“Me and my wifes favorite thing in PR”
Review of Bioluminescent Bay

Bioluminescent Bay
Book In Advance
More Info
$105.00*
and up
Bioluminescent Bay Kayak Adventure Tour from San...
Ranked #8 of 33 things to do in Fajardo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the three bioluminescent bays in PR - others are in Vieques and in SW of Island.
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was a great tour! I was about to book a kayak adventure through the Bio Bay, but it took them forever to call me back, thank goodness. So I somehow stumbled across these guys with their electric boat, and what a great decision. We saw so many people struggling in their kayaks while we relaxed in our electric boat and learned all about the bay and its surroundings. It is a family run business and they all speak great english so we understood every word, they were very friendly and growing up in the area they had a lot to share. The experience is unforgettable, it's so unreal! The guide was also a photographer so he helped change some of the settings on my camera so I can catch this magical event, only certain cameras work and I had a Cannon. Long story short, this was definitely money well spent, and if you're going to see the bay, DON'T GO IN A KAYAK! I went over a month ago and I just had to leave a review when I found there card, its that good.

10  Thank Jeremy Y
Write a ReviewReviews (2,347)
All reviews
in 58 reviews
"bucket list"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed October 3, 2012

You kayak through a dark mangrove out onto a beautiful bay and watch the plankton in the bioluminescent beauty sparkle on your skin, and in the water.

1  Thank biarritzblue
Reviewed October 3, 2012

WOW -- kayaking at night into the bioluminescent bay is a life experience! This is not for young kids so be sure to be ready to paddle all around the mangroves and enjoy this wonderful treat. Book directly with the folks that run these trips and skip the hotel surcharge.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I visited Puerto Rico and booked a kayak trip to the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo for September 15, 2012. Overall, I enjoyed the trip and would recommend the experience. If you are a first time kayaker, you might consider not learning in the dark. The trip truly is in complete darkness through a shallow canal out to the lagoon. You cannot see at all where you are kayaking towards and many found themselves in the brush and trees that surround the canal. I would recommend you try a kayak in daylight first, it's easy but you will be stressed if you try it in the dark for the first time. We took the 6pm trip down the canal, the bay was beautiful, but if you expect to see the water glowing you will be disappointed. Once in the bay, you put your hand in the water and as it rolls off your hand it truly sparkles likes diamonds. If a fish happens to swim by, it will cause the water to sparkle. The movement causes the glow, no movement no glow. On the way back through the canal we were ran over by the later tour, literally. It is a narrow canal, with kayakers heading in opposite directions in the dark- many trying out the kayak for the first time. It was a frustrating experience, we had no choice but to pull over and hold on to branches to avoid being pushed in the wrong direction. My husband and I are fit and experienced kayakers. Once we finally got through the heavy traffic we finished our tour without further issues. Once on land, the public bathrooms, were a special treat. Take your own toilet paper or go to a nearby eatery and borrow the bathroom. The public bathrooms were disgusting and not flushing- avoid if possible. It's hard to avoid as the trip will be around 4 hours. We paid around a 100 dollars per person, we got a bottle of water and a cookie when the trip was over. The tour included transportation from the hotel to the bay and back. The tour we selected does not transport from ALL hotels, so check before you book if your hotel is included. They sold use a print of a 4x7 picture for 10 dollars.

4  Thank Maria B