“El Conquistador”

Solon, OH
“El Conquistador”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2007

El Conquistador April 25-29, 2007
We just came back from our trip to the El Conquistador resort and are pleased to say that you will enjoy your stay!!!

The room renovations are just outstanding from the decor, amenities and the beds are quite appropriate for the resort.

We ate at the Strip House and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, food and wait staff. They made the night seem magical.

If you want to unwind, make reservations for the Golden Door Spa. The massages were totally relaxing and the various exercise classes were informative and enjoyable.

The food overall at the resort was top shelf. A little pricey for a midwesterner, but not for people from a large city.

If you want the local life, you can get a cab to go into Fajardo, the El Yunque Rain Forest or anything else.

For a total tropical getaway, make sure you go to the private island. Once there, you will forget whatever may trouble you.

We will go back to this wonderful vacation spot again!!!!!

• Liked — The rooms, view and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank plaindealer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,589)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

We stayed at the El Conquestador during 1st week of Feb. It was a company sponsored trip so I didn't really have to worry about the expenses but sometimes I felt that this is such a rip off.

1) Resort itself is old, it is painted but the furnishing are outdated and dirty. I would never pay for such lousy rooms myself.

2) Location is awesome, picturesque views of the Carribean, private Island is amazing.

3) Staff was friendly, no problems with that, they did mess up our bills but after persistent calling they fixed that.

4) Food: Food in the resort is aweful and pricey, my suggetion is to get a car and eat outside, local food is really good but you won't get served that in the resort. You can't walk out of the resort to get something to eat, there is nothing there. You would need to drive, by eating outside you might be able to save the amount you pay for the car rental.

5) Transport: The transportation is very limited and pricey, plan your trip so can rent a car. It will allow you to explore better parts of the island, if you are there only for 2-3 days, you could just spend that on the resort. Or rent a car for part of your stay. Book in advance.

6) Things to do
- Palomino Island: Jet Ski and other water sports, the island is beautiful and you get drinks and food served to your place. One word: Paradise.
- Rainforest
We took the rainforest tour, it's a half day tour and you can get the shuttle from hotel, it is pretty nice, if you have time you should go there yourself and do some trekking. I would have loved to spend more time in the rainforest, the tour was short.
- San Juan
We rented a car from Avis (Avis members get 20% discount) and drove to San Juan, you can get directions to the city from Conceirge. It's beautiful place,very good food, touristy, the forts are nice too. You can spend a day there, it does get a little tiring walking across the city. Take your sunscreen and water with you. You can buy your souveniours from there.
- Kayaking
We did the Kayaking night tour, you have to Kayak in the night for around a mile through marshes, and you can get to the bioluminiscnce bay. It's not adventurous but a fun event.
-Spa
My wife just loved the spa, it's very nice, must do on your vacation.

In summar spend as much of your time outside of your room as possible.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank incognito2007
santa monica, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

The grounds and amenities of this resort are absolutely stunning, but it is incredibly overpriced. My boyfriend and I went during the off-season so we got a great deal on a room with an ocean view, and there were very few guests at the hotel. But eating and drinking at the hotel was ridiculously expensive for medicore food and unbearably bad service. From the minute we checked in, every staff member at El Conquistador was impolite and rude. The the staff made us feel like they were doing us a favor by serving us overpriced drinks and food.

• Liked — Grounds and facilities were beautiful and well-kept
  • Disliked — Unbearably rude staff and overpriced food and beverages
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tricia_la
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2007

I read the reviews on this website before I went to this hotel, and honestly I was afraid of what I would find. However I was pleasantly surprised!! From the moment we stepped out of the cab to the moment we were dropped off at the airport, the staff was extremely courteous - my family and I are not used to this kind of service. The property and views will take your breath away. We went in the first week of May from Mon-Thurs so there were fewer crowds and the staff had more time to really take care of you, so if you're planning to go for a weekend in July/Aug keep in mind they are probably booked to capacity and cut them some slack!! Also, there was construction going on in some areas but honestly it didn't bother us, the workers were friendly to you if you were nice to them. Also there were no problems with our bill.

Some warnings: be prepared for the expensive restaurants; we spent the most on food while we were there. Apparently, there is a small fishing village you can walk to from the marina where you can experience real Puerto Rican cuisine for cheap prices; we didn't find out until the day we left so we missed out on that. Palomino Island (their private island) is a great place to spend a day, they have tons of water sports and horseback riding, etc. Again, keep in mind the prices. For tours and excursions, I would recommend renting a car for El Yunque Rainforest instead of paying for the tour. I would recommend bringing rain gear and wearing a swimsuit as it WILL rain when you go, and there are these falls which you can swim in. However it is a 35 minute hike from the main trail. For Old San Juan you should go with a tour; we went by ourselves and had no idea where to go. Also, for most of the tours that the hotel organizes, there is a 6-8 person minimum so we missed out on some of them cause there weren't enough people interested in going. If you're going with a group then you're fine but if you're in a smaller group (we were 3) then keep that in mind. Probably in the middle of the summer the tours will leave every day but make sure to call ahead to check.

All in all - this is a great place for groups to go to, there is so much for everyone to do. They have a lot of wedding parties here as well, they have a beautiful location for a wedding although I have no idea how much that would cost. Really romantic for couples. Families would enjoy themselves as well - they have a children's "club" with activities. I would definitely recommend this hotel for people who enjoy watersports, otherwise you will have less to do. Basically take these reviews with a grain of salt, as each person's experience will be different. We went at an opportune time because it wasn't so crowded and we were able to enjoy ourselves. When we left on Thursday we noticed the crowds rolling in and they probably had a different experience than us, who knows. Basically you need to go for yourself to find out!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank kitkatl3ar
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

This hotel/resort is NOT worth the money we spent to stay there. This resort is in terrible condition and the location allows them to overcharge on meals and drinks. I 've seen motel 6 rooms in better condition than this one.

We went on an all girls celebratory trip and dished out over 400/night for our room, needless to say we had high expectations but much to our dismay we walked in to our room to find-

Dirty carpet
A dirty bathroom
Mildew
Dirty floor tiles
Hair and trash in the bathroom and on the floor
The first day we didn't have hot water....just to name a few.

After speaking to a manager he agreed to let us move to another room. My friend and I looked at 4 other rooms and they were all in the same condition as the one we had, so we stayed put. Based on their rates and website pictures we had high expectations but we were thoroughly let down.

On a lighter note the service was good in the hotel and restaurants after they charged your lights out.

If you are going to Puerto Rico please don't waste your money, this is the Rodeway Inn of resorts......seriously.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — everything else, it was dirty and not well kept
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank niecymac
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

My husband & I just returned from a stay at the El Conquistador. DO NOT STAY THERE! Yes, for the most part, the negative reviews posted on Trip Advisor are true.
The bellman summed it up very simply, "Nothing is free at this hotel except the air." They charge you for everything, parking, tennis, the gym, etc. In addition to that, everything is expensive. Bottled water is $6.00, a simple greek salad (very small) is $19.00, and dinner for 2 at the Italian restaurant ran us $180.00. We found the food in the restaurants to be mediocre at best. After our $180 experience we started eating off the property. There are many very good restaurants in the area.
Although the boat ride to the beach is fun, it only ran every half hour at best. This was not very convenient, especially if we left the property for a trip and returned in the afternoon. There wasn't enough time to park the car, walk back to the room quickly, and use the tram to get to the boat, when the last boat back was at 5:00. I didn't go all the way to Puerto Rico to sit by the pool.
The room we had was very outdated and it looked like it had not been renovated since the 80's. The furniture was "beat" looking and also damaged. It looked like furniture you would expect if you were paying $69.00 a night, not $430.00 a night! The room didn't have a balcony, or a refrigerator. We were provided a "cooler" which kept water cool as long as I kept adding ice to it two times a day.
I also was not pleased with their customer service. One day I was changing my clothes and a stranger walked in my room. Unfortunately a bellman let him in to the wrong room. When I went to the front desk, very upset, the clerk was helpful, and brought the manager over to me. He apologized to me, but did not offer anything from the hotel to apologize. Even after I stated, "Sorry doesn't cut it for me, you can at the very least comp me a meal," the manager told me he would get back to me. Forty-five minutes later, my husband went back down to give him an earful about customer service.
The El Conquistador hotel is located in a beautiful location, but they need to irenovate their outdated hotel rooms, improve the quality of their restaurants, and customer service.

• Liked — The view from my room.
  • Disliked — The outdated room with damaged furniture.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bfreedman
Winnipeg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

We just received our Visa bill-------
On March 23/07 we booked 2 nites with Priceline. Then we were there on a convention with Clarica/SunLife. (Room 3305) Clarica was to pay for our rooms for the 25th, 26th & 27th/07. Then we booked the 28th & 29th/07 through Priceline. We were billed $550.30 by El Conquistador Resort on the 25th as well, which should have been billed to Clarica. Please contact me as soon as possible. We live in Canada. 1-204-638-0435.

Murray De La Mare
murrayd@mts.net

Room 3305
Acct #1008ZJ

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — size - long way to everything
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan