“Best Hotel in Puerto Rico and the funest to”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I live in Puerto Rico and I have been to most of the hotels in Puerto Rico and the conquistador is the best. this grand resort has the best spa in Puerto Rico and the rooms are in the best condition and is beautiful to with their private island of Palominos and it's awesome beaches and mountains. The hotel is really fun with it's private waterpark( El coqui ) that has three awesome slides, a lazy river, and the infinity pool, and in the island is fun because you take a ferry to it an it has a mini golf, beach voleyball, hiking trails, fun areas, and great beaches. Waldof Astoria you have done it again, the best hotel in Puerto Rico is El Conquistador and the funest to.

Room Tip: Choose a rom on any area except the bay area
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Gabriel R
Maria V, Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Just flew back today from a spectacular vacation. First of all, yes, there are a lot of steps and, yes, the place is sprawling. However, if you have no problems walking instead of waiting for a shuttle bus, this place absolutely rocks. Went there with my husband and my 6 1/2 year old (ok, took her out of school, but, what the heck, she is only in kindergarten and she spend the entire week doing her homework assignments!) and can I tell you, if you can swing the off season...this is THE PLACE. Okay, so things may not have worked well...clogged tub, blah, blah, blah, but this place was NOT on island time...they were right on it. And they even noticed that our AC unit wasn't working and upgraded us for free. As we did not stay in El Conquistador but in Las Casitas, I can only talk about that. BUT, it was quiet and beautiful. Pools galore! My daughter loves the pools. We went to the water park for several days and we happily taking advantage of the discounted afternoon prices. She met some friends with whom she played with during the week and life was wonderful. Speaking of the Water Park. I have to absolutely commend the staff (or at least one woman who unfortunately I do not know her name). My daughter and her two new friends were playing in the pool at the Water Park. Suddenly, a woman ran/flew past me and jumped into the pool--the youngest child (within seconds) had lost her bearing and began to struggle in the water. Her father was even in the pool with them but didn't even have the chance to see it happen, but this wonderful woman came to her rescue. We could not believe how responsive and diligent she was...she was not even a lifeguard at the Water Park. She is truly a hero and the resort is blessed to have her!

Just as another example of service...even when we couldn't get FOX on Wednesday night so we could watch American Idol, the staff was right on it..had the engineer check it out and found out the entire hotel did not have it (I guess we were the only dedicated AI fans) They called the cable company and then received a call in our room informing us that FOX was working again. Our Butler, Eric, was fantastic. Had the fridge filled with bottled water (free by the way) and made sure that my husband had his supply of coffee creamers as he is a coffee junkie.

As far as the restaurants, I can say that The Stingray restaurant was simply delicious and worth going to. I personally will never return to Blossoms. Only one waiter was working the first night we were there and had fried dumplings brought to the table. Meat was raw. Sent it back. A new batch came out. Raw, again. Yuck! Food led something to be desired as well. Cannot say anything about the hibachi (didn't have it). Had the sushi rolls -- tuna was fine. But, I guess being Chinese myself, the Chinese side of the menu was not up to par. On the brighter side, my daughter lived for Las Brisas Restaurant for their buffet breakfast and the staff was superb.

I will definitely return here. The facilities were terrific, the staff at Las Casitas were outstanding. However, I will say, the off season time is the place to come. I have always snubbed my nose to going to Puerto Rico and opted for other Caribbean islands, but never again. They run on Waldorf Astoria time, not even Hilton time and definitely not on island time. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Cons: my husband can't walk much so he complained about the steps and the distances. He did not like the bed, but I had no complaints. We took the ferry to Palomino Island. It was fine, but I wouldn't have a desire to go back. And don't let the partly cloudy days fool you...the sun is strong. My daughter definitely got a sunburn on her face (nose and chin) due to the reflection of the water from the pool. Keep applying sunscreen.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank jo_from_nj

Reviewed May 2, 2012

As past reviewers have rightly noted, Las Casitas Village(LCV) gives you the best of both worlds: easy access to all the great amenities/facilities of El Conq, along with the quiet feel of a small Caribbean luxury resort. Anyone who complains about being too far away from the El Conq facilities, well, they're just lazy. (Trust me reader, you don't want to identify with them.) What I'll emphasize here is the GREAT service at Las Casitas, and let me start with Gilberto Perez, who truly "saved the day" for us on our last day. Because we loved the place so much, we were leaving in the evening after spending most of the day on the incredible Palomino Island. But as we pulled up to the front desk to check out, Gilbert, who was stationed at the front of the "Manor House"(front desk area), pointed out that our front tire was flat. As it was now getting dark, and my tire-changing abilities are, best case, unproven, I began to get nervous, and asked if he could help me change the tire. After making a brief reference to Nascar pit crews, Gilbert assured me, "Don't worry. I'll take care of this." And by the time, I got back from the front desk, Gilbert had changed the tire and had us on our way. He provided some additional directions, and reminded me not to drive over 40mph on a spare tire. To some, this might not seem like much. But to a guy like me, he was a lifesaver! Aside from Gilbert, I'd just add that people seemed helpful at every turn--from providing directions to giving great advice on all kinds of day trips that we could take. And I haven't even mentioned the quiet, beautiful villas and small restaurants where you can get a quite breakfast or lunch at LCV, overlooking the ocean down below and the small islands off in the distance. We just felt like we were in Paradise, and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rick K

Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I decided to celebrate her birthday at Las Casitas Villages. April 26 to 29,2012. It was the worst experience we have had and we have traveled all over the world. They claim is a 5 star property which we certainly believe is a 2 star. Its dirty, the service its even worst and there is nothing to do at the hotel. Its very boring, and you have to take a long walk to the hotel as in Las Casitas they dont serve even breakfast. We requested to speak to the manager and he was never available. It also have security issues.There are many great hotels in Puerto Rico but not this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Reviewer0071959

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The two kids (11 and 17) and I stayed in a single room at Las Casitas in April 2012 and had a wonderful vacation. The landscaping is beautiful, the room and bathroom spacious and up-to-date, and resort staff are all gracious. The facilities (pools, Golden Door spa, water slides, beach at Palomino Island) of El Conquistador resort adjoining really made it work. Visits to the El Yunque rainforest and kayaking the bioluminescent bay nearby (really, really special) added just enough non-beach activity to keep us happy. I would recommend getting a rental car to enable getting off-resort to get to off-site restaurants and elsewhere. The only major drawback is that the food at on-site restaurants is very pricey ($16 hamburgers with soggy french fries) and barely mediocre (think Denny's quality and inexplicable substitution of romaine and tomatoes for "fresh baby greens and avocado"). I'm comfortable with the price but fail to understand why a Waldorf Astoria resort would tolerate such lousy food. Off-site restaurants (most notably El Estacion - less than 1/2 mile from resort entrance) are much higher quality and offer a lot of charm.

Room Tip: we were on the north side -- closest to El Conquistador -- which reduced the amount of walking neces...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RedHobo

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Today We arrived, definitely is a lovely hotel
And has its private beach. Great hotel

Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed April 19, 2012

What a beautiful hotel. I spent 4 days in a 2br casita with my girlfriend in march '11. We also had a couple friends fly down for 2 nights and we had an amazing time. The casita was great, very new kitchen and breathtaking view from the front porch. Bathrooms slightly dated but otherwise perfect.

There's a great Infiniti pool by the casitas or jump on the golf cart shuttles and head over to conquistadors big pool or down to the boat that delivers you to their beautiful private island. If you want to save a FEW bucks take advantage of the kitchen. We (I) did breakfast there every morning and also did most of our own store bought beverages.

The golf course was extremely nice as well and the butler service at the casitas is excellent, especially if your looking for that local spirit you can't find in the stores or just want some recommendations on what to do or how to get there. Free bottled water and free parking was definitely a nice bonus. I can't wait to get back again someday.

Room Tip: Just ensure you have an ocean view and/or deck.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Maria Vega

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
#3 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!