“Awesome!!!”

Ranked #4 of 30 things to do in Fajardo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the three bioluminescent bays in PR - others are in Vieques and in SW of Island.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Make sure you go here on a night when there is no moon out, you will be able to see the water light up better on a really dark night. Parking was not so good as everyone is out enjoying the food vendors and the party atmosphere, but overall it was great!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,328)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went on the English speaking night tour - make sure to ask for this as most of the tours are in Spanish. Our tour guide Carlos was fun and very informative!

1  Thank ROZ B
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Having lived in Puerto Rico while stationed aboard Roosevelt Roads, I've been able to experience both of these beautiful bays. The kayaking was a bit stressful with my 6 year old, ( yes, she know how to swim), as she couldn't help me maneuver the kayak. Make sure you bring a waterproof flashlight to see your way through the mangroves ! My husband and 7 year old son were on the other kayak and did just fine. Once in the bay it's amazing watching the fish swim by, seeing the glowing droplets off your paddle and fingertips. I highly recommend this trip. Just don't let both flashlights be in the same kayak and get dropped over board by the 7 year old. Mosquito Bay was alot more relaxing as I didn't have to figure out how to maneuver a kayak. I would do both again ! The beauty of the water is something you will never see again!

2  Thank Mermaid2257
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was my first exposure to Laguna Grande and since we had an infant in our group of 6, the only viable option was Night Walking tour which lasted for total of 2 hrs.

It started with ride in tram car and first stop was to the Lighthouse where tour guide presented power point around "dinoflagellates" and talked about significance of Lighthouse (This piece was informative but lacks universal appeal and might not find that many takers)

After lighthouse the next stop was Biobay - for about 30 mins with the help of long sticks you move the water to see the luminous effect.

Next stop was beach to experience it in the night and final stop was in the reserve where the tour guide talks about different night sounds in the reserve, showed species of coqui frogs, discusses how light pollution affects the area.

Overall great learning experience....If you are a student there are concession rates available for this tour...However was told that for Kayaking tour, mosquito bay, Vieques would be a better option.

3  Thank musafirtraveler
Reviewed January 31, 2013

First the literature shows was looks like Neon Blue Water. It had rained before we got there and we asked if it would effect it and if yes, by how much. They said not really and that things should be great. We then kayaked through a Mangrove Tunnel. I got hit inthe for head with branches and my forehead was bleeding. The other person in my Kayak got hit in the cheek and was bleeding also. The leader takes off, and if you are not a great kayaker, you are left in the dust, with a guide behind you telling you to catch up. Then we got to the "show", or should I say "No Show"- They give you a tarp to put over you so you can see the glow. Let me tell you there was little or no Luminessence. These people should be shut down for stealing peoples money!

4  Thank Mark S