7,765 results
All reviewsprivate islandpalomino islandwater parkla marinapuerto ricomarina areachopssplash barferry ridehorseback ridingcable carrented a carwater shoeswalk in closetcafe caribeocean viewlas casitas
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We traveled to the El Con for business but went early for some rest. It is a huge property and it seemed quite empty, even when our whole group was there. I had read mixed reviews but am always on the positive side so I wasn't worried. We upgraded to an ocean view room in the number four section and were right in the thick of it all. No balcony but the view was wonderful. We had a fridge and bought pop and beer at WalMart because this is NOT an all inclusive resort and the drinks were spendy. The cab ride is about 40 round trip but saved it in a cooler and our own snacks/drinks.

The private beach is wonderful and the spa is top notch...Food is great, too, but we did eat out and met locals who gave us suggestions regarding where to eat, tour, etc...We ended up relaxing on the beach or by the pool but did meet a wonderful fellow from the University who took us up into the mountains for a traditional Puerto Rican day with the locals. It was charming and the authentic rice, beans and pork were wonderful.

I think Puerto Rico is beautiful and although the resort is spendy and I only saw our room, (which really the only blemish was that the bathroom needed updating) and I would have loved a deck...I would recommend the resort/property with so many pools, a casino, lots of restaurant choices and really nice people.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 9, 2010

First off the good: The property itself was BEAUTIFUL, the views, pools, island etc... were all gorgeous and it was very relaxing... and the beds were COMFORTABLE... but that's about it for the good.
THE BAD-- the place and rooms were FILTHY! Our room was disgusting. The floors and tiles looked like they had not been cleaned in years. I do not think our sheets were EVER WASHED in the 5 nights we were there (they had a sign saying they washed sheets every three days due to "wanting to be 'green and environmental'" unless you left a note saying otherwise, we did, and they still were not washed (even every 3 days)-- there were no bathrobes in room, and all around some Hampton Inns are better rooms.
Service was SLOW SLOW SLOW-- room service for a pot of coffee took 2 HOURS! and again with the filth, the pot was NEVER REMOVED from our room... it just sat there for 3 days.
NICKLED AND DIMED! everything cost money... I expect to spend money at a resort like this but honestly every activity had some fee attached to it, I still can not figure out what our "resort fee" covered, except for the privillage of staying there. The Ritz San Juan also charges a resort fee, but with that you get use of all the amenities... here... nada!
Food-- Food was mediocre at best, awful at worst, and despite numerous restaurants on site, they all seemed to have the same menu.
Bottom line, if you do not care about anything other than a beautiful view and a relaxing time this is your place... but if you want a really nice resort atmosphere Stay away and head to one of the other upscale and much finer resorts in the area like the El San Juan or Ritz.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mckan514w
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I would have to say that I was very excited to get here. However, we lasted ONE night and went right to the Ritz Carlton in San Juan. This hotel is outdated, old, and the rooms are just boring. It looks like someone went to ikea and updated desks and beds with garbage! and although the palomino island is nice, its a FULL DAY excursion to get a damn tan. who wants to wait 1 hour for a boat just to go to the beach, and the beach seems nothing like a resort beach. what a joke of a place. i'm shocked.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jenna181
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I was also one of those travelers, who wary of bad reviews, decided to go anyway.
I am SO glad I did.
Maybe I just havn't been to many nice hotels, but this resort was amazing. The staff was extremely helpful, the resort itself was beautiful and fairly well maintained, and the food was fabulous.
You get an idea of how good the service is as soon as you get off the plane. As soon as we entered the San Juan airport we saw an employee from the hotel holding a sign for us. She gave us directions to the shuttle which was waiting right outside. After boarding the shuttle we were offered cold drinks and 15 minutes later we were on our way! They played a video showing the resort amenities which lasted for most of the ride. After entering the resort area, the views become beautiful as you drive to through the golf course. Finally we arrived (about 1hour drive) and a man was waiting to take our bags while we checked in. We had a partial ocean view which was beautiful. The rooms are average with nice large bathrooms and a nice balcony.
There are many resturant choices, all having good food and slightly high costs. The stip house was our favorite and if you go you MUST get their chocolate cake for dessert!
Palminio Island is clean and has the most amazing water ever. The taxi ride is fun and relaxful. I would suggest taking a snorkeling excursion instead of going on your own, because the tour takes you by boat to a nicer reef and the equipment is included. Everywhere we went was not crowded, yet had enough people so it didn't feel like a ghost town.
Horsebackriding, snorkeling, bio bay tours, and the waterpark are all fun activites. To arrange them just go see the concierge. The waterpark was great with no lines at all, and the drop slide is quite scary. The biobay is awesome I definetly recommend that!
There was just so many fun activites there I can't review them all! All in all its a great place, with amazing views that you see everywhere! The people are friendly and it is a trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CS_711
Reviewed January 27, 2010

My husband and I and our 2 children, aged 6 and 8, spent a week here while we were at a conference. The property was beautifully situated on a cliff overlooking the water. Rooms were certainly nice, but I wouldn't call it luxurious. The staff was wonderful and friendly. My one beef with the hotel is that they charge you for everything! Transportation back and forth from the airport was almost $300 for all of us (their bus is slightly cheaper than a taxi). The waterpark, which is ONSITE and available only for guests, is $20/person/day. There is a mandatory "resort fee" of around $50 tacked on to your bill each day, and also a "maid fee" and a "luggage fee"....you see where this is going? It became somewhat ridiculous and that is the one reason I would never go back. Food is also crazily expensive ($15 for a hamburger), but that isn't any different than other high end resorts. As long as you know you will be charged to sneeze at this resort, it is otherwise lovely and charming, with plenty for kids and adults to do.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family