“Great experience”

Book In Advance
More Info
$105.00*
and up
Bioluminescent Bay Kayak Adventure Tour from San...
Ranked #8 of 34 things to do in Fajardo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the three bioluminescent bays in PR - others are in Vieques and in SW of Island.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I did the tour with Island Kayaking adventures and we had a great time. The tour was near the new moon which was perfect. Kayaking in the dark through the mangrove tunnel was a little unnerving, but once we got into the bay the view of the night sky was amazing. Please note that the Fajardo biobay was not as bright as some of the pictures we had seen of other bays but we were happy to have gone nonetheless.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,352)
All reviews
in 58 reviews
"bucket list"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was my first kayaking experience. We took the later trip in the pitch darkness, with my 9year old daughter sitting in the middle of the 3 person kayak. Im telling you now it was ridiculous! This was in 2007, right before they banned swimming in the lagoon. I was beaten and scratched by the mangroves there and back. When we reached open water we were allowed to jump in for a few minutes (that was the best part) only to see just a few glowing trails as it had rained all that day. The whole ordeal was comical! If I actually paid ffor it myself and wasnt able to swim, I can imagine being upset. At least now I can say ive been there! I advise taking the risk of bruises , scrapes, and embarrassments ONLY if you can laugh at life! If so, ENJOY!

1  Thank Jgir
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Definitely an experience. If you are in the area, I would say definitely try it out. There is a decent amount of kayaking to get to the final destination. So if you don't enjoy kayaking it might not be your thing. (Although I will say there were several people in our group who had never kayaked before and were struggling and the guides towed them to and from the destination when they saw they were having a hard time of it.) We love kayaking, so kayaking in the dark through a tunnel in the mangroves was awesome. I saw that some other people said they didn't see much glow, but when we went the water definitely glowed! It was brilliant and amazing. If you wear dark clothes you can even splash the water on you and see it glow before going dim. We loved it, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone in the area! The guides were friendly and knowledgeable and they take lots of pics which they post to their facebook account so you can have some memories of your experience without taking your own photos. I saw another review and just want to add...It IS dark when you go, the tunnel IS narrow, and you ARE supposed to go in a single file line; however, of course that doesn't happen when 20 kayaks of varying skill levels are trying to paddle together. I don't think it took away from the experience at all. We had a great time, and would recommend it to anyone!

1  Thank 600lbsofsin
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were on an anniversary trip and wanted to do something together to make us bond and work together. This was IT!

The Bioluminescent Bay was a MUST do in PR. You use a kayak, in the dark of night, out to the bay. It was about 30 mins kayaking each way. We crashed into trees a few times and got a bit frustrated but the bay was worth it. It is beautiful, like seeing God. Forget taking pictures. It is damp, wet, so the risk of ruining your camera is high. Also, unless you have a very high end camera, you pics will be all black. Just enjoy the time and buy a postcard. you are no longer allowed to swim in the bay, but gliding the oar and my hands was plenty. Read up on the history of it -it will enrich your experience. I loved every minute of it!!!!

1  Thank M_M_S_D