“Bad experience, but company made up for it”

Mini Boat Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
$94.78*
and up
2 Passenger Mini Boat Snorkel Safari
Ranked #5 of 54 Tours in Fajardo
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the Snorkeling adventure of a lifetime as you pilot your own 40 horse power inflatable MINI BOAT in an excursion across the uninhabited cays and stunning beaches off Fajardo, Puerto Rico's eastern coast!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bad experience, but company made up for it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I retracted a bad review earlier because the company contacted me and offered to refund our expenses, which I thought was good customer service. However, I still think some things need to be posted here simply so others considering using this company are aware ahead of time what to watch out for.

They take you to the good snorkeling spot first, then end up at Palominitos, which has zero good snorkeling, its just a boring little island with nothing to look at. So make sure you already know how to snorkel, or figure it out, on the first stop or you will miss everything.

Check the weather and make your OWN decision on whether its safe to go or not. They are a bit irresponsible about it. There were dark clouds coming over the marina before we left. By the time we headed back toward mainland, we had to boat through 20 mins of solid pelting rain and fog. Couldnt see a thing. At least it didnt turn into a lightning storm, and they eventually got us back after following the ferry. It could have been dangerous. Scratch that, it WAS dangerous.

If the weather had been better, and they did the trip in reverse order and spent a little more time before leaving shore making sure everyone had a mask that fit right, it would have been an excellent trip.

1 Thank Rees2100
Kayaking_PR, Owner at Mini Boat Adventures, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Readers,

My name is Percy Rier, co-owner of Kayaking Puerto Rico. As this guest mentioned, we were fortunately able to communicate with her to apologize for her unpleasant experience, and offer a full refund. We promise our guests the best aquatic experience in Puerto Rico, and we will not settle for anything less than that.

On the Mini Boat excursion we visit La Cordillera Nature Reserve, which has a handful of beautiful island and cays to choose from to visit, snorkel, or enjoy the beach. Depending on a few factors, our trained and certified guides will decide which islands/cays to visit each day. This may include: weather/sea conditions, visibility for snorkeling, traffic at the various islands, experience of the group, etc. It is unfortunate that this guest had such dislike for Palominitos Island as it is by far one of our guest’s favorites (see other reviews), and definitely one of ours as well.

Regarding the weather conditions: I would like to assure all readers that there is nothing more important to our company than the safety of our guests. We are continuously monitoring the weather both before and during the excursions through the most reliable websites, applications, tools, and marine officials. We are in constant contact with our tour guides in the water, who are all certified by the Department of Natural Resources amongst a handful of other relevant licenses and certificates. This being said the weather in the tropics its highly unpredictable, the weather can sometimes change in a matter of minutes. Weather is something we cannot control, but what we can do, and we certainly take very seriously, is that we are prepared for any possible situation on the water.

I would also like to assure all readers that if at any time we find an excursion unsafe to go out we would most definitely cancel. We do not want our guests to go out there and have a bad experience. From January 1st 2013 to date we have canceled 103 excursions (not to be confused with boats or guests). Based on those numbers, along with the many reviews posted, I would believe our company to be a quite responsible company.

I appreciate you taking the time to read our management response. Please feel free to contact me at any time should you have any questions or concerns regarding this review.

Cordially,

Percy Rier
Kayaking Puerto Rico

Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Puerto Rico Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen. Boys and Girls.
My boyfriend surprised me with the mini-boat tour at the end of an already spectacular trip. When we walked up to the deck and came upon rows of inflatable mini boats - I was totally confused. When I found out that we would get to commandeer our boat, I actually almost passed out of excitement.

THEN I find out that we not only get to jet around on our own boat our first destination is an island right off of Fajarodo. Upon arrival we anchor our boats, dive off the side and snorkel. Amazing right?

And... well... that's not it. The best part of this trip? We then speed over to this tiny tiny tiny little island with one palm tree. Straight out of Corona commercial.

We all jump out of the boats, bust out the smashball, volleyball, refreshments and live a life of pure luxury for an hour.

I could not recommend this trip more. Lastly - the staff. They are AMAZING. Our tour guides were ROCK stars and I feel like a total jerk not knowing their names.

I can't say enough good about this excursion. You would be crazy not to go!!!

Visited December 2012
“A lot of fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Excellent family activity. Great sights and very helpful tour guides. Kids will love riding the mini boats. Boats are easy to drive, well equipped with snacks and drinks.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“Great time - very professional staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Boats were fun - water was beautiful - snorkeling location was great with very good visibility in spite of the weather - everything was taken care of. Spent a week in Puerto Rico and this was one of the highlights of the trip. As a business owner it is nice to see a well run company with team members that seemed genuinely interested in the clients satisfaction and enthusiatic about their jobs like this team. Such an experience from a service standpoint during our first trip to P.R. was definitely the exception and not the rule.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Me and my girlfriend went on the mini boat adventure in March 2013. The trip consisted of us two and another group of 8 people. We had our own boat for the two of us and the other 8 shared two boats (i guess according to their own request) and we had two guides, each in their own boat. After a presentation of the trip and certain safety rules we were on our way. In each boat there was a cooler with water and some fruit and chips etc. It took some gettig use to driving the boat but after 5 minutes we were getting the hang of it while it was still challanging enough to be fun.
First stop was at a nice reef with some prett good snorkling. Second stop was at a small island with beautiful sand and water. There we had the choice of chilling on the beach or snorkling and we decided to do a bit of both. The snorkling here was not very good since most of the reef was pretty dead but my gf who hasn't done a lot of snorkeling still thought it was nice since there were some fish to look at. After the second stop it was time to head home.
+Great fun having your own boat and overall a great excursion.
+Guides and other representatives of the company were very professional and seemed aware of safety etc. All contacts with the company were very pleasent and they catered for my girlfriend allergy on short notice.
+Good snorkeling at first stop and beautiful beach at second stop.
-Not so good snorkeling at second stop, reef was pretty much dead.
-The second stop was a bit too short, would not have hurt staying there a 1/2 hour longer.

All and all I would do it again even if there are a few things that could be better. I you haven't snorkeled before you probably wont even realize that the snorkeling could be better. Without having done the mid day trip I would still recommend the morning trip because of the sun not being that strong and since there will be less other people around earlier in the day.