“LOVED ITTTTT....................”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Philadelphia
“LOVED ITTTTT....................”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2005

This hotel was so beautiful and large they have buses that pick you up from the airport. Palamino island is so so beautiful one of the best beaches in puerto rico. The resturants are very over priced I would say pack som goodies and put in the fridge they have in everyone room , it can add up big time, try the bio-bay next door its great had the best time there.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank jphillyrican

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,589)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albany, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

We got married in El Conquistador in Puerto Rico on July 16, 2005. It was like living a dream! The staff, starting from the wedding coordinators, Nelly Rivera and Luis Camacho were excellent in trying to accommodate us and our guests in every way they could. The food was excellent and the weather was fantastic. We recommend any couple that is planning a destination wedding to truly consider having it at El Conquistador, you would not be disappointed!!!

6 Thank mila65
Flushing, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

There have been enough reviews of this hotel (seemingly mostly negative) for anyone reading these posts to make their own opinion on whether they want to stay at this resort.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents as I have family that regularly stays in the Casitas area of the resort and let me in on some information that any new guests should know.

First, this is no longer a Wyndham property it has been bought by a company called Blackstone (I am not familiar with them at all) and the resort is going through a major transition. Please keep this in mind when making your reservations. I made my reservations for this resort back in May as an American Express promotional; through the Wyndham reservations hotline and had a difficult time with Wyndham customer service once I checked into the resort.

I had reserved an oceanview room and upon check in I had a lovely view of the tennis courts, also once the luggage was delivered to the room there was white paint on one of the pieces and to put the icing on the cake I did not get the Wyndham by request amenities in the room as promised. I tried to resolve these issues with the management of the hotel but I got a frustrating run around ultimately only being able to leave a voicemail to a generic voice mail box as the resort manager could not be found. Once I ran into the brick wall of no customer service or satisfaction - I called the Wyndham 800 number directly and receieved no help and I mean nothing! I was told since the resort had been transferred to new owners only 2 days prior to my arrival they would not be able to do anything for me. This made me extremely angry since this was not communicated to me at anytime prior to arrival to this resort. Wyndham gladly took my money for these reservations (I had to put down a 2 day deposit via my credit card) and kindly said I was SOL . I will never stay at another Wyndham property because of this - I will gladly put my money towards other chains in the future.

Not to bore you with the details - it all eventually worked out once security got involved to help me with my problem with the paint on my suitcase. The security manager saw how upset I was (and I was also on the phone with American Express to try to stay at another hotel) moved me to an oceanview room and cleaned up my bag - thanks again Felipe! Once I actually got a manager I even got my Wyndham by Request amenities but this was a day later.

I hope that the new owners will restore this property to the glory that it once was because this truly is a lovely location for a resort.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank Maddict
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

It was a great place for a wedding back in 2004. From recent reviews if appears that maybe things are going downhill. I had heard that another hotel management company bought it...not sure if that is contributing.

We asked friends and family to join us for a vacation wedding week at the El Conquistador. Aside from the pains of planning a wedding from the states, the wedding part was wonderful. It is the best setting I have seen for a wedding in a tropical location (I could be a little biased!). It has a cliff-side with different levels, so we chose to get married on the lower level, near the ocean and then have our ceremony at the top cliff (not the very top...the Las Casitas Village is one more level up). There is a beautiful terrace that overlooks the pools, the hotel, down to the ocean from the terrace. And we were fortunate to have beautiful weather in June.

I requested that the hotel arrange for all of our guest to stay together in the rooms in the Marina Level. I am glad we did as the rooms seemed to be in good shape. The rooms that are in newer buildings are a bit nicer than the rooms that are in the original Marina buildings. There is a pool that not too many people know about at that level with a drink bar. BallyHoos the outside bar/restaurant by the boats is also on the level, as is a seafood restaurant. (ok food). It is fun to take the funicular up and down to get to and from the Marina Level to the other levels. And the other bonus is that you are RIGHT there at the ferry which takes you to Palomina island for the beaches. THe other area that I would recommend, if not staying in the Marina village is Las Vistas wing...the wing that is closest to the Golden Door Spa, Golf course and Las Casitas. Of course, Las Casitas is nice but that is a different price range.

I am attaching some photos of the hotel....a few thrown in there of the wedding. I didn't want to include any with us in it and have plenty more to share about our wedding planning experience so get in touch if you are interested in more info.

• Stayed June 2004
9 Thank travelchica
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2005

Hey folks this is just some advice in reference to those of you planning to stay at the El Conquistador Hotel. If you are interested in going on the biobay tour you dont have to book it thru the hotel which charges $65. All you have to do is take the funicular down to the Marina area and walk towards the left which will lead you thru two parking lots. After passing the two lots you will find a pathway which will lead you to Las Croabas Bay, there you will find the operators which provide the tour into the biobay. You can choose from amongst them and save yourself about $20 in the process.

Stayed January 1999
15 Thank boricua35
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

Disappointed!
My family stayed at the Wyndham El Conquistador from August 2nd through August 10th.
This resort COULD BE awesome (the views are spectacular); but it is poorly managed and not very well maintained!
We joined Wyndham By Request which provides a welcome amenity (stale peanuts) and our package was the Family Getaways. The kids eat free off the Children’s Menu (WARNING: Not every restaurant is included and the Mexican restaurant at Las Olas had closed down)!
Our room was within the Las Olas village. Everyday I had to call to ask for the bathroom to be cleaned (or cleaned again because it was still dirty). We had to take the funicular to get anywhere. At first this was cool, but after a few days it got tiresome.
We went to David’s Cookies (and left); the display case had bugs flying around inside the case with cookies, pastries, etc…YUCK!
Palomino Island is nice. You MUST wear water shoes. There is coral and rocks everywhere. Also, watch out for jellyfish.
Some of the pools had MOLD on the sides and ALL chairs had bird droppings.
Every dining bill was wrong (overcharged for kids-eat-free, mistakes, etc)! My wife and I would check our folio on the TV every night and we would have to call for an adjustment.
The gym at Las Olas and the Golden Door Spa was good and well equipped. The Marina village had a small playground and a basketball court.
Our children (ages 7 and 4) went to the Kids Club a few times. They have trained/certified counselors and the kids go swimming, arts & crafts, movies, PlayStation and they get lunch.
We had walked around La Casitas Village and went to the infinity edge pool a few times (beautiful and unbelievable views)!
The food is good (not great). The portions are small and very overpriced. The service is horrendous! We saw a couple after 20 minutes leave because of NO service. At times, our server would disappear and I would have to go find him/her to ask for a menu, order food or to get another drink. How can La Casitas be a five diamond resort??? We ate at their French restaurant one night and our server brought the tray with our main course next to our table and had walked away! After ten minutes, I got up and “served” our own dinner dishes. They charged us a 20% service charge for that too!
This is NOT a 4 star resort (3 at best). It could be 4+, but the workers are poorly trained (service is very bad) and the property is not well maintained.
Don’t use the hotel or Concierge services for sightseeing. Get info and maps from them. You can $ave money and rent a car and see the rainforest and old San Juan yourself. Also, you can walk to the town for the kayak guides to the Bio Bay. Ask for Captain Suarez if you want to take a boat instead of the 2 hour kayak tour.
My family had an enjoyable vacation, but my wife and I were very disappointed with the service and cleanliness!

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank JohnnieDude
Ridley park, Pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

I should start off by saying My husband and I have 4 children and thought we were getting away to a luxurious retreat together, BOY WERE WE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The inside of the hotel was clean, I suppose that's because they didn't want you to run out right away. The outside was absolutely atrocius, the pool was dirty, the bathrooms were so smelly and disgusting I had to walk back to my room to go. Our room by the way had gum on the head board and a pack of someones cigarettes still next to the bed upon check in. Customer service was certainly lacking, don't dare ask for any help or to clean the pool. I felt like I was back in Disney World with the amount of children, I am not against them, But they were all locals getting everything for free or almost nothing on the friends and family deal. They rip you off for everything. We were going to book a trip to the bioluminecent bay it was 65.00$ a person we walked right around the corner from the hotel and got it for half the price throughthe same company and it was the same trip, the Wyndam charges double and takes there half. My husband wears a suit and tie everyday for work, there was no way he was putting pants on to eat on vacation, I could see if he a tank top or something but he had Khaki shorts and a golf shirt, but was unacceptable, yet men were wearing jeans. The whole place needs to be taken over, it has wonderful potential. Needless to say we won't be returning and from the talks we had with people there neither will anyone else.

4 Thank 4boyz4us
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan