“Avoid”

Casa del Mar Scuba Diving
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The dive was OK. But the office staff was terrible. On our first day they had us booked for the afternoon when we were supposed to be diving on the morning. Lucky there were still slots. On the second day they forgot to tell us that we had been moved to the following day due to a charter that booked the boat all day. We had a flight that made it impossible for us to change and the counte staff did not care at all. Ruined trip.

1 Thank Crj2111

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Excellent staff - nice small dive shop!!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Excellent - small dive shop. 4 dive masters and the captain for 11 divers on our first trip. Some of the divers were going through their open water certification dives. Staff did everything for us with respect to our equipment. Nice to be taken care of that way on a dive even though I still go through all my routine safety checks. Dive sites are typical PR. We did a sandy bottom wall dive known as Big Rock Little Rock and El Diablo on the second dive. Not a lot of schooling activity or vibrant colors on the wall dive. If you slow it down and pay attention to the little things, plenty of different things will still appear. El Diablo had schooling activity, turtles, and rays.
We returned two days later and booked a snorkeling excursion off Lobos island. We saw rays, schooling activity, and what I believe is some type of sea centipede. Coolest discovery I have made snorkeling or diving. Urchins, rainbow fish, parrot fish, rock fish. Reef does have some damage. Not sure if it's storm related but still well worth the trip. I will be returning and using this shop in a few weeks that should speak for itself!!!!

1 Thank Rubemeyer
Fort Walton beach, FL
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great dive center in Puerto Rico, 1 hr east of San Juan”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at the Fajardo Inn, just 15 minutes away. We had 2 great dives and saw sea horses and sea turtles, plus lots of coral. The second dive was off Diablo Kay and was some of the BEST diving I've ever done. Huge amounts of pristene coral reefs and amazing marine life. Just about a 1 hour drive east of San Juan. Great experience. After the dives they gave us clean towels to dry off, and they had a fresh water shower on the dive boat to rinse off after each dive. They were very professional and I Highly recomend this dive center in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.

Visited June 2012
Calgary
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Don't go with Casa Del Mar out of Fajardo”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We went on their all day excursion to Culebrita expecting to visit 2 or more snorkel sites. That didn't happen. Instead, they took us to Turtle Bay in Culebrita, and anchored near the beach. They told us to snorkel off the beach. The snorleling sucked because the reef is burned out (all grey and lifeless). At noon I counted 28 large boats of sun worshipers in this little cove.

There is good snorkeling and diviing near Culebrita, but that is not Where they took us. The so-called captain all of 20-25 years old was not interested in us, or our concerns, and his first mate drank along with the guests.

I complained when I got back to shore at their El Conquistador marina office, but they were indifferent and just shrugged it off. Apparently, this "outing" is preferred by local "rich" young Puerto Ricans who only want to get drunk and not for snorkellers. I wish they had told me that, I would have booked with another outfit. There are many others to choose from in Fajardo and Ceiba areas.

As for the lunch they provided it, sucked. There is no other way to put it. If you want to spend your time with over-privileged young Puerto Ricans who only want to get drunk and lie on the beach in Culebrita this is for you. On the other hand, if you want a true adventure and remarkable snorkelling in Culebra or Culebrita this isn't the way to go. I wish I had booked with AquafaryiAdventures for less money. This so-called outing with Casa del Mar cost us $203 USD for 2 peoaple and it wasted about 6 hours of my life I will never get back.

Please don't make the mistake I made.

Visited March 2012
5 Thank hockeymate
tulsa, ok
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Good Crew”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

As all the other comments have suggested Casa Del Mar folks are good folks to dive with if you want to dive in PR. Offer fresh fruit, chips salsa, drinks in between dives. Handle all your gear, so nice in that aspect.

They took us out by Polomina island and it was kind of stormy that day and some big swells. As someone who dives around the Caribbean I would say that diving quality in PR is poor. Fish life was almost non-existent and hard coral was suffering, vis was only 25-30 feet. But nice big sea fans and few other things like that.

However, if you JUST have to dive in PR. This is a good operation to use.

Visited March 2012