“Cheap, and you get what you pay for”
Review of Fajardo Ferry

Fajardo Ferry
Ranked #14 of 31 things to do in Fajardo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This seemed to be a convenient way to get to Vieques, but it isn't so easy. It would make a world of difference if you could book tickets in advance, rather than stand in line and have it open late, cutting it close to departure time. It all worked out, but was frustrating. There are not may options to get to vieques and this seems to be plagued with difficulties. Plan to arrive early and be very relaxed and patient!

1  Thank David A
in 16 reviews
"seasick"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed August 11, 2013

It's who you know to get on this ferry. Three times I tried to get on this ferry to visit Culebra for the day. What a scam. I've logged a complaint in with the Harbormaster. Three times arrived before 5 am. Waited until the window opened at 8 am. There is a wannabe Commando style officer there that runs the whole show. If you see him there observe him closely because people walk up to him throw a name at him and he immediately lets them jump ahead of the line. I was the 24th person on line the first time on June 10th of this year. The line never moved there must have been 200 tourists behind me waiting patiently to visit the Island. Then the ticket window closes for a half hour. When it reopens they announce the Ferry has reached its capaciy. The second time was June 27th of this year. The same thing happened. This time I showed up at 4:30 am. Same cop in charge of the crowd. This time they actually sold some tickets. I counted 37 people in front of me that were allowed to purchase their tickets by the officer. Then, He started the same behavior, waiting for people to walk up to him and throw names and he would immediately usher them to the front and tell the person at the ticket window to sell them tickets. I asked one of the girls and she told me she was on vacation wasn't staying on the Island and was told by a relative what to do to get on the ferry. Everybody on line heard it and went ballistic. They approached the officer he didn't seem to care what they heard or what they had to say. He told us he had to let residents on first. But they weren't residents. That's the scam. I went again this last Thursday same experience all over again. I thought I'd get on the ferry cause the local kids are back at school. Didn't happen. They sold tickets to the first 20 people on line. I found out later on that the first person on line bought 40 tickets. I guess the locals and tour companies get first chance at the tickets. What a shame cause every time like 200 or more tourists get left standing on line with nothing else planned for the day. If this happens to you try visiting Luquillo Beach. It's about ten minutes east on route 3 and there's no scamming going on there. The sign reads Balneario Luquillo. Beautiful calm beach. And you can also see your toes like in Culebra. Good food very inexpensively priced and nobody there during the week. Pina Coladas for four bucks. Umbrella and chair rentals too.

5  Thank Daveyjets
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The ferry cost 4 dollars a round trip, and takes around 1hour 20 minutes each way. Downside if the 5 hour plus line for tickets. Herded around like cattle and the managers are unhelpful to non Spanish speaking tourists. Locals get line priority and you can wait for hours and not get on.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The fares are extremely cheap however you need to get there well in advance to buy tickets. For us it was over 2 hours and we were some of the last to make it on the boat. There are only a few windows open and people line up well in advance to buy the tickets. Holidays are much more difficult to get tickets since many locals go to the islands on a day trip. My sister arrived at 11 AM and could not get on a ferry until 4:30. Please plan accordingly.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Last year we waited in line from 7:15am-9:00am and did not get tickets to Culebra. What a waste of time! This year we decided to fly over to Culebra using Air Flamenco and it was wonderful. We did take the ferry back and did not have a problem getting tickets for the 5:00pm ferry the same day. We took the "Big Cat Express" ferry back and it only took 45 minutes from Culebra. I would recommend flying over and then catching the ferry back. At least you will be able to go to the islands then and save money with a ferry on the way back. I would give it a poor rating for the process of trying to get to Culebra and an average experience for the way back.