“Handy to the ferry, clean, new and fun.”
Review of The Fajardo Inn

The Fajardo Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Bridgton, Maine
“Handy to the ferry, clean, new and fun.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is one of those places that leaves you with a nice feeling. The rooms are big and clean as is the whole hotel. It has great pools and activities and is very reasonably priced. The Blue Iguana restaurant on site is very good too. If you're in Fajardo looking to take the ferry it is convenient. Be sure to park in the public ferry parking and avoid the private lot scams!

Room Tip: Ask for a view room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank peter1877

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had a 2 night reservation at the Fajardo Inn. My friend and I were staying in Fajardo for 2 nights to check out El Yunque and the surrounding beaches. When we arrived I was told that we needed to pay $30 extra per night for 2 beds since it was considered an upgrade even though on our reservations said we had booked 2 beds. We were taken off guard by this, but since we only paid $74/night we forked out the extra $30 to have our own beds.

The rooms are a good size and the hotel itself is nice. Don't expect anything extravagant or elegant. The pool area is decent sized with a small slide. We went in November and there was absolutely no one at the pool. The weather was still really warm outside (80's and humid). There are iguanas walking around the pool area which is kind of cool except for the poop piles every here and there. The pool area in general however is very clean and well maintained. They have a tiny mini golf area if you have kids they may enjoy that.

I am going to have to agree with a few of the other reviewers on bed bugs...or some kind of bugs. We did notice we would have bug bites in the morning. I can't be sure if it's from the beds because I never saw anything, but I did have that itchy sensation in the morning and saw a few new small bites like a rash (not like mosquito bites). The bugs in Puerto Rico are vicious in general though, so it could be from hiking or going to the beach. Definitely bring lots of bug spray! The hotel location itself is about a 30 minute drive from El Yunque and is close to the Ferry if you are going to Culebra or Vieques.

There is one restaurant called the Blue Iguana attached to the hotel. They serve american/mexican type food (ie. bbq ribs, nachos, burrito, etc). They have daily specials that were reasonably priced around $7.99.

I would probably book a room here again since it was on the budget friendly side and decent accomodations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ldvo
Reviewed November 29, 2012

First room had bed bug switched us to second room which had pubic hair on bed sheets! Front desk even asked us to hurry up and move from one room to next during switch because they were going to give the room to another person even AFTER we told them about the bugs!

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank JLchina
FIPR, General Manager at The Fajardo Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. After reading your review I am quite amazed with such allegations. We take this kind of situation in a very serious manner. As the GM I assure our property is well kept and maintain in good conditions, we are constantly improving our property. And I can assure you that we do not have any bed bugs in our hotel, as we take a lot of pride in our cleanliness. You can read other reviews and will find that most reviews express; that our property is very clean. I apologized for any inconvenience you might have had but I am very confident that we do not have bed bugs in our hotel. With that kind of pests we will not be able to operate.
New Jersey
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I booked a room during the slow period ("shoulder") and found the property nearly deserted upon arrival. Locating the property at night was difficult. The room was clean and basic. Enjoyed Mojitos at the bar, as well as, conversation with a very nice bartender. I ate breakfast in the restaurant and was ignored by the server for close to 15 minutes - a bit odd considering I was the only person in the room. When I asked for a second cup of coffee, I was warned rather harshly that I had to pay again if I wanted a third cup. Your options are limited in Fajardo and you can do worse than the Fajardo Inn.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank WendyWoman
Richelieu, Quebec
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I spent a week at the Fajardo Inn in Puerto RIco from November 10th to November 17th 2012. The place is very quiet. If you want to do nothing and spend your days at the pool. That's the place. The place is very clean and people who do the service are nice.
The major down side for this place is that you have to pay for a taxi and you are not near from anything.
My friend and I decided to rent a car. You are about an hour from San Juan and half an hour from the El Yunque rain forest.
I enjoyed the place for his quietness but I would not go back.

Room Tip: Try to have the second floor, which must have a better view. We had the first floor with view to the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the Fajardo Inn for 2 nights as a base camp from which to see El Yunque and hopefully go on a kayaking trip in the bio bay, Laguna Grande in Fajardo.

First, the bad:
- Directions on the hotel's website could definitely be more clear. Road signs in Puerto Rico are often nowhere to be found, and we got a bit turned around near the hotel.
- The area around the hotel is not an area I'd want to walk around in.
- The wi-fi is only found in the lobby, not in the rooms.
- The business center with the computers is locked; you have to ask a staff member to open it for you. This gets annoying if you need to go in more than once.
- The phone in the room must be unlocked by a staff member in order to make a LOCAL call! And when I called up to the front desk to ask them how to do this, I was immediately put on hold. There was no greeting, no "Front desk, may you hold for moment?" Just straight to music. Um... Apparently if there are people at the front desk, they will always give them priority. OK, fine - but at least tell the person who has called up there that you'll be right with them! Especially when you've got multiple parties in the lobby that you're helping - the person could be on hold for quite a while!
- While we were out at the pool in the middle of the afternoon, someone from their staff was using a leaf blower nearby for, I am not kidding, like 30 minutes straight. Can't this be done at a less peak time?
- They give you these "room passes" and tell you that if you lose them, they'll charge you (I think it was $25, or maybe $25 per pass?). Then if you want to go to the "nice" pool you have to bring these with you and exchange them for towels at the pool cafe/gym, and they make you wear a wrist band! Same thing if you want to play mini-golf. Turn in your cards, pay something random like $2.14 per person, and get two mini golf clubs and balls. (They don't have score sheets, by the way. Oh - and if you want to play tennis, you have to use your own equipment!! They don't even have equipment to rent!)
- We had breakfast at the on-site restaurant and had to wait for at least 10, maybe 15 minutes for the woman to come over and take our order. There were only two other parties in there, and the one guy who was by himself actually got up and went to the counter to place his order with the woman since she hadn't come by yet. But on the positive side, the food did come out very quickly once the orders were actually placed.
- If you're outside on the grounds during dusk, cover yourself in bug spray. I got a TON of bites which swelled to the size of quarters and STILL haven't gone away and I got them a week ago. Not the hotel's fault, of course - I'm just saying that they have nice grounds and if you plan to enjoy them, bring bug spray and use it liberally.

The good:
- The rooms are big and clean.
- The pools are nice. (Although the fancier pool would be even better if they actually used the set up in the middle of it as a bar... Maybe they do in the high season? In low season it's just empty and looks sad.) Even though we're in our 30s, we went down the slide and it was pretty awesome. (Bonus of going in low season - there was only one other family in the pool while we were out there!)
- The pool cafe serves smoothies made with soy milk. I'm vegan so this was pretty darn exciting.
- We went to the Blue Iguana restaurant on-site one night after having dinner elsewhere (one night at La Estacion - excellent, the other night at Calizo Seafood Restaurant - also excellent) and got some drinks and played pool (pay with quarters) and foosball (free). Nice to be able to drink and then just walk back to the room.
- On-site mini golf is great. The course is a full 18 holes and it's definitely entertaining.

BIO BAY NOTE: If you hope to kayak in the Fajardo bio bay, be sure to make reservations in advance. The day of we couldn't find any company with openings. We ended up going to the one in La Parguera since our next stop was to stay at the Copamarina in Guanica though, and the company we went with (through Rincon Vacations, a snorkel & boat trip to bio bay) allowed us to swim in the bay!! So amazing!!

By the way, the nearby Seven Seas beach (which the front desk will highlight on the map they give you) is a dump. Trash in the rocky sand. (No smooth white sand here!) There's rock formations in the sand right off shore - don't bother.

The proximity of the Inn to the rainforest was good (I think it took us about 20 minutes, maybe 30 to get into the park), but if I was ever back in Puerto Rico I would look at staying somewhere else other than Fajardo, possibly Vieques as long as I could stay there at least 3 nights. (From what I read about the ferry to Vieques (and getting there early, possibly not even getting on the boat, etc), I didn't want to deal with that in our short time on the eastern side of the island.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NickiPT
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here just for a quick overnight after visiting the bio bay on Vieques. The room was clean and reasonable, the price moderate and everything , if not exceptional, was just fine. Breakfast on the property was also good and moderately priced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Fajardo Inn? Share your experiences!