“Good for convenience of being on a resort.”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Pros: Several restaurants there, you don't have to leave. Several pool locations. Had no problem getting spots at the pool. Palomino island beach is a nice beach option. Beautiful lobby and environment. A spa on the grounds.

Cons: It's a large resort that hasn't been maintained to it's peak and it's evident. Elevators, rug, etc worn/dirty, spa rooms are nice but the steam room, etc provides little and is worn too. Food is very expensive compared to it's quality. Cleaning of rooms is subpar. There was a stain on our couch and hair all over the shower walls when we checked in. We moved the next day due to being close to the service elevator and were woken up the next moring to laundry sounds. It took some follow up but staff were responsive and wanted you to feel comfortable (Pro).

It's not 4 or 5 star. But it's a fine place to relax, be by the pool. It would be a great addition if they served Puerto Rican food (they don't).

They charge $15 for wi-fi and it's not reliable by the pools. Works ok in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank SFtraveler88
Write a ReviewReviews (7,751)

Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I have been returning guests at the El Conquistador for the past 14 years. I must say it is an outstanding hotel, from the picturesque views to the sandy white beach at Palomino island to the warm and friendly employees.
My husband and I have seen a total transition of the Big Hotel. In the 90's it was all couples, to see a family was a rarity. Now, there are families and couples alike. Under the auspices of Wyndham the property saw little maintainence. With Blackstone / Waldorf in control, we have seen tremendous changes for the best. Today, the hotel is on top of its game. Through all this time, there was one constant, the emplyees. They are the best. From the minute you pull up to the front door to the minute you depart, the employees have become our friends. We have become friends with everyone we made contact with. Everyone takes a personal interest in their job. This is what makes the hotel special and keeps us coming back for more. The Hotel General Manager should be commended for a top notch crew doing a top notch job.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed recently at El Conquistador Resort for two nights while visiting Puerto Rico for a week for vacation. Not normally within our price range, we were able to find a great deal through Priceline, making the room $75 per night (not including parking, resort fees, etc.). We stayed at the Resort the last two nights of our trip.

Here are our pros and cons:

Pros:
Great staff/Good service
Beautiful grounds and setting
Rooms were spacious, bright and cherry
Palomino Island
Sprawling, beautiful golf course

Cons:
Bed bugs (Garden room 4034)
Overpriced, average-quality food
Parking/Resort Fees are ridiculous
Casino, Coqui Water-Park, Horse-back Riding all lack-luster
Expensive activities (nearly everything has an extra fee)
Priceline guests not treated equally

The staff were all friendly and helpful during our stay. We were pleased the quality of service we received in that aspect. The grounds and views were also gorgeous. We loved the view we had from our room. If you enjoy golfing this would be a great place to do it; the grounds looked terrific. We also really enjoyed Palomino Island and the beautiful views there. Guests can take a 10-15 min. catamaran ride out to the resort's private island to enjoy the beach. I would encourage guests to take sandals or flip-flops that they can wear into the water, as the coral can be painful to walk on. The water was very clear (we saw fish and small, sand sharks) and refreshing; there were plenty of lounge chairs available in the sun or the shade; and there were lots of activities available to guests (miniature golf, snorkeling, kayaking, jet skis, horse-back riding - all at substantial fees however). I would encourage guests to visit the Cozy gourmet market (small convenience shop) inside the main resort to purchase a sandwich or a wrap before heading out to the island. There is a restaurant on the island but all of the meal options start at $17 and up. Our small, non-alcoholic drinks cost $4 and $6. Remember to pack the sunscreen too!

While at the resort we ate at Bella Vista one evening and Blossoms the next. To be more cost effective we split a pizza at Bella Vista and found that it was plenty of food for the two of us. Some of the restaurants charge a steep splitting fee though, so beware. We ordered the take out at Blossoms since we were tired but didn't want to pay the room-service fee. Again, the food portions were large enough to split, just beware of splitting fees when you dine in. Although there were good-sized portions, we found that the food quality was just average. We weren't too impressed. Be sure to check the meal prices posted in the hotel portfolio as well. We were surprised that the amounts had changed at the restaurant since they had updated the prices in the book, so we had to pay more than we expected. We let the front desk know at check-out that this information was incorrect and needed to be updated.

The most disappointing part of the trip was waking up to find that we had bed-bugs in our room. My husband's back was covered in small red bites. We were really surprised for how great this resort was supposed to be that they would have bed bugs. We told the front desk and they said they would have it looked at. I think an issue like that should receive more than an apology, such as a free meal, a free night's stay, a discount, something... anything.

Other things to be mindful of... If you book on Priceline be prepared to be treated like a second-class guest. Our resort cards said Priceline Guests only, as if that were supposed to communicate our status every time we paid. Even though we prepaid they also placed a hold on our credit card (which I believe they do for all guests, not just Priceline customers). They didn't however tell us they were going to do this. I found out when I tried to use my card and it was refused and I called my credit card company. When we checked out they refused our card and we had to remind them to remove the hold on the card (which was much greater in value than what we actually spent).

Be prepared to pay for everything... and at ridiculous rates...
Horse-back riding - $70 per hour
Two person Kayak - $40 per hour
Coqui Water-Park - $20 per person (adults)
Then all the extra fees: Resort fees (per night), Parking fees ($16 per night), extra service fees, etc.

We would not recommend this hotel to friends and family after the experience we had. We tend to appreciate local experiences more, where you can interact with the culture, meet locals, eat local food, etc. This experience provided none of those.

2  Thank aemalone
Reviewed July 4, 2010

This hotel is great, plenty of things to do, sights are beautiful. Palomino Island is great. Restaurants are little expensive tough but food is good.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

The Hotel is beautiful, many activities for children, The Coqui park for addition charge water park.. Hotel room was great. You pay FIVE STAR prices for food, and get 2 star food. The Cleaning, and bar hops are great. Most of the bartenders especially by the marina, horrible service and food too.
What a shame because it's a beautiful place. Also no music by pools, very quite, Casinos close very early every night., The only good meal wer had was at the Stripe House at a price of $176.00 for 2 people. great service there. I will visit the casino on my next visit to PR, but will never stay there again. much music

Reviewed June 30, 2010

I chose this Hotel thinking that it was a 5 star Hotel well to my surprise it was not. The staff was not friendly they ALL need customer service training!!! No one seems to know anything. I would ask how to get to a address and no one knew anything they would ask someone else they acted so stupid . Bathroom was awful with mole, carpet awful and looked dlirty. Staff at the front desk never has a smile on their face and rule. I would never go this Hotel again not even if they beg me. My advise to others do not go listen to the reviews they are never wrong.

1  Thank maru050
Reviewed June 30, 2010

My wife and I found these villas -- perched high on a hill -- the perfect address in Puerto Rico for a just-you-and-the-sea experience. Casitas have a dreamy remoteness, yet the shops, spa, restaurants and casino of the companion El Conquistador Resort are a short shuttle away. Even tho that shuttle can get tedious as the days add up, you can't beat the quieter, less crowded pace of the Casitas. Another ElCon asset that forces those shuttle trips: Palomino Island where the beach is - and 10 minutes by catamaran from the shoreside Marina Village. Staff was unwavering in their service, restaurants good if Waldorf-pricey. Sunless days in a resort all about sun was the big downer. Taxis were pricey so I think I would have scrambled some buses for rainy day shopping/sightseeing excursions to San Juan, 55 miles away. Lobby guests looking a little captive would have paid.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Fajardo Inn