We had a fun week at Las Casitas in March -- family of four, plus grandma.
1. Great room for us. 3 bedrooms, 3 baths for less than many, many other resorts in the Caribbean. Kitchen was great -- we stocked up at a local grocery (Ralph's in Fajardo, 10 mins away by car). Killer views. Although this wasn't cheap, I felt it was reasonable value. Our villa was near the manor house, which was convenient for the shuttles.
2. Beautiful views at every turn. Can't overstate this. Look one way, Palomino Island, Culebra, and on a clear day, St Thomas. Look another, Vieques and Fajardo. Turn around and you've got great views of El Yunque. Truly beautiful views wherever you look.
3. Las Casitas has its own pools, which are convenient, especially with two small kids. Great views from the infinity pool.
4. No language barrier. None of us speak Spanish, but we were consistently understood and met with a smile.
5. Family friendly. This is a great place to bring the kids. My 3 year old especially loved the scavenger hunt across the resort. The funicular was a big hit.
1. Rooms could use some updating. Furnishings and decor are somewhat tired, wireless is useless, despite several calls to help.
2. Food is adequate, not great. Use Opentable to make reservations at El Conquistador, and take the frequent shuttle to get there. Overall, food could be improved a notch or two at all of the restaurants. There is a restaurant in Las Casitas by the infinity pool which is a missed opportunity -- this could be a great spot for afternoon cocktails or dinner with a view, but it only has a limited lunch menu. Go to Ralph's, stock your kitchen, and make your own breakfast. The buffet isn't worth your money.
3. Location -- although it's beautiful (truly), you will be somewhat isolated and will need a car. In retrospect, I would have rented one. We booked our own airport transfers (private, cheaper than hotel), but used a taxi the rest of the week. You can rent a car at the main hotel, which might be a good option for some people. If you want to do anything off-site (Luquillo, beaches, restaurants, etc), you will need a car. Roads in Puerto Rico are in very good repair.
4. Resort is HUGE -- much bigger than I thought -- and if you have small kids, a stroller, and/or arthritis, you'll want to take shuttles to get around. Although Las Casitas is relatively quiet, the hotel is crowded and busy.
5. Beach is a day trip. Although there's something fun about taking a boat to a private island to use the beach, you'll need to plan your day around catching the ferries and shuttles. Although you could make a quick trip to the pool, it's probably 45 minutes from Las Casitas to the beach at Palomino. That being said, the beaches there are great. Go early, get good seats.
Overall, I think we'd go again. The room worked well for us, and we got it for a reasonable rate. I'd rent a car to have a little more freedom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Casitas Village is an enclave of private villas that enjoy sweeping ocean views, fully equipped kitchens, personal concierges and butler service. Among many pleasures, enjoy an expansive waterpark, scuba dive, ride horseback, golf or choose from a renowned menu of soothing treatments at the Waldorf Astoria Spa. Las Casitas Village has long been known as the jewel of the Caribbean and has accumulated a list of prestigious awards and accolades including a 4-diamond rating by AAA. Welcome to Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo