“No problem getting tickets on weekday”
Review of Fajardo Ferry

Fajardo Ferry
Ranked #16 of 30 things to do in Fajardo
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We showed up Fri, 8/23 around 8:00 to get tickets for 9:00 ferry. There were tons of people already there. Needless to say, tickets were sold out.
We went back on Tues, 8/27, around 7:30, no lines! Got our tickets to Culebra right away, then went to the waiting area. Ferry left on time at 9:00, took about 45 min to get to Culebra. Tickets cost like 4 bucks round trip, so what's not to love? I suppose the day of the week you go makes a huge difference. BTW, I suggest once you get there, have one person go immediately to grab a spot on the boarding line if it's spilling out the door.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

went to Viequez island and were advised to arrive early, very early in the morning, glad we did. you do the same!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Be prepared for long waits, or even worse not to be able to get on the ferry at all. Locals are given preference for both buying tickets and getting on the ferry. The office opens an hour before each ferry leaves, and you may or may not get through the line before it departs. There are only a few ferries each day so come early and take the earliest possible ferry you can make.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

It's a little less than an hour, and the seas are a bit rough--it was rolling the day I went -- and even on the top deck we were sprayed a bit, but it was fun!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was fully aware of the horrible stories and one star reviews of the fajardo-culebra ferry on tripadvisor. One thing I can say is tripadvisor's review is so accurate and fully reflect the real situation.

I actually played a trick and came to the ticket booth one day ahead and there is a separate trailer not far away which sell advanced ferry ticket. I thought that I hit the jackpot because six persons in front of me all got their tickets to culebra! However, when it was my turn, the ticket man told me that he won't sell any tickets to me!

I asked him why he sold tickets to other passengers. I even had the passenger in front of me asked him in spanish. They had some heated exchange of words and the passgenger in front of me told me the ticket man was biased.

What can I say. My advise is you have to speak fluent spanish (do not speak english even if english is also official language) and look like local, and come to the booth one day ahead to make advanced purchase. And if possible, ask the passeger in front of you to buy ticket for you and you pay him/her in cash after she/he get ticket for you. that is probably the ONLY way.

This is discrimination in the worst way.

4  Thank Geli2460