“Terrific Ocean View in Caribbean Comfort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Northern NJ
“Terrific Ocean View in Caribbean Comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We booked a 3 bedroom villa with ocean view for four nights. Yes, it is quite expensive, but we were able to share one residence for extended family (including in-laws). Each bedroom has its own full bath. All the rooms are very spacious. Lots of windows in back overlooking the coast, ocean, and islands down below (about 250 to 300 ft down the cliffs), with peaceful porch that includes table and chairs and reclining chairs. The property is beautiful and very well maintained. Although we did not play golf, the golf course looks fabulous and in great condition (with very little play), although probably very challenging (hills, narrow fairways, etc.). Casitas has three of its own pools, and we had one with two hot tubs right outside our door - - very convenient. I jumped in hot tub after arising, a great way to start the day. The cliff pool with wall overlooking the ocean gives a feeling of great luxury and tranquility, overlooking the ocean and islands. We had heard others complain about the service, but for most part, the employees were extremely responsive, friendly, and looking to help.

Before getting into more details, let's get to the peeves. Although this is rated as a luxury level resort, and is priced as such, and the villas are very nice, the villas inside are furnished fairly sparsely - - nothing too fancy, despite all the space. The living room and dining furniture are quite basic. The bedrooms have closets, but no chests of drawers to store clothes. The air conditioning is set-up so that each room has its own controls, and they seemed to work well, but the unit had a unique odor that stayed with our clothes through the rest of the trip and the trip home. It was not necessarily a bad odor, but not a good odor either. It was more like a like a cleansing or disinfecting agent odor. They advertise that the room comes with butler service, but we had basic maid service and nothing more (although we did not ask for anything more). We arrived prior to 4PM check-in at about 3PM, but our room was not ready. The desk said they would call us when the room was ready, so we wondered the property and took a ride over to the Conquistador hotel to explore while waiting. One would have thought they would call by 4PM for our room, but I had to call sometime around 4:40 to determine status. They said our room did not yet have all its amenities, but that we could get in (we had dinner reservations for 6PM, so anxious to get 6 people refreshed at Casitas and back to Conquistador for dinner). One amenity is supposed to be a stock of drinking water, but we did not have any in the room. My wife had to call the next day and inquire, and the hotel delivered a case of bottled water. For a 5 star resort paying a large nightly fee, one would have expected this to be taken care of by the hotel, and that the room would have been ready on time. Then, the hotel offered us nothing for the late room (we would have been happy if they said you can check out an our later, because we were late getting you checked in - - but nothing offered).

The villas have a kitchenette, but we did not buy and food and use the kitchen. We purchased the meal plan, because we had a combination of tween/teen kids and senior citizens. It would have been more time to get the entire crowd motivated and ready to drive off the property for meals, and I wanted to give everyone a break from cooking. The meal plan is expensive, but so is eating out anywhere nice in PR. I think we actually saved some money using the meal plan, assuming each person would have ordered the same thing off the menu for each meal. The breakfast buffet at Las Brisas restaurant at Conquistador hotel each morning was just OK - - nothing too extravagant. It was typical scrambled eggs, pancakes, potatoes, bacon, and sausage, as well as breads, fruits, and cereals - - but nothing more than that. We arose late each day, filled up on a late breakfast, and then typically waited till dinner, except for the kids, who often got some type of snack or food in between at the resort. We rotated to each of the four main dinner restaurants - - Strip House (steak), Blossoms (Japanese hibachi grill), Sting Ray (seafood), and the Italian restaurant. The meal plan entitles you to a three course meal, which would run easily over $50/person for food and soft drink if buying off the menu. In general, we each ordered different appetizers, meals, and desserts, and then shared as desired, so we could enjoy the variety. Service at all the restaurants was excellent, and the food at the dinner restaurants was quite good. We paid up, but we enjoyed it, and thought it was worthwhile if you want convenience (no need to drive off the resort), and very nice dinners. If you could buy just a dinner meal plan, I would consider that option, and leave the other meals to more of an ala carte approach using the variety of choices at the resort - - or buy food to use in the villa.

Other than the pools, we did not use many of the amenities, such as the spa, but did visit the private island one day, and me and either one or two of my kids used the water park on two days. The private island reminds me of Castaway Cay for Disney cruise. They have a nice beach, with ability to take horseback riding, or rent jet skis, etc., all for additional costs. We took the ferry ride out to the island on the first full day, because the weather was cloudy, just to see it. We ended up having some lunch at one of the two open air bar and grills, and hung out on the beach for awhile. The water park was clean and not crowded, but kind of expensive if you go before they cut the price in afternoon. The water park has a lazy river and three slides (one tube ride, one vertical speed body slide, and one winding body slide). The slides are not extreme, but still quite good. Without big crowds, we were able to go up and down with little to no waiting - - which meant walking many steps, but my daughter and I had had a blast there.

The one other amenity that we used was the work-out facilities. My daughter is a competitive gymnast, and must do strength and conditioning even when on vacation. We tried to use the workout facilities at the spa at Casitas, but even though I pleaded my case (my daughter is iin upper levels of USA Gymnastics, and needs mats to stretch and do pushups, and a bar to do chinups, but no use of machines, etc.), they would not let my daughter in the larger and nicer gym in the spa at Casitas. Instead, we had to use the gym facilities at Conquistador, which given the size of Conquistador, are not large and modern. They did not have any mats and they did not have a chinup bar (we had to use the Smythe machine bar). I have been maintaining a workout program for many years, and let's just say I was not impressed with the workout facilities at what is billed as a top notch resort.

Would I return to Casitas / Conquistador? Based on the cost relative to the facilities and the overall experience, despite the beauty of the view, I might want to first try another resort or two, before deciding if I want to return to Casitas and Conquistador, if booking a resort in PR.

Room Tip: Virtually any ocean view room at Casitas is great. If you have kids, you want to be close to one of...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Finnish first
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was the third and final hotel of our honeymoon experience, and normally we avoid the mega-hotel/conference center type place, but it WAS our honeymoon and we felt like spoiling ourselves. After reading nothing but amazing reviews we selected a casita in the "shwanky" part of the hotel with exclusive access to only the residents. It sounded romantic and indulgent so we looked forward to capping off our honeymoon. Heck, it's a Waldorf Astoria resort with a four diamond rating... how bad could it be?

The check-in process was rapid and helpful, the staff was lovely and warm. We were escorted to our casita by our butler Casey Jones (to any hardcore punk fan this was highly amusing to us.) He gave us a break-down the HUGE grounds and how to book various activities. The suite was beautiful and clean with an amazing view from the cliff side, about 250-300 feet above the ocean. You have a bird's-eye view of the water park and other parts of the resort. My husband took a walk to explore the grounds so we wouldn't be lost on our way to dinner at La Piccola Fontana. Security approached him and yelled "Hey, show me your room key!" Now as a premise, he has a full sleeve of tattoos and looks ethnic, so this is fairly common. But, we were paying guests at a high-end resort, a proper interaction should have been "Excuse me Sir, may I see your room key?" The rooms are quiet but if you stay at casitas try to get a top floor unit, people traveling up and down the stairs is very loud at times.

Now our reservations at Piccola, the "best" restaurant on the grounds. The resort feels the need to run the air conditioning at 60 degrees on full-blast all day so bring a wrap. Seating was immediate but in the corner near a table of very loud Southern Californians who felt the need to speak at large volumes. This is of course not the restaurant's fault, but added to the overall experience of the resort... which we encountered more and more as the 4 days wore on. We ordered two glasses of rose champagne, appetizers, and entrees. The service initially was great with quick arrivals of the champagne and bread with three house made butters. The waiter touched the plate three times as he talked about the butter and placed it in front of us. I am not that picky but noticed this odd behavior and ate the delicious butter. My capresi salad came quickly and wasn't very good, which is hard to do with such a simple salad. The quality of the tomatoes was sub-par. The food was flavorless and soul-less, which is counter to the Italian cooking traditions. Anth's mushroom soup was good but extremely salty. By then we had consumed all out water and had to rely on sweet champagne to quench our thirst which failed to do so. The entree quickly followed and I had the lobster risotto with highly overcooked lobster which was chewy and ...

...quick note, reading this I sound all snobby and such which if you knew me would be a laugh, but this is honesty. We are normally content in our little dive bar with pub food or home-cooked meals. For the amount of money they ring out of you, better quality food and service was expected.

Needless to say, the entire meal progressed and after relenting to using the champagne and a liquid source for dinner, never had a server inquire about how the food tasted or refilled either the water or the champagne. We signed the check and got the heck out of there, the bill was $160 and that is a lot of money to us... so we were displeased.

Now to the diving operation, which is something we take very seriously. Proper scuba safety and procedures, along with education on conservation is something every quality diving operation has. This show, which somehow has a 5-Star PADI rating , was the exact opposite. I feel bad writing this review because everyone working at the dive shop were exceedingly nice and helpful, this is not a personal attack on them as people. But, their lack of briefing people thoroughly about conservation, and the amount of tourists' who were convinced they would be taught to scuba dive in an hour, was very disconcerting. I saw people removing their reg's and holding their breathe for pictures, I saw people standing on the reef, I saw people remove objects from a Marine Reserve, and we saw a girl run out of air half-way through her dive and had to Buddy Breathe with the Dive Master. It took the relaxation out of the dive and we were very troubled by the end of it. The reefs were in terrible condition because of ignorant non-diving tourists. The frustration and depression of diving through Casa del Mar was too much, and we didn't bother doing out last dives as planned.

The resort is huge and books giant conventions with 1800 people checking in at once. A once peaceful resort turned into party central with loud pool parties and drunk Yamaha conventioneers everywhere. It was exceedingly difficult to get bar service after they arrived and would have to open a tab at a far away bar while using the pool with a swim-up bar. All of the restaurants we tried were awful except for Stingray Cafe which we dinned at twice and had excellent food and service.

The "fabulous" casino featured in a 1960s James Bond movie was tiny and offered four different types of gambling. Poker, roulette, slot machines and video poker, and I did not see anyone walk away a winner. Drinks are not free while you gamble, I say this because there is one cocktail server, but while we were there for over 2 hours did not see her or was approached by her.

Everything at this resort is over-priced, we walked into town to get away from the food and pricing for one night and had a very pleasant evening. We felt thoroughly unimpressed with the experience and would never go back or recommend it to people.

Room Tip: top floor unit
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mccallud
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Mrs Mccallum:

First of all, congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for selecting our resort for your honeymoon.

We pride ourselves in delivering attentive service personalized to the occasion and it pains us very much that this special time was not the privileged experience you expected and deserved. As of this time, we have designed a new package called “Celebrate Romance” which is tailored to honeymooners and features a direct line to our Romance experts. At the same time we will be launching a honeymoon gift registry as further showing of our commitment. These initiatives should be available in early September.
Please believe that we take very seriously your observations regarding the scuba diving available at the Resort. Our guests’ safety and the preservation of the natural habitat is of the highest concern to us.

We do hope you will reconsider and give us an opportunity to reverse your initial impression. We genuinely wish to demonstrate this was an isolated experience and not representative of our usual excellent service.

Countless happiness for years to come…

boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We only spent one night at Las Casitas afer fleeing a terrible place not so far away. We booked a guest room only the night before we arrived and were provided a beautiful spacious room with an unbelievable view. It was gorgeous with the only negative that the beds were doubles (there were four of us with two children) though we knew that going in. The infinity pool was incredible and in August, totally uncrowded, with probably the best hot tub (infinity also) I have ever seen. I would say the only negative is that you have to go to the Conquistador for dinner and we felt the wrath of that property in our one evening meal, totally bland and expensive food in one of the casual restaurants with a nasty manager to boot (overcharged for one of our kids' plates). There is lunch and breakfast at the Casitas but not dinner, and there are also lots of choices at Conquistador but the expensive restaurants don't seem suitable for kids. There is room service and that might be the best option, we did it for late night pizza after our biobay tour and the pizza was surprisingly good. The walk to the Conquistador is short and that property has many other pools, a small water park, casino (but limited hours) and other amenities all available to Casitas guests. They will also drive you over to the Conquistador upon request, and our kids loved the golf cart ride. If you have a car, there are also local restaurants nearby, and you can park right near your Villa. All in all, this was a wonderful end to our vacation, and only wish we had thought to stay here for more than a day.

Room Tip: It seemed that all of the Villas had rooms but worth making sure yours does as the views are amazing...
Shenandoah, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I and our two grown children (age 20 and 23) used a local travel agent (Travel Concepts) to set up a Puerto Rican trip. One of Denise's recommendations was Las Casitas. We had a three bedroom villa in the South Village overlooking the ocean. The Village sets up on a cliff. The villa itself was well appointed, clean, comfortable with a wonderful outdoor patio and view. We had completed a pre checkin form where we ordered food in and the refrigerator was stocked when we arrived. We had access to butler services but we didn't chose to utilize his services. The Village itself has multiple pools, an infinite pool, access to multiple restaurants on the property and in the El Conquistador Hotel. A private beach is available, but you must be prepared to walk or call for a shuttle to take you to the El Conquistador Hotel. You then take a tram to catch a boat shuttle to reach Palomino Island. We loved the walks through the beautiful grounds and past the pools. The tram ride down to Marina village is maybe two minutes. The boat shuttle to the island takes about 15 minutes. It is well worth the trip. Two days we spent the morning and into the afternoon playing on the beach, renting a jet ski, touring on a hobie cat, walking trails, and enjoying the outdoor restaurants and beach shops.

Room Tip: The North Village will be the closest to the hotel, restaurants, and the tram to the Marina. If pla...
2 Thank SLRC
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I and our 2 girls(15 & 10) stayed at Las Casitas for a 3 day. When we arrived we were received by a wonderful staff. As we arrived at our Casita a bottle of wine and two wine glasses awaited for my husband and me and for our two girls they had 2 glasses of milk and chocolate chip cookies, and lets not forget the strawberries covered with chocolate...yummm. From that point on all was a fabulous experience: the service, the food, the location, the room, the staff, even a full moon awaited for us. Thank you thank you for such an awesome experience.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Glorimar68,

It was lovely having your family as our guests. We pride ourselves on being able to give authentic, from the heart service and I am delighted you were able to enjoy that atmosphere. I am also appreciative for the additional feedback you provided me regarding your pool experience and the team is already at work to enhance the exclusivity of the Infiniti Pool.

Come back and visit soon.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I and our 3 children(12,11 & 10) vacationed for the first time in Puerto Rico from July through August. Las Casitas accommodation far exceeded our expectations. Firstly, Carmen was incredible from the starting gate in reserving one of the best casitas in the resort. Our suite was a dream and nothing less. Our Casita was continuously supplied with all amenities, including drinking water and fresh towels. The ocean view was one for the story books, to say the least. Ana, our vacation planner, did everything to assure that our vacation was tailored to our needs. She was in periodic communication with us and most significantly, after she learned that my husband broke his elbow 2 days before our trip. She went immediately to work and revised our tours to accommodate him, including alternating the bio bay kayaking to an electric boat. Milly at the tour desk worked hand in hand with Ana to make sure that our itinerary was safe for my husband. Our butler, Steve was helpful, compassionate and available at all times. We were particularly touched when he accompanied us every step of the way during a photo shoot we had scheduled for our family photos. Our kids simply loved him, particularly after he had them ride in his gulf cart! The food at Strip house was our absolute favorite. The Chateaubriand and the Sword Fish were out of this world. Our second best was String Ray and third, Fontana. Blossom, although kid friendly, was our least favorite. The last but not the least was Lilliana. Her professionalism was unbeatable. She always greeted us with a smile and was an absolute gem in dealing with every aspect of our lodging. Thank you Ana, Lilliana, Steve, Milly and Danielle for contributing so incredibly to our dream vacation.

Dear luxtravelers5,

Thank you for speaking so highly of your experience at Las Casitas Village, and especially for your comments about our service professionals, they are the true backbone of everything we do and are. We are also very grateful to you for highlighting our complimentary vacation planning service for the benefit of other Trip Advisor viewers. It sets Las Casitas Village apart and along with our Butler service, is our best tool to meet and exceed your expectations.

All of us here are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Regards,

Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed on this property May 26 - 29 after booking a great last minute deal on hotels.com. Sadly, when we arrived at the property after driving from San Juan we found out that there had been a mixup between hotels.com and our reservation had never been booked with Las Casitas. The woman who helped us was unbelievably patient as she talked with them as did we on the phone. In the end, she graciously gave us an even lower price per night for the three nights and showed us to our little casita, which was upgraded to an ocean view. It was heaven!

The views from the casitas are beautiful and staying there is so much better than staying in a typical resort hotel. You should splurge for an ocean view as you get a large balcony facing unbelievably blue water off the cliff. The room is spacious and the bathroom is clean. We also had another back patio that we didn't even use! Another pro is that you get full use of the Conquistador resort facilities, including Palomino island (honestly we spent only half a day here, but that's because we're not big beach bums).

I would say the only con is that there is no direct access to the hotel beach in the evening. However, you can drive quickly to a public beach nearby, which is fine - just beware of the ants and bugs! All in all an AMAZING stay and highly recommended for anyone wanting to get away, especially couples!

Room Tip: Splurge for an ocean view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mondo600
LasCasitasVillage, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Mondo600,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us. We do try and pride ourselves on pro-active and caring service. Family is the core of the Puerto Rican culture as it also is at the Resort our hospitality mantra. Thank you for recommending us to so many people, we appreciate your loyalty.

Come back and visit us again soon.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,658 reviews
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!