Baganara Island Resort
$139
Palm Spring Hotel(Bartica)(Great Value!)
$104
Signature Inn(Georgetown)(Great Value!)
$67
Agoda.com
$105
All reviewsisland resortthe riveran hourfood was greatboat rideget awayboard gamesenjoyed our staybeautiful viewpool tableincluded in the pricehidden gembeach volleyballmorning kayakday tripmarshallbirds
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We used Baganara as rest stop between touring the Guyana interior and moving on to Suriname and French Guiana, and found it perfect.

The rooms have a Caribbean colonial feel and the large dining and lounge area feels almost Polynesian.

Grand sweeps of manicured lawn with chairs and benches throughout make strolling a delight.

There are plenty of beach chairs and tables and the swimming is excellent. The sunset excursion to parrot island is a pleasant end to a day of lounging.

Food is excellent and service sublime. But then, we were there midweek and had the place to ourselves. We recommend visiting midweek. The place fills up on weekends. Weekdays, we were told, it is often just a few guests and some occasional day-trippers who stop by for lunch.

Baganara is a popular conference center and could easily accommodate large groups. A landing strip makes for easy access.

Tip: The newer rooms are some distance from the dining and lounge areas, the dock, and the roped-off swimming area. Be sure to bring rain gear, just in case.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TalltrekkerTX
Reviewed March 4, 2012

At the end of an expedition throughthe heart of Guyanas jungles this was the perfect retreat to wind down have a bit of a last party and just enjoy life. Staff all super helpful, great facilities for adults and kids. Food was unparalleled absolutely fabulous. Airstrip and private island idea is a novelty you don't find everywhere. Very laid back feel to the place and a great place to start or end any trip to Guyana!

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank Josh M
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We have just returned from 3 months in Guyana. And amid a lot of other very excellent adventures, we ditched the kids for one night and flew to this total paradise! It was very peaceful. The beach was ours, no annoying beach vendors oofering to do your hair or plait you a hat (Barbadoes)

The staff were uber efficient but very inobstrusive.

We were very impressed by the evergy solutions of this great place. By using solar pv panels and hot water panels they have kept their use of fossil fuel to a minimum. The water is from rainwater harvesting and using grey water (the river) for the washing and watering needs.

I know folk have disparaged the temp of the hot water, but do remember this is an attempt to be as eco friendly as possible and to besides, why do you need hot water when really all I wanted was a refreshing cold shower. The outside temp is 30 degrees for Pete's sake!

The food is all local and TO DIE FOR! The fish is fabulous. They do not overcharge for the drinks unlike the Pegasus Hotel in Georgetown.

My husband loved sitting on the beach and observing the little aircraft dropping people off. He took so much video the battery went flat.

You can kayak around the island in about 1.5 hrs which we did. And they actually do a run in their boat to ensure you are safe.

We'll definitely be going back next year for a bit longer.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fab. If you are a plane enthusiast, just ask for the room overlooking the little strip.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SIRMEELA M
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I went with my brother and his wife, we all had a good time on the Island. Love the scenery, view and peacefulness, especially relaxing in the hammock. From the moment we got off the boat, Anne was waiting with a cool glass of "lime water". I truly enjoyed all the meals cooked by Trevor and his team. Mr. Kurt Jordan was an exceptionally a great host along with the other staff. As for actives, there is a pool table, tennis table, dominoes, cards etc. you can either kayaking or swim. In addition, there is bar if you like to drink, so there are few things to do. Thanks to Mr. Jordan and Trevor, along with my brother who taught me to play pool.
The island is well kept with lot of beautiful flowers, plants and trees. The room is self-contain and very clean and great for a family with kids and the bed was very comfortable. There was a ceiling fan on all day and night. The night was cool and comfortable to sleep. The only noise you heard in the night were the fishes jumping in the water. If you like a rustic, peaceful, alluring, and a quiet two-night vacation, then Baganara is the place for you, otherwise spend your money elsewhere. The resort do offer day trips, but it will cost you extra $$$. Once again, I will like to thank Mr. Jordan, Trevor, Anne and the other staff at Baganara for making my stay a great one. If I do get another opportunity, I will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
12  Thank Lavenderwoman
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I have been to Baganara for several occasions. And everytime I book I always ask if the chef Trevor is there.
He is just so good and dsiplays a variety of options.
Try it yourself. You will be delighted and very satisfied.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple