“Amazing Views and Stay!”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed on this property May 26 - 29 after booking a great last minute deal on hotels.com. Sadly, when we arrived at the property after driving from San Juan we found out that there had been a mixup between hotels.com and our reservation had never been booked with Las Casitas. The woman who helped us was unbelievably patient as she talked with them as did we on the phone. In the end, she graciously gave us an even lower price per night for the three nights and showed us to our little casita, which was upgraded to an ocean view. It was heaven!

The views from the casitas are beautiful and staying there is so much better than staying in a typical resort hotel. You should splurge for an ocean view as you get a large balcony facing unbelievably blue water off the cliff. The room is spacious and the bathroom is clean. We also had another back patio that we didn't even use! Another pro is that you get full use of the Conquistador resort facilities, including Palomino island (honestly we spent only half a day here, but that's because we're not big beach bums).

I would say the only con is that there is no direct access to the hotel beach in the evening. However, you can drive quickly to a public beach nearby, which is fine - just beware of the ants and bugs! All in all an AMAZING stay and highly recommended for anyone wanting to get away, especially couples!

Room Tip: Splurge for an ocean view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mondo600
LasCasitasVillage, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Mondo600,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us. We do try and pride ourselves on pro-active and caring service. Family is the core of the Puerto Rican culture as it also is at the Resort our hospitality mantra. Thank you for recommending us to so many people, we appreciate your loyalty.

Come back and visit us again soon.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,683)

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We got a one bedroom villa with water view. Did our booking through the credit card company. We checked in on a Sat and the hotel looked full from the cars in the parking lot. They gave us a water view room except that we had a large palm tree growing off the side and it blocked part of the view. I asked if they could swap the room and they said because they were full they could not. I asked if they could swap it on Sun since I felt quite a few would check out by then. The receptionist ladies said they were booked all week and every room was spoken for. I was surprised late Sun when the parking lot was empty. We were busy Mon so I did not get a chance to go back to the reception area. On Tue I was speaking with the concierge and mentioned about the view and how come the hotel was still full despite fewer cars parked. She said they had plenty rooms and was surprised I was told otherwise. She offered to move us but we had 2 more nights left and my family did not want the hassle of moving everything. I am not sure what motivated that receptionist to mislead me.

Also the villas are very different inside. For eg ours came with old tube TVs and others had newer LCD ones. We had only 14 channels to choose from, only 4 were English. Wifi worked great but only in our living room. We had no connection in the bedroom. I complained and they patched me to their internet provider who claimed they could fix it. It was never fixed.

Another problem is the beach is not on the hotel property. It is on a private island which is actually very nice except that you need to take a ferry to get there. The ferry leaves from the marina which is not at Las Casitas but at the El Conqui. So you need to hitch a ride to the El Conqui (hotel has transportation but you could sometimes wait 15 minutes for it to arrive). And the ride takes 5-10 minutes. Then you have to walk through the El Conqui (bit of a hike), down a set of elevators and then take the funicular down to the marina. So it ends up taking 20-30 minutes to get to the marina. Then you need to wait for the ferry and the ferry ride is ~ 30 minutes. So plan a good hour to get to the beach. We got to the beach at 10 am for a relaxing day. Had a major storm show up at 2 pm and everyone scrambled for the ferry which obviously got full quickly. My wife and kids managed to get on but they would not let me on. They did the same to 2 other families. Claimed there is some federal regulation that they cannot have more than 150 passengers. Found out later that occasionally they carry upto 200! So I ended up spending an hour on the beach under some thatch in the storm with a bunch of others. It was miserable! Also, don't plan any evenings on the beach. It's not happening since they evacuate the island at 530 pm.

I must say the golf course was excellent. It's a bit pricey but it has awesome views and is very challenging given the elevations. I would love tonplay that course again. Skip the restaurants on the property. Food there is mediocre and very pricey. You can find much better stuff close by off site. The water park is decent but very crowded and somewhat small. We did the half day pass and I'm glad I did not waste my money on a full day pass. They have many pools but they can get really crowded and loud. We used the pools mostly after 8 pm when there were fewer people around.

The only reason I'd return there is for the golf and the view and just to relax. If for beach or family vacation I'd go elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bucfan66

Dear bucfan66,

I am very pleased to hear that you have had an excellent experience at the Resort. We are always seeking new ways to improve our guest experience and at this time we are upgrading our villas with 47" and/or 42" flat screen televisions. Once that is done we will be moving on to a high definition channel lineup.
Palomino Island is a fascinating venue, its natural beauty and amenities usually prevail over the ride to get there. What a pity the rough patch of weather we had did not let you enjoy it a complete day, fortunately we are back to our usual sunny days. Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced with our ferries as we must abide coast guard regulations for maximum occupancy.
We take a lot of pride in our Arthur Hills championship golf and in it and there are many more reasons to come back and enjoy the resort such as the bio-luminescent bay and the rain forest just to name a few.

Come back and visit us again.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My Wife, my son and I stayed at Las Casitas from July 26th through the 30th. Las Casitas is absolutely gorgeous and we had the time of our lives. One of the main reasons is their staff is amazing. Everyone was looking to make sure our every need was taken care of and we truly appreciate everything that was done.

We have to mention Lillian specifically. She was wonderful and Las Casitas is blessed to have her at Las Casitas. She not only was concerned about being available whenever we needed something or had questions, but she helped us with golf reservations, dinner suggestions and was an all around pleasure to deal with.

We are looking forward to returning as soon as possible. Thank you to you and the people of Las Casitas for a memorable and unforgettable vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael E
LasCasitasVillage, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear Michael,

Thank you for this wonderful review and for your email! We are very happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay in our Puerto Rican Paradise. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our service professionals, particularly from Lillian.

All of us here at Las Casitas Village are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at the casitas for 3 nights and it was one of the best 3 days I had in a long time . The hotel is amazing, and the service was superb. We loved everything about it. The infinity pool was a hit with my kids and the view of the ocean and Palominos island is breathtaking. There is so much to do in the hotel that there is no need to leave the premises. The area is great for snorkeling as well as sailing and scuba diving. Its a water lovers paradise. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank travel-manic215

Dear travel-manic215,

It was very kind of you to take the time to write such a lovely review. All of us here at Las Casitas Village look forward to pampering you again soon on the warm and sunny shores of the Caribbean sea!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We just got back from a weeklong vacation (my husband, teenage son & myself).
There were plenty of good things about Las Casitas- which many others have posted on TA.
The few disappointing aspects were-
We arrived at 1 PM, and we're hoping our room would be ready early, but it wasn't ready until 4:15 PM. We weren't given any info as to when we could expect it to be ready so went to get lunch at one of their restaurants & thought by the time we got back to the office it would be ready, but it still wasn't. We walked around hoping we would get called at any minute but when 4:00 came- I stood in the office while 2 other families checked in& got their rooms. I asked if she could give us another room & she said "not at your room level". So I guess if you book a garden view & it's not ready- don't expect a pool view, just expect to wait...

Our room was freezing which was great but we did need another blanket for our son, we called housekeeping early one evening & waited & waited.... 3 phone calls & we finally got one a few hours later.

Be aware - It takes forever to walk across the hotel grounds (& 2 elevators) to get to the ferry, which you may wait a half hour for if your timing isn't right.

Make sure to bring or buy some kind of water shoe for the beach because it has lots of coral on the bottom. Also you can't bring any drinks with you to Palomino Island so the cup of coke for my son was around $5.

All in all it is beautiful, the people friendly & hard working but probably won't go back to Las Casitas.

Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank jeez

Dear jeez,

Thank you so much for your visit and delighted that you had a great stay. We appreciate your constructive criticism which helps us to improve our short comings.
We have recently changed our check-out time from 11am to noon in order to provide our guests with an extra hour of paradise. It is our goal to move up check-in time to 3pm from the current 4pm. This remains a work in prorgess for your future enjoyment.
I sincerely hope we can change your mind and I would be honored to upgrade you to the ocean view you deserve.

Regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Loves las casitas and the grounds top notch with many pools and access to the private island beach it was nice change of pace. El conquistador was a little rundown and getting old but still nice to have access to all grounds. I would definely recommend staing in phase 2 we stayed in room 5562 and it was great, quiet, beautiful oceanfront view with kitchen balcony overlooking water. We went to Econ to get breakfast cereal and Starbucks at main hotel for coffer so we could not been more at home. We ate at strip house twice live the atmosphere and felt pampered and food was good. Rent a car because so many things to see el yunque, old San Juan and dinner at passion del fogpn, breakfast at golden sweet bakery and 2 great lunches at cafe mailing in old San juan

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Ricky666

Dear Ricky666,

Thank you for being an ambassador of Las Casitas Village and explaining how to take advantage of the villas fully equipped kitchens. Let me point out that groceries may be ordered ahead of arrival through our Personal Concierges which are always happy to source a favorite treat or that special wine bottle.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in paradise.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The beautiful views, the relaxed setting the friendly staff. These, are just a few, of the many reasons why we will go back to Las Casitas village in Fajardo, Puero Rico!
When you throw in the lovely accomodations, the private beach and water park. Not to mention the gorgeous golf course. All these things put together made for a most relaxing and enjoyable vacation for my husband and I. And our fourteen year old daughter and niece!!
Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Norma T

Dear Norma,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our accommodations, golf course, private beach and other amenities. I am very excited to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

All of us at Las Casitas Village truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, as the locals say "hasta luego"!

Diretcor of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
#2 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!