% discount off is because your plate was almost empty.
But internet is nice for this. Two clicks and you are the King Of The Reviews! :)
Hope to see you again!!
Ciao!

There are newer reviews for Amalfi Italian Restaurant

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Average,mass produced and bland.I have been to many italian restaurants but this tastes like it was from a packet from the supermarket and warmed up.Nothing to get excited about.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

There were fresh local prawns on the menu here which we all had & thoroughly enjoyed- all Italian dishes available too

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Visited Amalfi at the port looking for pasta. Even though it was not cooked by an Italian the pasta was very nice. I had the seafood marinara and my wife had a chicken dish and my family has ties to home grown Italian cooking it was just like eating Italian at home. Highly recommend a visit and was also good value.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I am a resident of Fiji and have been for over 7 years. I live on Denarau island and generally eschew eating at any restaurant on the island. Unfortunately I made the mistake of eating at the Amalfi restaurant on Sunday which coincided with the arrival of a large number of tattoo laden people from a cruise ship. I ordered fish and salad. I have no idea how a cook could turn fish into something you could not chew. A couple of my fellow diners had pork chops which they could not eat for the simple reason they could not cut the meat. My wife ate a veal and ham dish which she could not eat. I am writing this simply because I have had some terrible food on Denaraau Island but this was the worst. When I suggested to a non smiling and surly waitress that the cook come out and try his rubbish she just walked off without comment. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF EATING AT THIS RESTAURANT (OR ANY ON DENARAU ISLAND FOR THAT MATTER)

2  Thank Peter L
Amalfi_Restaurant, Manager at Amalfi Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Mr.Peter L,
Thanks a lot for your sincere and genuine review on our restaurant. We are extremely sorry and sad you had a bad experience having lunch in our restaurant on last sunday.

That was a busy day but this doesn't mean we are looking for an excuse for the bad food and service you say to have received in our restaurant. We can apologize to you for everything happened and invite you and your wife to have another try in Amalfi Italian restaurant being our precious and valued guest for one night.

About the waitress non-smiling and surly we have understood who she is and for her behaviour I again ask sorry, just because our restaurant is also well known to have friendly and down to earth staff. We will take in consideration some direct actions for this waitress. So thank you again for your review.

For the food, where we have scored a "0 on 4", we are still doing our internal researches and enquiries to check what went so wrong to not satisfy you and any of your precious fellow diners. Usually the dishes you chose receive an extremely low rate of negative comments and remain some of our bestsellers.

Hence we are inviting you to visit us again, and test again our service and food. Maybe we will be able to change your mind, or not.
By the way we are lucky that people dont even trust blindly ALL the tripadvisor reviews but prefer to check by themselves, directly, service and food of all the Denarau Island restaurant.

Thanks again for your review and see you next time!! ciao!

Stefano Aprea