“Ready to Change Your Life?”

Moonlight Bay Hostel
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This heavenly like hostel was my first destination when I arrived to Puerto Rico and became my last when I realized that this was the greatest place I have ever stayed. Being my third time traveling Puerto Rico I was very comfortable and ready for all the adventures; Moonlight Bay showed me wonderful activities, explorations, and thrills. I met amazing travelers from all around the world and we spent a lot of time at the hostel; either partying and BBQ'n on the roof, or watching movies and listening to music in the commons area. Sleeping arrangements were very comfortable and the place was very clean. It really had all the amenities one would need to feel like home. I will go here to die.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Zachary B

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and my only regret is not staying longer! The beds are extremely comfortable. We contemplated staying in Culebra for a night but quickly dismissed that idea when we realized how comfortable we were in our room and again, our beds! The place is modern and clean. All 3 of the staff members were awesome and they made you feel like you're at home! They were very kind, helpful, resourceful and fun! They pointed us to exactly what we were looking for and where we wanted to go. I would definitely go back again and spend more time exploring that part of the island. Great job MoonLight!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kay R
Reviewed June 30, 2013

So, let me just start off by saying that I had a great time!!! This is one of the cleanest Hostels I've ever stayed at... and I've been around! ;) The staff was very helpful on making sure i got tickets to the ferry on a weekend! Even made the call to Corbin Power Sports to reserve tickets so that i wouldn't have to wait in line! They pointed me in the direction to this cool bar that's down the street that's a 10 min ferry ride to a little island. All in all, I had a really nice time with the guests who were staying at the hostel! Cool crowed! Ill definitely be making my way back here and hopefully doing some work/stay to travel the island a bit more! O.... and the rooftop has an awesome view and AMAZING breeze!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the 6 bed Mixed and it was just enough people to have a nice time but not too many to wh...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RivsLuna
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had a great time staying at this hostel. It was a 2 minute walk from the ferry dock to Culebra, so it was in a great location. The rooftop patio was fun to hang out on. The hostel was very clean and there was plenty of hot water in the bathrooms. All in all it was a great hostel to stay in.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, stay in one of the private rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Unless you must stay in Fajardo to get to Vieques or Culebra I wouldn't suggest staying here.

As far as the hostel goes, we got the feeling that we were begging them for a place to stay even though the hostel was booked and paid for. No one want's to feel like they are unwanted in a place, especially when they are paying to stay there.

They shouldn't advertise breakfast, because it's just pancakes on a griddle in a small, dirty kitchen. The rooms have NO ventilation and there were beer bottles underneath the bed.

As far as the staff goes, the tall, heavy guy and and the girl who works there seemed unhappy by our presence. I'm not sure why, as I have never seen them before. The girl even tried to remind us about "not taking towels", after giving us very dirty ones. Yet it seemed like a regular occurrence for them to sleep on the hallway couches and/or any unoccupied rooms.

While the rest of the staff was quite rude, the short guy with black hair was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: If you're staying at this hostel just to get to Vieques or Culebra, simply go to the surf shop a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pgbk87
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was really an excellent place to stay when you are spending most of your time in Puerto Rico traveling or on the beach anyway. Comfortable beds (really), warm showers, and clean accomodations were really all we wanted. Also only a 3 min walk to the Fajardo-Culebra, Fajardo-Vieques ferry station, and you really have to get there early (5am for the 9am ferry) to get tickets, so it helps to be only 3 min away... We ended up standing in line in shifts so some of the early folks went back to the hostel and went back to sleep after their shift... I would definitely recommend it - bathrooms are private and clean, off the main hallway, and because we were a big group and it wasn't too crowded, we had one room to ourselves!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shilpsmh
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place is terrible!!! If you're interested in the ferries in Fajardo the idea of staying in a cheap and convenient place is attractive. However, this place is not it unless you are a regular visitor to crummy hostels then this place would fit right in.

The "free parking" was street parking outside. The "free breakfast" was literally the aunt Jemima pancake mix, syrup and coffee/ tea. The kitchenette was a toaster oven, fridge and an electric two burner stove top thing. The kitchen area was very small, it felt crowded with 3 people in there.

Previous reviews said it was clean. Again it depends on the other guest at the time. We were not that fortunate. There were dirty dishes left over night, the showers had towels left in and at one point there was no toilet paper in either bathroom. Also, there were beer bottles under our bed. They did laundry pretty late one night and the noise could be heard in our room making it hard to sleep.

The staff were rude and not helpful to me although I saw them chatting among themselves. When we left we literally gave the reception guy the key and he said nothing. It was not very welcoming, not clean, and not what I expected based on what was advertised. I'm not sure who those people are giving excellent reviews.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bgi-bze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Moonlight Bay Hostel? Share your experiences!