“Don't go with Casa Del Mar out of Fajardo”

Casa del Mar Scuba Diving
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We went on their all day excursion to Culebrita expecting to visit 2 or more snorkel sites. That didn't happen. Instead, they took us to Turtle Bay in Culebrita, and anchored near the beach. They told us to snorkel off the beach. The snorleling sucked because the reef is burned out (all grey and lifeless). At noon I counted 28 large boats of sun worshipers in this little cove.

There is good snorkeling and diviing near Culebrita, but that is not Where they took us. The so-called captain all of 20-25 years old was not interested in us, or our concerns, and his first mate drank along with the guests.

I complained when I got back to shore at their El Conquistador marina office, but they were indifferent and just shrugged it off. Apparently, this "outing" is preferred by local "rich" young Puerto Ricans who only want to get drunk and not for snorkellers. I wish they had told me that, I would have booked with another outfit. There are many others to choose from in Fajardo and Ceiba areas.

As for the lunch they provided it, sucked. There is no other way to put it. If you want to spend your time with over-privileged young Puerto Ricans who only want to get drunk and lie on the beach in Culebrita this is for you. On the other hand, if you want a true adventure and remarkable snorkelling in Culebra or Culebrita this isn't the way to go. I wish I had booked with AquafaryiAdventures for less money. This so-called outing with Casa del Mar cost us $203 USD for 2 peoaple and it wasted about 6 hours of my life I will never get back.

Please don't make the mistake I made.

5  Thank hockeymate
in 45 reviews
in 34 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 26, 2012

As all the other comments have suggested Casa Del Mar folks are good folks to dive with if you want to dive in PR. Offer fresh fruit, chips salsa, drinks in between dives. Handle all your gear, so nice in that aspect.

They took us out by Polomina island and it was kind of stormy that day and some big swells. As someone who dives around the Caribbean I would say that diving quality in PR is poor. Fish life was almost non-existent and hard coral was suffering, vis was only 25-30 feet. But nice big sea fans and few other things like that.

However, if you JUST have to dive in PR. This is a good operation to use.

2  Thank teninepit
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My family and I had never been scuba diving before. We decided to give it a try with "discover scuba" at casa del mar. We were very impressed with our instructor, Jackie. She was very informative and to the point. She let myself, my husband, and my 2 children (10,13 yo) on our first dive. It was amazing. I would highly recommend them.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

I visited Casa del Mar just before Christmas for a two-tank trip to the local area. i made reservations on the shop's website only three days before and received a call the next day. Maria was very helpful with placing the reservations and e-mailed me directions from San Juan. The shop called me the day before to reconfirm the reservation - a nice touch.

The shop is at the El Conquistador Resort Marina. The marina can be accessed without going through the resort but get the directions beforehand because it's a little tough to find it. The shop is really well organized and very clean.

We boarded their 46' boat (I believe it was called "Day Off") and received a thorough coast guard and dive procedure briefing. We then traveled to the site. After the dive briefing, I entered the water and had trouble with my BCD. The staff helped me but I decided to sit out the first dive. After a few minutes, everyone came back to the boat. The dive leader had "called" the dive because of poor visibility due to previous wind storms. We went to another location but the visibility was bad as well. So, that dive was called.

So what did the shop do? They gave everyone the option of a complete refund or to go to a longer two tank trip to Vieques Island the next day. I had to take the refund because I had other plans. I have only rarely seen such a commitment to customer service at a dive shop like this. To give a complete refund even though the shop spent money on fuel is almost unheard of. Because of this, I will definitely go back to Casa del Mar if I choose to dive in Fajardo again.

I wish I could say something about the diving itself, but I can't since we didn't dive. I can say, however, that this shop demonstrated outstanding customer service.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at El Con in Oct. 2011, so Casa del Mar was very convenient for us, since it's at the resort. We both do not know how to swim, but even so, we wanted to try scuba diving. So glad we did-- this was one of the best experiences we have ever had! So awesome! Christine, who was our scuba instructor, was very friendly and wonderful. She met us at the main pool at El Con and taught us all we needed to know for our first dive, she addressed all of our concerns and questions and really put us at ease for our dive, which was the following day. Our lesson was supposed to be 1 hr, but she happily spent 2 hrs with us, and we had a blast. The next morning, we met our fellow divers and scuba guide at the main marina at the resort. We took a boat ride out to a couple nearby islands, including Palomino, where we did 2 dives. The dives were about 25-35 min each, and we went as deep as 40 feet. We saw very beautiful fish, jelly fish (gorgeous!) and coral. The guide and boat crew provided fresh fruit, drinks, and chips and dip for us to enjoy in between our 2 dives. We had a great time. We met around 9am and returned to El Con around 12:45pm. It cost us around $350 for both of us for the lesson & dive. Our fellow divers and boat crew were great and we had an excellent experience. Even as poor swimmers, we look forward to the next opportunity to dive! I highly recommend this, and if you are a swimmer, then you're already at an advantage :)