Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Good option for families”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We had a fun week at Las Casitas in March -- family of four, plus grandma.

The pros:

1. Great room for us. 3 bedrooms, 3 baths for less than many, many other resorts in the Caribbean. Kitchen was great -- we stocked up at a local grocery (Ralph's in Fajardo, 10 mins away by car). Killer views. Although this wasn't cheap, I felt it was reasonable value. Our villa was near the manor house, which was convenient for the shuttles.

2. Beautiful views at every turn. Can't overstate this. Look one way, Palomino Island, Culebra, and on a clear day, St Thomas. Look another, Vieques and Fajardo. Turn around and you've got great views of El Yunque. Truly beautiful views wherever you look.

3. Las Casitas has its own pools, which are convenient, especially with two small kids. Great views from the infinity pool.

4. No language barrier. None of us speak Spanish, but we were consistently understood and met with a smile.

5. Family friendly. This is a great place to bring the kids. My 3 year old especially loved the scavenger hunt across the resort. The funicular was a big hit.

Cons:

1. Rooms could use some updating. Furnishings and decor are somewhat tired, wireless is useless, despite several calls to help.

2. Food is adequate, not great. Use Opentable to make reservations at El Conquistador, and take the frequent shuttle to get there. Overall, food could be improved a notch or two at all of the restaurants. There is a restaurant in Las Casitas by the infinity pool which is a missed opportunity -- this could be a great spot for afternoon cocktails or dinner with a view, but it only has a limited lunch menu. Go to Ralph's, stock your kitchen, and make your own breakfast. The buffet isn't worth your money.

3. Location -- although it's beautiful (truly), you will be somewhat isolated and will need a car. In retrospect, I would have rented one. We booked our own airport transfers (private, cheaper than hotel), but used a taxi the rest of the week. You can rent a car at the main hotel, which might be a good option for some people. If you want to do anything off-site (Luquillo, beaches, restaurants, etc), you will need a car. Roads in Puerto Rico are in very good repair.

4. Resort is HUGE -- much bigger than I thought -- and if you have small kids, a stroller, and/or arthritis, you'll want to take shuttles to get around. Although Las Casitas is relatively quiet, the hotel is crowded and busy.

5. Beach is a day trip. Although there's something fun about taking a boat to a private island to use the beach, you'll need to plan your day around catching the ferries and shuttles. Although you could make a quick trip to the pool, it's probably 45 minutes from Las Casitas to the beach at Palomino. That being said, the beaches there are great. Go early, get good seats.

Overall, I think we'd go again. The room worked well for us, and we got it for a reasonable rate. I'd rent a car to have a little more freedom.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Doug R
Maria V, Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Reviewed May 20, 2014

exceptional service and experience. it was a memorable experience. I do recommend El Conquistador- Las Casitas Village. fun for the whole family. rooms cleanliness excellent. beautiful views, excellent location. can't wait till my next stay.was a great choice!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I travelled to Las Casitas in March 2014 and absolutely loved (most of) it. Everything about this place is gorgeous, but they really try to nickel and dime you on everything, which is frustrating. But, if you are a little bit prepared, this can actually work out in your favor.

Getting there/Getting around:

I definitely recommend renting a car. The rental car cost was something like $120 for a week, and an airport bus from the hotel is $80-100 each way. Take PR 187 for a while instead of PR 3 so you will get to drive along the beach. Stop for a drink or a snack on the kiosks along the way. Plus during the week, a car is very helpful to go out to dinner (more on this below) or take excursions out to the rainforest. Renting a car saved us a ton of money.

Rooms:

As a Hilton HHonors gold member, we got a complementary room upgrade which was awesome. Our room looked out over the blue ocean and every morning we had coffee and breakfast on our balcony. The room was good size and very clean. We had a mini-fridge which came in handy.

What to do:

The resort property is huge and we had a lot of fun walking around and exploring. There are a lot of different pools, and it seems like at least one is always empty, giving you some nice privacy. The infinity pool is incredible, and I echo every other reviewers thoughts on it. My one complaint is that I wish it was adults only. There are a lot of kids running around there making it a little tough to sleep by the pool - but thats just me.

However, the best part of this resort is Palomino Island. It is just breathtaking. The views are fantastic. One tip that I have is to wear walking shoes and bring your flip-flops with you. That way, you can hike for 10 minutes to the opposite side of the island and sit alone on a secluded beach for as long as you want. It is paradise. Also, if you have a car, stop by the grocery store and bring your own food/drinks in a mini-cooler bag, it will save you a ton of money.

As far as other things on the property, there is a gym, tennis courts, golf course, spa, and all of the facilities of the El Conquistador property below.

Eating:

This was my single biggest complaint about the resort. The food is average at best, but they charge 5 star prices. I would honestly compare the food quality to a place like TGIFridays or something. I really don't mind paying a lot of money for food if the food is good, but this was not the case. For example the first night we were there we ate at the upscale seafood place. The caesar salad (which they have at every restaurant) looked like something you would find in a grocery store. The shrimp risotto was adequate, but not something I would ever consider paying $30+ for (too oily, overcooked).
My biggest recommendation is to stop at the grocery store to buy food/wine/beer. Every morning we ate fresh fruit and juice from the grocery store out on our balcony, and a few nights we had a bottle of wine watching the sunset. Also, there are a number of restaurants outside of the resort. La Estacion is a 2 minute drive and the food is really great. There are a couple of other kiosks in Fajardo right across from the beach that had some excellent food and drinks also.

The Bottom Line: This place is unbelievable, but the food is not great and its over priced. However, everything else about Las Casitas is 5 star, and I very highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Aneel D

Reviewed May 18, 2014

With my mother and aunt, this place was beautiful.. We had a casita, super cute, we were able to enjoy the pool right outside our room.. We wished we could have stayed here longer however, only came to Puerto Rico for Labor Day weekend... Wanted to experience this side of the island and glad we did.. It is a bit pricey however, you get what you paid for, place is clean, safe, and there is a ton to do on location.. If your like us and decide to do an excursion snorkeling adventure, your only a few minutes away and they have a driver on site available to you :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 14, 2014

the sitting of property is beautiful staff excellent we found there are to many stairs to climb at las casitas golf course is truly great our room was nice but to much noise and water came under the dooe into our room when it rained fairly hard this happened three times called house keeping and they came right away to clean up water.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charlesnb

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had to visit PR for business but decided to extend the stay for leisure. My boyfriend and I chose the Waldorf and are thankful we did. From check-in to check-out the experience was top-notch. I will admit after reading some of the reviews on Trip advisor I was a bit nervous, but I must say how much I disagree with what some of the other guests had stated; I did not experience anything but perfection. The staff is extremely welcoming and helpful. Juan Perez was truly the best and made our stay even more enjoyable than imagined. Thank You! The hotel itself is very kid friendly but also caters to adults; it was the perfect combination. Service was timely and efficient. Our Trip: Dining- We never waited for a table or service. The food was great; all PR specialty dishes were amazing. I can't comment on the Chicken Tenders or burgers, but yet again I didn't come to PR to eat the same food I could back home. Breakfast (Room Service)- The portions were huge and the meal itself was setup in room by the most cheerful and helpful staff. That morning it did rain so breakfast took a bit longer than expected, however, the staff did call to tell us about the delay (which in my book is perfectly fine- it was raining cats and dogs out)- I found it very kind and professional of them to call. Zero complaints Hotel- The hotel is large and is divided into two sections; Las Casitas and El Conquistador. We stayed at Las Casitas which was a bit more secluded. I have read reviews about people having to walk too much to get from point a to point b. In my experience, there was always staff in golf carts, more than happy, to give us a lift. The grounds are beautiful and my boyfriend and I enjoyed taking a stroll around the property. I would tell anyone who asks about my experience here and insist they stay here as well. Work will bring me back to PR in three weeks and I will most certainly be staying at Las Casitas again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Moira J

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My family and I travelled to the Las Casitas Vilas at the El Conquistador in April for a business trip. The resort was stunning, but a bit far from the airport (over an hour). It was a little bit tired and run down, but it was very clean. The villas were very nice, but the bathrooms needed some TLC. The size of the resort was a little much, though. When saying at Las Casitas, you could use the Casitas pools, and all the amenities at El Conquistador. However, only people staying in a Casita can go to a Casita pool. Also, there is no beach in the main hotel area. From the Casitas, you must ride in a funicular (tram/trolley) down to the marina. From the marina, you take a 15 minute boat ride to Palomino Island. Even though it is a hassle to get to the beach(s), it is fabulous once you get there (besides for some rocks and corals in the ocean).

Room Tip: Villas closer to the main hotel are easier to get to.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Maria Vega

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!