“so-so”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
chicagoland
“so-so”
Reviewed June 21, 2007

Just stayed at the fajardo inn June 10-12. This hotel is clean and basic, not 5 star by any means.
First the bad: Bathrooms are small and they never leave was any wash cloths. Hallways are hot & humid no air conditioning in halls and exit doors are left open. Only 1 ice machine which coincidentally never worked(had to go to restaurant if you wanted ice. Finally website says rooms have hair dryers, however found out that was only for suites.
The Good:Nice pools for a small inn and they give you towels for the pool area. Employees were very polite and helpful so long as your polite( saw someone being very rude to the receptionist they don't react well to this behavior neither would I).They helped me book trips to bio-bay(recommend Capt.Suarez) and snorkeling trip to culebra via East Winds(great time well worth the money).They gave me directions to both trips and this place is a fraction of the cost of El Conquistador, stayed there a few years ago. Good place to go if your looking to save some money and see the island. Not a good place to stay if your looking to be catered to.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — lack of ammenities
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank hecman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
puerto rico
Reviewed June 17, 2007

I live here in puerto rico and i went to fajardo for my sons graduation.I would recomend this hotel to families and couples
i'll start with the bad: When we got to the room there were ants on the air condition (minor problem)we just ignored it and they went away after the 2nd day.Lets go to the good things:the maids and staff are very nice,the pool is perfect,its clean,big,and has a bar that even serves sodas for kids! The restaurants on the hotel are good but not alot of selection but not to worry there are plenty of places to dine.I went to wendys and walmart at a plaza near by!I hope this review helps you decide to come to this wonderful hotel

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — room problem
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank adventure36
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I are in our late 20’s/early 30’s and planned on spending a week on Vieques. Because our flight got into San Juan too late to make the last ferry of the day, we decided to spend Friday night at The Fajardo Inn and head to Vieques the next morning. What a mistake. If you’re considering this, might I suggest you fly from either SJU, the smaller airport in San Juan (Isla Grande maybe?), or the airport in Fajardo and get to Vieques early! Between the hotel cost for the night and the taxi fare to Fajardo, you will end up spending about the same amount. The taxi cost us $60 to Fajardo and the flight to Vieques from Fajardo is $23 a person. Flights leave all the time.

Regarding the hotel, I was really surprised after reading the reviews that it was as “low-budget” as it was. This hotel is not nice. I have stayed in hotel rooms for $50 that were nicer. The room was clean, however, the sheets and blankets were incredibly scratchy and thin and the bed was uncomfortable. They had placed a tiny television in a huge armoire. There were plastic slotted bars on the windows and they did not open. The air conditioner cover fell off. The bathroom reminded me very much of a hospital room bath, although not as nice. There was a metal door that led to a small balcony with no chairs. Our view, the only plus, was very nice. Please note, as other reviewers have said, there are no elevators in this hotel and the ‘complex’ is built up a steep hill, so there’s no easy access for handicapped or seniors.

The facilities at the hotel are horrible. The putt-putt course was completely torn up and unusable. We played the first two holes and quit, even though we had paid to play. The holes were not marked with numbers or pars and they did not even have score cards. There were kids running everywhere playing on all the holes. The bugs were the worst part. They were absolutely awful, despite bug spray. After golf we made our way to the pool, which could be very nice if it weren’t for the bugs (we did not have this problem anywhere else in Puerto Rico-San Juan or Vieques). We stopped at the pool bar on our way to the pool and were surprised to see four employees talking at the bar, which we (rudely) found had no drinks or food. I wondered why they needed four people to staff it. When asked where we could get drinks, we were told to go up the hill to the other bar. When we arrived, it was also closed. An employee told us they only open it during the summer. At this point we were tired, hungry, and thirsty. We decided to head back to our room to change and go to the restaurant. They have an average Mexican restaurant on site that opens at 6:00, along with the other restaurant, which I believe is Creole (we didn’t visit). Our food was okay at the Mexican restaurant, although service was a bit more ‘laid back’ than we were used to.

From what we could tell this hotel caters to mostly locals and is not anywhere nearly as average as it looks online. This is a wonderful example of a hotel with great potential that just does not measure up. Regarding the area around the hotel, I remember reading reviews that said there were restaurants close to the hotel. We saw nothing other than those on-site and would not have felt overly safe walking to anything outside the hotel anyway. In my opinion both Fajardo and the Fajardo Inn could have easily been skipped and our vacation would have been much better. I absolutely would not stay in this hotel again, nor would I recommend it even to those looking for a hotel just for the night. Save yourself hassle and money and fly directly to Culebra or Vieques.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Reviewed May 13, 2007

This hotel is nice and for the price a good stepping stone between Vieques and Culebra Island. The hotel is pretty, clean and the pool is great!!! The beds are reallyyyyyy comfortable and the rooms are big. The only bad thing that happen was that somebody stole my professional blower and my hair iron. When I got home I stated to look for then and they where not in the suitcase,I call the hotel manager right away They told me They would call back and I never receive their call back. Is a shame that such a beautiful hotel employs people that do this kind of stuff to the clients. The hotels try to charge you for everything that you do, but but when is all the way around they are not responsables. ??????

• Liked — the pools
  • Disliked — missing my values
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank marysolc
Massachussetts
Reviewed April 30, 2007

PROS.... Hotel is extremely clean and it's grounds beaufifully landscaped with all variety of flowers and tropical plants. The room with a balcony is a most, great view of the ocean and the surroundings. The personnel was friendly and helpful. The bartenders at the Iguana Grill mexican restaurant are the best and the food was great and inexpensive. The big pool is an amazing work of art with the miniature gold and Tennis court.

CONS....Directions to the hotel are horrible and very hard to find especially if you can't speak spanish and never been to PR. Way too many locals around the grounds of the hotel and the swimming pool which made me kind of nervous. The upstairs restaurant was always empty, very expensive for what they offer. They do not offer continental breakfast, you have to pay for it at the restaurant . we went there once and it was expensive for what they offered so we ended up at Mac donalds. That tells you something. I asked if there was a gym and they said yes. I went down the hill to work out one morning and it turned out that it was a paid gym. they forgot to mention that. They also forgot to mention that you have to pay for the miniature golf as well.

OVERALL..... If you're looking for a nice relaxing vacation at an affordable hotel, this is the place to stay. I will definitely consider it next time I visit the island...

• Liked — Extremely clean and comfortable, spacious room
  • Disliked — Hotel is hard to find. Road to hotel is horrible
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lasher_mass
myrtle beach,sc
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We stayed at the Fajardo Inn for 2 nights booking 1 room each for 2 couples.The other couple wanted to spend less so we opted for the Fajardo Inn which is not on the beach but 10 minutes or so away.For the price, it is really a great value.The El Conquistador is much nicer and more luxurious but much more expensive.Some of the other reviewers did not have some items in their rooms, but we did.We had a coffee maker,hair dryer,iron, soap,etc.Our room did have a king size bed with extra pillows.The view was not great, but it matched the price.The floors are all tile and the maids clean them daily but I found a mat outside the room would have kept alot of dirt from being tracked in.I was annoyed by it and did wear my socks in the room to keep the dirt off my feet.Our room was very large and the furnishings were nice.The bathroom & shower(no tub) were small and did lack robe hooks,etc.There was only 1 towel bar.There was a dispenser in the shower with shower gel & shampoo.The pools are both really nice and there is even putt putt($3.00 I think.)There is a waterslide & small lazy river type area.It is really great for kids.There were always plenty of chairs open.The hotel is not in a resort type place but after we were there a night we did not mind.Seven Seas beach is about 10 minutes away and Luquillo about 20 minutes.We looked at these beaches and thought they were very dirty and gross.Take the ferry to Culebra for the day for the best beaches in the Caribbean.Playa Flamenco & the others are the best.There are a stray cats & dogs around the hotel( and all of PRico.)I bought pet food at the grocery store in Fajardo and fed them daily while there.We did not eat at the hotel.We ate at the Golden Bagel for breakfast & lunch.We tried Rosa's seafood for dinner 1 night.It was good,not fabulous, but good.I would eat there again.The flan was very good.We also ate at Restaurant Pasion something on the road towards the marina,Seven Seas beach, & the El Conquistador.It is on the left as you go up a hill.It was fabulous.Excellent service.Great skirt steak with tamarind sauce.Great fresh fish and shrimp.Yummy desserts.We have been to Puerto Rico quite a few times and have stayed in Old San Juan,Rincon,Culebra,etc.This trip was not about the beach for us- we were visting friends in Cayey-so we did not have to stay in a beach front resort.If you can stay at a really nice beach front resort, then do it.If you need to watch your money,stay at the Fajardo Inn.It is really a very beautiful property-similar to a better Holiday or Hampton Inn.It is very close to alot of things.The area around the hotel looks run down, but it isn't really.The people around the area are all different types of people.It is not a slum.Puerto Rican houses are different than American houses- they have flat roofs because of hurricanes,etc & most do have ornate iron gates & fences so it is more difficult to see people in their yard,etc.I did enjoy my stay at the hotel.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the location to beaches
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank marybpope
Connecticut
Reviewed April 24, 2007

The grounds were nice, the location is good.

I can't believe that you can get the same price for the Conquistador, which is what the previous review stated. I did a lot of research, thanks tripadvisor!

The room was not great: we reserved a room with 3 queen sized beds. After we got there we were told that all of these types of rooms do not have a view. I would have like to know that when I made the reservation, so I am giving the hotel a lower rating.

The room was a bit dark and musty, but it was clearn and the beds were comfortable. We did not spend much time in the rooms anyway. They have a nice lobby with wifi. The kids loved the pools.

We went to Rosa's seafood, the Golden Bagel, Pallo Tropicals, Metropols, Richs, and had some very nice meals.

The surrounding area was not great, as reported from a previous review, but I don't think it was squalor. I was thinking that my family would also be turned off by the area, but they were not, and I am proud of them for that. Many areas are poor, but the people are all very friendly. I found the experience very genuine.

Its not a resort where you are walled out from the undesirables; you are part of the crowd, not an outsider, and I liked that.

When I made the reservations I specifically asked about a room with a view. They should have informed me then that the rooms with 3 beds do not have views. Besides this annoyance the hotel was pretty good.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank MiddleMexico
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Melia Coco Beach
Melia Coco Beach
#4 of 4 in Rio Grande

Been to The Fajardo Inn? Share your experiences!