“Great Tours and Excellent Professional Staff”

East Island Excursions
Ranked #3 of 56 Tours in Fajardo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: East Island Excursions is your best choice for snorkeling and boat trips on Puerto Rico's off shore islands and cays, offering a variety of quality marine excursions with professional captains and caring crew for an unforgettable experience! Snorkel the crystal clear Caribbean waters, explore our deserted cays, beautiful white sand beaches and then kick back and enjoy a sumptuous Onboard Lunch Buffet of fresh fruits, fresh-baked bread, sliced deli meats, cheeses, tuna salad, gourmet pasta salad, coleslaw and chips. Bar includes Sodas, water, juices and local beer for sale. Top it off with a cold Piña Colada or our famous Tropical Rum Punch. That's The East Island Experience!
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We ventured on a Vieques Catamaran trip to visit the island and in particular the Bio Bay. This was the first time going for any member of my group. The staff at each point (catamaran boat, restaraunt, and biobay guides) were courteous, professional and informative answering all questions and providing comic relief along the way. Definitely a highlight of our trip and would recommend trying this if you are looking for a different side of the island.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

The reason we selected this tour was because after all the research we did high and low, we found it to be the only tour in all of Puerto Rico that you can swim in the bio-bay, and we didn't have to stay the night in Vieques, as this was the only swimmable bio-bay in all of Puerto Rico. There was another option to take the canoes out to that same bay - but that was for those who were staying in Vieques.

The tour overall was great and I'm glad I did it. Would I do this exact same tour again? No - there was so much involved to get to the one thing we wanted to do - experience the bio-bay. It would be great if they made a shortened tour for people returning to Puerto Rico that want to experience that again but not have to go through everything else.

The tour was easy to book by calling the number on their website and they followed up with an email confirmation. We arrived around 5pm but didn't really get going until almost 6pm. The guys on the boat did a brief explanation on safety and ordering our meal for the restaurant, we were on our way. Yes - there were free flowing rum drinks but after serving us a couple of drinks, the 1 bartender/server was occupied almost the entire boat trip, so it really didn't allow for more than a couple of drinks per person en route to Vieques.

Upon arriving to Vieques after a 40 minute boat ride and disembarking out boat, it was a cluster. We arrived at peak traffic time and the little narrow roads were jam packed. They had us go in a van and get a ride to a restaurant in town. The tour of Vieques was really adorable and it made me want to go back there and stay there. We drove through a quaint little town called Esperanza and got to see all their restaurants and bars, before reaching to the restaurant where we were having our dinner.

The dinner at the restaurant was just "ok". The choices weren't very authentic Puerto Rican and you could tell our choices had "dumbed down" to tourists. (Side bar - the better option here would've been to drop us off in town at Esperanza and let us eat anywhere there for an hour and pay our own meal to get good quality and authentic food, which would allow the price of the overall tour to be cheaper).

After dinner, we proceeded to get on a school bus that drove us to the bumpiest bus ride I've ever been on. Ok - warning - if you have a bad back - be prepared this bus ride was like getting on an amusement park ride! No joke! You're tossed up and down from your seat and branches come in the side, etc. It was really funny and we did have a lot of fun but you could tell people weren't expecting that. We were told that was the only way in and out to that bio-bay, so there is no other option!

Once we got there, it was pitch black and out and there were a few other people there for another tour. We were told to line up outside and we had to go through yet another set of instructions on the pontoon boat. The boat took us out to the bay and at that very moment, everything was perfect. Skies were full of stars (storm cleared up quickly!) and we were all given noodle/raft things to float (mandatory). We got a crash course on astronomy from our tour guide with the brightest coolest laser pointer I've ever seen that reached another planet (or so he said!). Then we got to get in for about 40 minutes. The water was a perfect 80 degrees and the glow was really intense. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen and experienced! It was virtually impossible to take pictures. It's something you'll keep in your memory forever, since it will be really hard to explain to others what you saw and what you did.

After returning to the area where our bus was, we had to take that crazy bus ride back to our boat, and then another boat back to Fajardo to return around 11pm and then drive back to San Juan to arrive home almost at midnight. The boat back was more pleasant since everyone fell asleep and that allowed us to hog up the bartender for the rest of the boat ride back, and there was no shortage on drinks poured then. :-)

All in all, we are really glad we did this tour and I do recommend it to all. It's just not the type of tour you return to or do a 2nd time because of how time consuming and everything else that was involved in it. However, if they make a shortened tour for 2nd timers where they go straight to the bio-bay and forget everything else, I'll take that again 10x over to see and feel the glowy little creatures and swim in that magical bay that will last in my memory for a lifetime.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

This was the best choice we could have made for the bio bay!

If you don't have a car to get to Fajardo, East Island will pick you up for a fee (I don't know how much, as we rented a car for 2 days, but I assume it's something like $20 each). You start out by taking a quick boat ride to Vieques island, on which they serve you drinks of all kinds. The ride wasn't too bumpy...as much to be expected on a pontoon boat in the middle of the ocean. You're served dinner, and there are a surprising amount of choices to pick from ranging from burgers and fajitas to local faire. After dinner, we were taken on a short bus ride to the bio bay. They warn against using bug spray with deet, because it kills the organisms in the water, so if you can help it - wear only natural bug spray. They also tell you that there are no mosquitos, but that's a bunch of bull bc my husband got eaten up out there.

The bio bay itself is completely and absolutely magnificent!! You don't realize what it's going to be like until you actually can see the fish moving in the water from the glow, and getting in is even better! It's not like putting a flashlight in the water, but more like seeing a glowstick...like being a human glow stick. And when you get out of the water, your body and swimsuit sparkle and twinkle. Even if you have people in your party that don't want to get in the water, they bring aboard a bucket for them to splash around in. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

Everyone speaking on the tour was VERY knowledgeable about the area and the processes going on. It was like getting a little eco-history lesson too.

The tour begins at around 5PM and ends at around 10PM. We got back to San Juan at around 11PM. Basically, LOVED this tour and definitely recommend it.

1  Thank ajolliver
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We took two tours with East Island: the evening bio bay tour in Vieques and the day trip on the sailing catamaran for snorkeling. Both were awesome trips that I would definitely do again. I got great directions to the dock that were very easy to follow. Since driving around PR proved to be a little difficult at times, this was a nice thing to have.

Bio Bay Trip:
I am prone to pretty bad sea sickness, and was nervous about this trip. The whole ride was 30-45 minutes, and while I did get a little sick by the end it wasn't too bad. I had taken dramamine as a precaution before getting on board. The staff was friendly and tried to get a party going, but it seemed a little hard over the noise of the engine and the rolling of the ship. Dinner was pretty average, nothing terrible just nothing to write home about. Once we got to the bay and got out for swimming (after the very very very bumpy bus ride to the beach), everything was wonderful and was a totally unique experience.

Snorkeling Trip:
I was orignially planning to go on the Culebra trip, but I feared getting seasick on the longer trip to Culebra and called to cancel. The person on the phone was very nice and explained all the things that would happen so I could decide if I wanted to take the risk. In the end she suggested the sailing trip, which was closer to shore and less prone to those rolling waves that make me feel awful. I'm completely glad I listened to her and took that trip instead of cancelling altogether. Despite having not enough wind to really sail full speed, the crew made the best of it and were very entertaining. The catamaran was beautiful and has plenty of space for everyone to spread out and enjoy the sun. We got good instructions on how to use the snorkeling gear and they provide optional floatys in case you don't swim very well. Snacks, lunch, and copious drinks were provided free of charge the entire time.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I guess I'm just agreeing with all the other great reviews of this group. But it really was fun. Boat ride over to the island was about 45 min, and even though they didn't open up the bar during this time they made sure that your cup was never empty as the fun and helpful crew were constantly coming around. When we got there you're free to jump in or hang around for some direction. I felt the direction was a little lite, but I never felt unsafe at all as you're free to ask as many questions and spend some one on one time with the crew as they explain things to you. Oh yeah, and the bar was open when we got there, so..... Then another quick trip to another beach, beware that you do have to swim to shore, so protect your camera, as you will want to take pictures. They do have plastic ziplock bags for you. After a couple of hours it's off back to docks. It was an amazing, unforgettable experience. Can't wait to do it again.

1  Thank Reignofjerm