“Soooo Cool!”

Ranked #4 of 30 things to do in Fajardo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the three bioluminescent bays in PR - others are in Vieques and in SW of Island.
Brooklyn, New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Soooo Cool!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

You have to do this. We went to the one off Farjado. Kayaked out in complete darkness (Pure Adventure was the company and not terribly organized but we got there). So so cool. I heard that some companies let you get in the Bay to swim around but we could not. The guide said it was b/c the perfume, deodorant, lotion, hair gel, etc will eventually disturb the ecosystem of the the bay. makes sense.

Visited August 2013

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Vacation trip.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Very dangerous kayaking in the dark river without any lights. I was surprised that there were no accidents that night. The people including me and my wife were hitting low tree branches and other kayaks in the complete dark. The company made a pictures while we were kyaking and told us that the pictures will be available on their website, but there is no pictures that I can see.

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“TAKE THE ELECTRIC BOAT!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

After reading a ton of reviews about the Bio Bay excursions before leaving on our vacation, I decided that our family would prefer the electric boat tour. My husband,myself and my 16 yr old daughter really enjoyed Capt Suarez and our guide Michael. The glowing water was amazing, the ride through the mangrove channel was fun and Michael was very engaging and informative.
It was only when we were returning through the channel when we realized what a smart choice we made. There was a constant bottleneck of kayakers heading out to the bay it was utter chaos(like the Chicago expressway at rush hour). There were 8 of us on the boat and we all felt bad for the kayaks. Especially some of the younger kids who were upset/crying. Would definitely not recommend taking children under the age of 12 on the kayaks. Our boat ride was a great overall experience.
One last piece of advice: IT IS DIFFICULT TO FIND AND PARKING IS A PREMIUM. SO MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE EARLY AND GET GOOD DIRECTIONS BEFORE YOU GO. DON'T USE A GPS!

12 Thank Shellshap
Derby, Kansas
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Now, that was cool!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We used Pure Adventure as our tour company. They were very accommodating and nice. We were given a presentation on what to expect and how manage our kayak. We were given our life vest and walked down into the bay to get into our kayak. We paddled across the bay and into the mangroves. Being that we were on the 8pm tour, it was very dark and hard to see. The biggest battle is following the kayak in front of you and not getting swept into the current. Once we made it to the bay we put our paddles in and were amazed by the glowing. They encouraged us to put our hand in and put some water on our leg....it looked like diamonds! Our crew also explained how this phenomena happens. Unfortunately on the way back through the mangroves, there were so many other outfitters and their people that it was very hard to not run into other people. My son's kayak tipped, which was very scary for me since it was so dark and I couldn't see him, but the Pure Adventure guides were there immediately with bright lights to help them. It was a great experience and a night we won't forget!!!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great staff, great experience will do it again. Watching the sun go down and the water glow was magical