“Paradise in the Caribbean, my favorite vacation spot!”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Woodstock, Georgia
“Paradise in the Caribbean, my favorite vacation spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

I have stayed at the El Conquistador several times, so I knew by staying at Las Casitas we couldn't lose. I was right! Las Casitas is everything the El conquistador has and more. We loved it! My family stayed at a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom villa. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and Palamino Island. It was quiet and peaceful. Las Casitas is private, so guests from the El Conquistador cannot use the amenities, but Las Casitas guests use the amenities at the El Conquistador. We enjoyed dining at the Strip House and Sting Ray Cafe at the El Conquistador. Expect to spend $300 or $400 on dinner for 4 or more if you get wine. There is a great kids program in the evenings for ages 5 and up. It's called club Pirata, it is upstairs in the El Conquistador near the restaurants. Parents can drop their kids off while dining. The kids get pizza, drinks, popcorn, cotton candy, big screen video games, pool table, ping pong and movies.

3 Thank acequeen
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear acequeen,

Though several years have passed I wanted to make sure we acknowledged you review and thanked you for sharing your positive experience at Las Casitas Village with our TripAdvisor community.

All of us here thank you for being such a loyal guest of the Resort and are looking forward to welcoming you back in Paradise.

Maxence Bonnamain
Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

Booked this and knew that the reviews were "great but very expensive". Rooms are clean, great views, quiet and separate from the BIG HOUSE which is like a cruise ship on land. Service providers are bilingual and willing to bend over backwards. We booked a 3 bedroom which was perfect for the six of us. Las Casitas has some private pools that aren't open to Big House occupants. Perk. We have a kitchen which we use for breakfast and lunch. Went to Walmart for food and liquor and spent $ 200 for the week. Contrast to first night room service: $275 for 6 people (sandwiches, 2 bottles of beer and a modestly priced red wine). Rent a car, eat out and do not expect peace by the pools. The NY crowd is LOUD and seems to have 6 children under the age of four hopped on red bull and sprite. Do not go to Starbucks after 7 am as the food is gone and the lines are long. Service at StingRays and Strip House is incompetent. The food is good but the bill for six was $500 with only three drinkers ~ that was one bottle of modestly priced red wine. That means, a three hundred percent mark up on a twenty dollar bottle of wine. We ate at Passion Por El Fogon, which is down the street in Fajardo. The best food and service thus far. We are trying out Estacion tomorrow night. Will keep you posted. HIgh speed internet is $15 per day per computer. Free in Starbucks...all for now!

4 Thank NorthernSpyMa
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2009

We just returned from a 5 day stay at Las Casitas Village in February 2009. Our party included my husband, my five year old son, my seven year old son and me. Overall, we had a good time, but the service did not live up to our expectations for a 4star property. Our casitas was good size and fairly clean, however, our toilet backed up every time we used it and the response time from the hotel staff was way too long. In addition, the room was not stocked as it should have been, short on towels, no coffee etc. To make matters worse on the the last night we found a 2 inch roach in our sofa bed. The quality of the food was also pretty low and outrageously expensive. It is just about impossible to eat at a restaurant for less than $25-$30 per person ( and this was at the grill by the pool). While the facility is very nice and includes golf, tennis, beach and water park there is virtually nothing outside the resort, which makes it tough for non beach lovers (like my husband). I recommend this resort to golf/tennnis lovers but keep in mind that your all-in price can get be very high and you will not be getting Four Season quality.

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — isolated location, poor service
1 Thank kimmyg_9
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

Absolutely amazing. Great staff with excellent service.
Amazing ocean views with the best infinity pool in the caribbean.
Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Location
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Alex1Miami
Dear alex1miami,

Though it has been several years since your review I wanted to make sure we acknowledged it. We are all delighted to learn that you enjoyed the Resort ocean views and caring service.

Thank you again for sharing your great experience at Las Casitas Village with our TripAdvisor community.

All of us here are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Maxence Bonnamain
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2008

We stayed in a one bedroom ocean casita. The view alone was worth the money. The whole resort seemed to be about 10% full, which I didn't mind because it was so quiet and peaceful. My husband would've enjoyed a game of beach volleyball, but there weren't enough people to play. The service we had was top notch (Pablo especially). We were wondering if the hotel was full if we would've had such great service. My husband loves to golf, but he is always disappointed in caribbean golf courses, but not the course here. He was impressed with the course and thought the clubs were above par for rentals. They had his shoes & clubs waiting for him in a cart when he arrived for his tee time. Upon completion, he was handed a cold towel. Nice touch.

The Spa: I need a whole paragraph to describe the spa. It was the best spa I've ever been to. Unlike most spas, you actually felt like they wanted you to stay and enjoy the amenities. We went to the spa so often we joked that it cost more than our casita. The treatment rooms were quiet (usually at spas I can hear people outside in the hallways, etc). I like the fact that they added in the 20% for tips so you didn't have to worry about it. Some people might not like that or feel that 20% is excessive, but we usually tip 20%, so I liked it. It just seemed like the spa thought of everything. From good cold refreshing water, to iced down cold towels, to awesome hair/body products. They had a "tea room" where they served tea (obviously) and had huge futons and couches which were so comfortable and clean. Everything in the entire spa was clean and good smelling. They even had orchids out between the sinks. They had clean brushes/combs and every other bathroom necessity you could think of. Instead of just handing you a pair of one size fits all slippers, here they had your actual size which I appreciated.

Restaurants: OVERPRICED beyond belief. Blossoms was so mediocre I was surprised. Our meal was over $200.00 and I felt it was worth $80 total. The steakhouse did have a good strip and I had excellent tuna, but a bottle of win that should cost $40 in a restaurant was over $100 here. Otello's is no longer there, but it was the opening night for a new italian restaurant & that was the one really good meal we had. The outrageous bill didn't bother me as much b/c I enjoyed the meal.

Ballyhoos was closed due to construction. We had friends that loved hanging out at this bar so we were disappointed alittle bit. But since the resort was so empty it probably wouldn't have been a lively hotspot anyway.

Casino: There's a picture of a craps table on their website which does not exist. There is no craps. I didn't care, but my husband loves craps. They had 1 full table of blackjack going & I joined five other people and sat down at another table, but they didn't have enough dealers & we had to wait almost an hour for them to open our table. I've never had to sit around and wait to lose money before. Annoying. Since the place was so empty, the casino seemed boring. Not enough sights and sounds. It was probably a good thing b/c we only went the one time and probably saved ourselved hundreds of dollars.

We rented a car outside the resort at Cabrera's car rental. Waaaaay cheaper. We did the rainforest thing & it was great. We were slightly disappointed in the Bio Bay. You are no longer allowed to get into the water, so you can only see so much when putting your hand in the water or moving your oar around. The funnest thing we did was an ATV tour in Luquillo at a family owned ranch. They had horses (ones that actually looked very healthy and alert), go karts, mountain bikes and ATV's. It was called Hacienda Carabali's and the tour guide we had was fantastic. He spoke in english & spanish.

Overall, we loved Puerto Rico more than any other beach destination we've been to. There are so many activities and so much beautiful nature here. The weather was perfect and so was the hotel. We're already planning a return (hopefully in February). We feel like we did so much while here, but only just scraped the surface of what P.R. has to offer. We didn't explore Old San Juan at all & wished we had. Next time for sure.

So, pack your wallet (you'll need it here) and don't be cheap or you won't enjoy yourself here. We LOVED it!!!!!!

• Liked — view, entire casita
  • Disliked — super expensive
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rabbit1006
Dear Luxury Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with our TripAdvisor community. Though many years have passed I wanted to make sure we acknowledged you review. We so appreciated that you pointed out all the great features of the Resort and caring service from your butler Pablo.

We look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions if you have not visited us since then.

M. Bonnamain
Daphne, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

We returned from a trip to Las Casitas in Fajardo, PR two weeks ago. A shuttle was waiting for us at the airport ($60.00 rt) and we had a pleasant ride for 1 1/2 hours till we arrived. The property is huge and Las Casitas is situated atop a small mountain overlooking the Caribean. We didn't realize that Las Casitas is basically joined to the El Conquistador Casino. It is separated by a little strip of property and a pool. Las Casitas is the lovely, quiet property with orchids growing on palm trees, while El Conquistador is a lively place with restaurants and gift stores etc. Don't buy water, as they come to your room every evening and ask if you'd like bottled water. (I did drink tap water there on one occasion and had no problems). There were a couple of little stores where you could buy sandwiches and also a starbucks. Of course, anything you buy in the store is really expensive. The restaurants were expensive and food was blah. I don't mind paying 25.00-40.00 for excellent food, but.......pretty disappointing. We found that the best bet for breakfast was the Caribe Cafe. We were disapointed that there's no place to get a cocktail at Las Casitas. We went to the infinity pool one evening and there's no bar service. The view was so fabulous and there was a breeze and a glass of wine would have been great.
We skipped the breakfast at Las Casitas. It was expensive and I saw a bird walking around amidst the food, while the employees ignored it and continued chatting. We thought there would be a beach, but there isn't one on the property. There is a beach though! You take a free tram to the bottom of the mt. from El Conquistador, then take a free ferry to El Palamino Island. The resort owns this island and it is beautiful!! I sat under palm trees, sipping a mojito and reading Jimmy Buffet's book "A Pirate Turns 50" while looking out at the water. Oh my goodness... all the various colors of blue and green!! We rented snorkeling equipment for $16.00 and proceeded to swim to another, smaller island nearby. There are several coral reefs and the snorkeling was great. We ate at the Iguana Cafe and it was fine. As we were sitting there, a rooster walked by, then a long black lizard and then a rabbit. I saw an iguana when trying to take a short cut across a field to the Rest room. Anyway, this Palamino island was my favorite thing to do and it was free.
We wanted to see Old San Juan and El Junque rain forest, but we had already spent so much on food, so headed to enterprise rental car at El Conquistador. Javier was great and got us fixed up for a day for 89.00. We saved by not doing those tours and did it our way. The rain forest was beautiful although we didn't see any green parrots or birds. We did do the touristy deal of walking to the big waterfall and it was worth it. Along the way there are all kinds of swimming holes and other smaller waterfalls you can sit in, but when we got to the big one, a guy helped me up the ledge and I leaned back under the falls. You talk about exhilarating!! I'm 48 so anyone can do it!
San Juan was ok. I'm used to New Orleans and it seemed like a less charming version of that. Not that NO is always that charming. :-) Anyway, we did stock up on a few grocery items and wine. We stopped at a local restaurant called Racine's (sp ?) and had the Mufungo. It was good. One thing about PR, is we never saw vegetables on the menu, unless you call ice burg lettuce and a slice of tomato your veggie!
My poor travel companion was hoping to get some salsa dancing under her belt. The only place around was a bar at El Conquistador. We waited and waited till they opened one night. Alll we saw were teenagers/college age kids!! Go figure!
We finally got a tip about local food. We were told to go down the tram, through the marina parking lot and then continue around the side of the mountain on a little road. Sure enough there were a few little restaurants. Nothing fancy and all open air, but festive and fun. We went to Oceanview and they had a band with steel drums etc. Very fun and of course we had more Mofongo!! This time around we were with the locals and the food was good and reasonable. The people in PR were so nice and friendly. Also,
no begging! My travels in Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Mexico, and Barbados involved people coming up to me on the beach in the water or whereever, trying to sell stuff.
Our room at Las Casitas was lovely and the bathroom was great. There is a coffee maker, blow dryer, iron and big magnifying mirror. Only complaint is the lack of any bar service and no nice restaurant with good food. Very beautiful, romantic property.

8 Thank alusa
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

The overall trip was fantastic due to a man named Carlos. He was one of the drivers the first night who took us to town for dinner. We had him drive us all over the rest of the week.

As for the hotel, the concerige stunk~!! We booked tours/excursions that were cancelled after we booked them. When we tried to re-book something else they weren't "on top of it" as they should have been. The tours were either "filled" or "not enough people" and that was it. No rebooking, rescheduling, NOTHING! We stayed in the Casitas which came with a butler. We called 4 times for him to help us with groceries and excursion booking. It was quite annoying that we had to call concierge that many times for our butler. Not to really mention that it took 4 days for our butler to show up. Later we found out that they were on somewhat of a vacation schedule and we had a "fill in". No problem here, but they could of told us from the beginning.

The hotels private island was called Palomino Island. You had to take a short 15 minute boat ride and needed towels to take with you. Two mornings that we went there were no towels. Concierge said they would take care of it. They did not, we did. We literally went to where they were doing laundry and asked for towels. Room keys didn't work and dishes dropped out from the kitchen on to my head and than broke. Speaking of broken, the coffee pot broke and we had to get that replaced too. The fountain outside our room worked the first 2 days and after that was a puddle with a statue.

Upon leaving for the airport, we had to call concierge 3 times to find out why our luggage wasn't picked up.

Not everything in the hotel was ricketty and bad. The staff at the bar area by the casitas were so much fun and amazing. One afternoon the skies opened up and it started to pour. My husband and I sat by the bar and the bartender made us "specialty" drinks and the manager went and made us quesadillas and gave us info on Puerto Rico. They were really so nice and hospitable. The hotel should be thankful to have them on staff.

If it wasn't for Carlos our driver (as mentioned above), we wouldn't have seen the real flavor of Puerto Rico and enjoyed our trip despite the hotel. He took us to El Morro Castle and took us to a restaurant for lunch in Old San Juan (The Parrot Club) which was fantastic.

Another day he picked us up and we went to El Junque Rainforest where he gave us a private tour. He even explained some of the flowers. He was SO knowledgeable and funny it was a pleasure. For lunch he took us to Luqilla Plaza and the beautiful beach there. The plaza has authentic Puerto Rican food since there are owned by the locals. Do not miss eating at La Barilla and than going to see the beach too. Food is amazing.

For the best mofongo and food go to Pasion. Another local restaurant but amazing and I mean AMAZING food.

Another day trip go to the Bacardi Factory. Learn how rum is distilled, the family history, etc. Not to mention shots of rum and/or drinks.

There is so much to do and experience in beautiful Puerto Rico. Dinner and lunches definitely take advantage of the local restaurants such as what I mentioned as well as Mios and not forget a restaurant called La Estacion. Fabulous food from a couple where the husband is a born and bred New Yorker and the wife is originally from Puerto Rico. You can go in shorts and sandals and just quick back. It's a barbecue grill and the servers will navigate you through the menu.

As you can read, most of this review is about what we did outside of the hotel, because the hotel wasn't that fabulous to write about.

Other places to go see and do is a trip to Culebra and a trip to Vieques.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everywhere we wanted to go there was a distance to get there.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
15 Thank ShazzG
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear ShazzG,

It has been many years since your review. While your review was not answered back then, it is hopefully never too late to do the right thing. It pains us that the experience you had of our resort was not conform to your expectations. There have been many new and exciting enhancements to both Las Casitas Village and El Conquistador since then. It would bean honor for us to welcome you back.

Please do contact us at LasCasitasConcierge@LuxuryResorts.com so we may assist with your return

Warm Regards,

M. Bonnamain
Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,777 reviews
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!