“Puerto Rico Paradise”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

First of all let me say that the resort had an absolutely breathtaking view from all directions. There were plenty of excursions and things to do at the resort. We loved Palomino Island and were told by other vacationers that Culebra Island is even more beautiful. To me the only negative was the casita my husband and I stayed in. The thermostat didn't work and the room was freezing. The only other option was to turn it off (which we did). The curtains to the patio doors were torn. A glass pain in the patio door was cracked. The ceiling fan was peeling paint. The patio wasn't swept before our stay and I didn't feel that the floors had been cleaned good in the room. These are all things that should have been taken care of before our stay and I wonder why they weren't.

Room Tip: Our brother stayed in a room at the main hotel and it was much nicer than our casita (at the same pr...
2  Thank vgw0802
There are newer reviews for Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I think you need to know A LOT about La Casitas before you decide if it’s the right vacation for you. We specifically picked that resort because it said on the website and Trip Advisor that it had kitchenettes. We booked the standard room and when we got to the hotel there was no kitchenette in our room. When we complained, they explained that not all of the villas had fully equipped kitchens even though on EVERY room page of the hotel’s website it says that they do.
Since I booked the travel through American Express, I called them to complain. AE called LC to complain but the hotel manager said she had no kitchens in the entire La Casitas. The AE rep even said to her, “I’m looking at your website and you say you have kitchens in every room.” The woman just responded, “I’m not responsible for what it says on the website.”
When I complained to her directly (exhausted and tired and dying for a shower and a meal) she said, “Sorry, we have no kitchens. Besides there are not a lot of fully equipped kitchens in La Casitas—just smaller kitchenettes.” Later that night, she called to tell us that they found one for us, so we moved rooms. This room had an ocean view and was very nice, but in terms of the kitchenette, there was no microwave. Just a fridge, a blender and 2 burners (one was broken). She told me that someone saw that room and upgraded to a different room, but that story is also confusing—as she had earlier said they were fully booked when we first complained. Who knows?
Other reviews complained about the size of the resort. It is VERY big. Where we stayed in La Casitas North (we knew to ask for that because of other reviews) we could really walk very easily to the spa and main hotel. But, walking all the way to where the cable cars take you to the beach is a VERY far walk and one I wouldn’t want to do with kids. Also, taking a cable car down to a dock where I also have to get on a boat to go to the beach was a little much for me.
The spa was a whole other story. I booked a massage and a facial for two different days because I wanted to use the gym for both days. The first day was the massage—10 minutes in I had to stop it because it was so horrible. I’ve had massages all over the world and this woman had no technique. The spa manager was wonderful and rebooked the massage for two days later. So we got 3 full days of the spa—my facial was with Noelia and my massage was with Clidia and they were both AMAZING. The gym was also fantastic—no expense spared—and clean. We both enjoyed working out there.
There’s NOTHING to do at night. They have a game room that used to be their casino, but it’s really designed for families and kids. The resort does not do a good job of keeping trash cans emptied—we saw this at both the main hotel—El Conquistador—and La Casitas. The rooms were pretty clean but inconsistent—you could tell different people cleaned the rooms every day. Like one day, our kitchen garbage was emptied and the next day it was not.
The pool service at the Infinity pool was SO bad by the end we got up and got our own drinks. Two times the “butler” brought me drinks that were overflowing in the glasses, dripping on me, and when I asked for a napkin, he acted like I was a spoiled brat. The infinity pool bathroom was gross by the end of the day—I once had to ask for them to give me toilet paper. Not what you expect from a four star resort that was voted best in Puerto Rico.
The views are gorgeous but the service is spotty. If you’re going to stay there, just be aware of all the negative things people say and know that they are true. Personally, we booked the hotel on points, but if I had paid for it, I would be flaming mad.
Also, if you want a vacation with different things to do and see—this is not the place to stay. But if you’re looking to zone out and enjoy yourself then you might be pleased. We had a great time but we would never go back—the size of the resort combined with the inconsistent service as well as the price is just a no-no for us.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the north villas if you can. I would pay for the ocean side views. The standard r...
7  Thank AvaLee20902
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our family just returned home after enjoying our stay once again at Las Casitas. This was our 6th year and everytime we go, we are never disappointed. The entire staff at the Manor House is unparalleled; always extremely pleasant and helpful. Our fabulous butler, Carlos Mangual always manages to make our stay very special. I have to mention the housekeeping this year as we enjoyed special 'towel animals' on our beds nightly during the turn down service!! That staff was extremely courteous, as well. We thoroughly enjoy all the amenities of the property including breakfast at the Casitas Cafe each morning. The staff there couldn't be nicer! .We are booked again for next year and are already counting the days to our return to "Paradise".

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank delbymom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Whether you want to sit and relax or do some activities, there's no shortage of options at this resort. Enjoy beautiful grounds and outstanding accommodations. The infinity pool was definitely a favorite spot as well as the beach on Palomino island. For kids or adults who want a wet thrill, make sure to checkout the Coqui waterpark. They have a great mini-market and plenty of other shopping available, as well as a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel. Plus, you can rent a movie form one of the DVD rental machines located throughout the resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view are definitely worth the extra cost.
1  Thank HotelLounger
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The best family vacation ever! The property of las casitas is MAGNIFICENT. Truly breathtakingly beautiful. We were in a 3 bedroom oceanfront casita. It was HUGE. The kitchen was well equipped and we saved a lot by going to the supermarket at the beginning of the trip for cereal and milk, bread etc. You can order food thru the resort but it is VERY pricey. Better to go to Ralphs supermarket on Hwy 3 about 10 min from the resort and supply the kitchen for your stay. The restaurants at El Conquistador were expensive but very good. Especially loved Blossoms the asian cuisine restaurant. The pools had plenty of seating and were clean and beautiful. Starbucks and ice cream shop etc in main hotel were convenient. We were very happy to be staying at the tranquil Las Casitas and still have access to all the activities at El Conquistador. The transport system was easy and readily available for when we did not want to take the 15 minute walk. Our villa was the furthest from the E.C. hotel, which was not such a negative, bc it was so quiet. The view was spectacular from the large outdoor porch. We rented a car for the week which was cheaper than the airport transfers would have been for the 5 of us and gave us access to local restaurants and the supermarket, CVS for sunscreen etc. The villa came w a butler and he brought us on request a free case of water bottles for our stay. The only negative was that the air conditioning in one of the bedrooms was not working properly and was kind of loud. Getting to the beach is an event - elevators, funicular ride down the mountainside and then a ferry boat but once you are there it is easily one of the most beautiful beaches i have ever been to. We rented a kayak and paddled out to the tiny Palominito Island - WOW! Just beautiful. So much to do for my 3 teens we could not even get it all in to our 6 days. We went to ziplining and bio-kayaking and also used the spa. the spa and gym are nice, but there is a fee to use the fitness center if not getting a spa service. The fitness center in my opinion is a basic ammenity that should be included in the Casitas stay. The free fitness center in El Conquistador is very far, and not so nice.

Room Tip: The further from El Conquistador, the longer it takes to get to the beach etc. Ocean view is worth...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank njerseymom
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This was our 6th year going back to Las Casitas. It is a wonderful property with beautiful views. Lots to do. The staff is wonderful! My kids are already planning for next year and begging to stay longer!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Marc L
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Marc L,

I have just realized that I had never acknowledged your TripAdvisor review and wanted to correct this oversight. We are all very grateful for your continued loyalty to Las Casitas Village and consider you as a part of our extended family.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back home!

Warm regards,

Maxence Bonnamain
Director of Operations
Las Casitas Village, a Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was our second trip to Las Casitas. This trip was even better than our first one two years ago. The pool areas did not fill up until after Christmas so our first few days were really delightful. We spent a day at the beach, which was worth the trip. The restaurants are a little over priced but the food is generally good. I would highly recommend staying in the North Village as these units are closer to the main hotel which is where the big pool and restaurants are located.

Room Tip: The North Casitas are much closer to the main hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank stuart58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!