My finace and I went to las casitas because her aunt happens to own property there. A couple things that we did made this one of the nicest vacation memories I can think of. First off, rent a car in san juan its MANDATORY! This allows you to leave the resort which is crucial because resort food is triple priced. You can easily make trips to Wal_Mart the Liquor store or local fast food or...even BK or Churches chicken LOL. I will say that the casitas side is a bit nicer and more secluded than the el conquistador (the hotel) side. On the casitas side the infinity pools are spectacular and on the late nights we were the only ones there. We went across to palamino island one of the days and it was nice we opted to do a kayak and we went about 100 yards off the coast and found a small island that was no more than 1/2 acre. The best thing we did was renting a car and also bring a fodor's travelers book. From the book we learned about a couple of cultural options that they would never tell you about on the resort. LIke the town of Loiza that is known for its African ancestry we went there and took pics in the town square. We also drove to the rain forest which was no more than 15 minutes away, luquillo beach, we went to san jaun one night as well.
One of the reasons I would really recommend driving is because it allows you to see so much more it greatly expands your food options and it allows you to be in charge of your destiny a bit more (again liquor store walmart gorcery store and fast food are less than 10 min drive). We talked to people who lived there about their favorite places to eat which is the SECOND best thing we ever did. Never got a bad recommendation. The best place was called Estrella del Norte. I had some conch with garlic and my lad had the grilled lobster which was $25 compared to the $50+ at the resort! The lady at the souviner shop recommended it and wrote down the spelling we did the rest its located about 2 miles from the resort and it was soooo good and about a 1/3 of the price of the resort food. When we went to go get directions from concierge it turns out that restaurant is one of his favorites and is owned by his mother in law. We also ate a a GREAT place called La Parilla near luquillo beach; the hot sauce was so good we had to buy a bottle and wished we would have gotten two!
All in all I would recommend this place to familes and couples who are willing to travel to get to the best of what PR has to offer. I forgot to mention that the resort also has a very nice waterpark which Im sure would be a hit for the travlers with kids. Also the Golden Door Spa give you pampering like non other I had a citrus sea salt scrub and the entire experience was....excuse my frence but organsmic is the only word I can think of..
The only caveat is that the experience at the hotel and in the casitas is probably quite differnt if at all possible request to be in las casitas village and not in el conquistador..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Casitas Village is an enclave of private villas that enjoy sweeping ocean views, fully equipped kitchens, personal concierges and butler service. Among many pleasures, enjoy an expansive waterpark, scuba dive, ride horseback, golf or choose from a renowned menu of soothing treatments at the Waldorf Astoria Spa. Las Casitas Village has long been known as the jewel of the Caribbean and has accumulated a list of prestigious awards and accolades including a 4-diamond rating by AAA. Welcome to Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo