“Castillo Tours BioBay Kayaking”
Review of Bio Bay Kayaking

Bio Bay Kayaking
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We recently went for a bachelorette excursion and had a great time. We had a few cocktails before kayaking and were still able to maneuver through the water w/o problems. The crew was very tolerant of our loud group too. We went during the sunset run so it started out light through the mangroves and then was dark by the time we got to the bay. We ran our hands through the water to see the glow and the bay was really beautiful at night. It was great to get outside of the tourist resort areas for a bit.

Tip: Bring a change of shorts because our seats definitely got wet!

All reviews
in 69 reviews
in 36 reviews
in 15 reviews

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We went on the kayak tour with IO Puerto Rico Eco Tours on a Sunday at 8:30pm.
They are the only ones that offer a tour on Sunday.
The guide was very informative and the luminescence was crazy, it was pure awesomeness!
They have water and a few snacks for you after the tour.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This trip was HORRIBLE. I was really looking forward to it. We went in the end of February. Three of us went, one was a first time kayaker, which wasn't their fault, but they should have told us before taking our money that you really have to know how to paddle a kayak before we went in the pitch black water. If you are not experienced, DO NOT take the 7:30 trip. Go when it is still light out, you wont see the bio luminence as well, but at least you won't be taking your life in your hands. So we get in the boats and there are WAY too many people trying to get to the bay. All the boats are jammed together and like someone else said, keep hitting into each other. They take you into this PITCH BLACK lagoon with big trees all around you through a very narrow passageway and expect you to follow eachother. I swear, you could not see two feet in front of you. So my friend who started panicking, yelled for help and one of the workers, who are really very nice and helpful, came and connected to our kayak and took us to where the bio bay is. Its a VERY long ride if you are not with 2 people who know how to paddle. How they can say this appropriate for children, I don't know. I can't believe these people haven't been sued yet. They do make you sign a waiver before you go, so I guess you really are taking your life in their hands. Any way, we finally get to the bay and its very nice, but not worth the fright to took trying to get there. The biggest complaint I have is that the guides wear headlights on their heads and put the lights on for maybe two seconds at a time and then shut them right off again so its very disorientating. So we are on the way back and my friend gets a branch caught in her hair and thinks something is falling on her and rocks the boat and we both wind up in the water which isnt that deep but there are alot of rocks and I wind up cutting open my hand. Thank God I didn't need stiches, but I got REALLY scared. We finally make it back to the dock after one of the guides leads us back, but I can't believe I paid $45.00 for this experience. The guides tried really hard but the trip is WAY overbooked and way too dark for inexperienced kayaking. Just saying, but I know alot of people like it, but it definately wasn't for me. Go at your own risk. Thank God it happened on the first night of our trip so I got over it, but NEVER AGAIN.

4  Thank Elissa A
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Maybe it was bad luck or timing, but our experience was chaotic, frustrating and felt dangerous.

It was disappointing. The group was too large (15 kayaks) and the trip leader gave minimal instruction. He focused on how to go forward and how to turn while paddling to go forward. The toughest part of the trip was through a narrow twisty channel where it's far more useful to know how to slow and turn by paddling backward, but he didn't explain that to anyone. So even someone who knows that ends up getting smashed into by the kayak behind.

There were a number of moments where the kayaks jammed up in tight spaces, leading to wildly swinging paddles coming near heads. Fortunately no one was injured (that we know of). Once we got out into the lagoon the guide spoke to us for a few minutes about what was there, and that was it. The bioluminescence was interesting to see but we didn't get much time to appreciate it.

We paid $300 for two adults and two kids, booking through our hotel. That included a very short van ride to the kayak spot. It may be possible to get a better deal booking directly with them, and if you know where to go (the gate on the left at the marina) you can walk there in 5 minutes.

I would have given it two stars for the bioluminescence but we didn't really get to enjoy it. The experience was so stressful that I had trouble sleeping.

3  Thank wredlich
See more reviews
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We went on the recommendation of a friend who had done this tour and had a mostly great time. We booked this prior to a cruise out of San Juan, so had to plan for travel time here. We payed extra for just 4 of us to be picked up, which was good, as we would've had a difficult time renting a car and finding our way there on our own. It took us well over an hour to travel to Fajardo from the Condado area of San Juan.

The actual tour took a while to get going, and we had travelers who spoke no Spanish or English. This caused some problem in the narrow waterways in the dark, but our guides still kept everyone on track and together.

That being said, we loved kayaking in the dark. I wasn't able to get pictures of the glowing plankton with my camera, but quite honestly, my favorite part was the peacefulness in the bay in the quiet of the evening. It was a moonless night (best time to go), hardly any clouds, and I was in wonder just sitting back in my kayak to gaze at the sky. A view of the stars you can't get in any city.

Be sure to wear a swimsuit - you'll get wet just from paddling, plus getting in & out of the kayak. I wouldn't recommend the evening tour if you'd never kayaked.