“Tried to scam us after check out”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Goleta
“Tried to scam us after check out”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We had a decent trip -- a beautiful location with a mediocre hotel -- but as others have noted: watch your bill. In our case at checkout the front desk added $750 to our bill (for breakfasts and transportation included in our package deal). After a monumental struggle, they removed these charges. We paid the bill ($2000+) and left. After we got home, the nice people at the hotel changed our bill to add charges back in! We've had to file a claim of fraudulent charges with our bank, and cancel our credit cards because they kept trying to charge us after we left. No vacation is worth that. Avoid this place, unless you don't care about getting ripped off!

Oh yeah, and there was CONSTANT construction the whole time we were there -- on Palomino Island, and at the hotel. Imagine trying to read your novel on the beach while listening to an electric saw and hammers!

3 Thank BeachLovers67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,633)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
QLD AUS
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Although its been almost 2 years since my stay at El Conquistador, I still consider it one of my favourite places to stay. We stayed for 10 nights and were given a room down by the marina. The entire hotel, pools, casino and grounds were amazing. We took the free boat over to Palomino Island about 5 times, where we went horse riding on the island, rented a kayak and paddled out to a tiny deserted island and , when we felt like doing nothing, we pulled our sun chairs half way into the water read books and relaxed. The breakfast buffet, although a little pricey, was absolutely worth it. They also have a small gym with breath-taking views of the beach. We generally like to spend only a small amount of time in our hotels when we travel, prefering to go out and explore instead, however, at this beautiful hotel, we only left the grounds 2 times in 10 days. That really says something. A few of our friends had hotels in San Juan, and from what we saw, there was absolutly no comparison

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jazzylostoz
Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed April 3, 2009

This hotel is simply one of the best! The grounds and facilities are amazing, the staff is top notch, the activities and amenities are perfect

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Chattanoga
Reviewed April 1, 2009

We were at the resort for six days, when we got there they tried to book us (my two daughers and myself) into a room with a view of the driveway, when we were supposed to have a double room with an ocean view. We were able to get a somewhat better room but had to walk 15 minutes to get to anywhere. We booked treatments at the Golden Door spa, the service was average with a huge price. Then when I got home they had run a charge thru my card ($160) for two no show appointments on a different day, and I still cannot resolve, they never call back when they say they will, etc. Also there were about $500 charges on my bill that I had to resolve and have removed on the day we checked out. Check every charge carefully! Other than this, the place was beautful, we enjoyed the island, the staff is friendly and helpful. I got sick with sun reaction and they got a doctor on the phone with me immediately and the medicine was delivered within an hour. Also had left my camera in the spa and realized after hours and security got there right away and got it for me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Chehan
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I had heard mixed reviews on this resort, so didn't know really what to expect.
I have to say the resort grows on you, and by the time we left (6 days later)
we really liked it. I don't think the scenery can be beat! Fantastic vistas all around.
We had a room with a beautiful ocean view. The room itself was okay, the
bathroom very nice, the view spectacular.
Check in was rather slow, we stood in line for about 20 minutes, so we were
a bit put off. Very nice bellman took us to our room, and gave us more information
on the resort than we could absorb.
The pool areas are very pretty and chairs are always plentiful, no matter what time
you go there. I thought Palamino was too hot, so we just went there once to check
it out. The pool servers didn't come around too much, but it was easy enough to
get drinks.
We ate at Stingray, where we had a wonderful meal, I highly recommend it.
We also ate at the Striphouse and the Italian restaurant, which were both very
good, but I thought Stingray was the best of all.
The resort is not cheap, but it is beautiful, the food was very good. We had a great
time, and would go back, although we really do lean more towards all inclusives.
One thing I would like to add is that I forgot my small handbag in the martini bar,
realized later that I didn't have it, searched frantically for it with out luck. I mentioned
that I lost my purse to the one of the waiters at Picollo, Domingo, and he called
security for me, and they had it! Domingo brought it to me a platter; and was
ecstatic. He told me that was the hotel rule, when something is left behind,
it is taken directly to Security. I think this a very effective rule, and speaks to
the honesty of the hotel staff.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank JenniferNH
Minnesota
Reviewed March 30, 2009

The El Conquistador Resort is the nicest most complete resort we have stayed in Puerto Rico. Some reports we read made us a bit hesitant about the resort and it's size and age, and our experience to the contrary is why we decided to write this report. The resort was very large beacause of the option of Villas, independent 3 bedroom living areas, and a couple of hotel options. It was easy to get around the complex with the support of the staff and golf carts that would pick us up at the villas and bring us to the hotel lobby. The villas were more isolated and quiet as we had hoped. There was a nice small pool and a couple of hot tubs available for the villas. The resort offered many options including golf, tennis, cool state of the art water park, multiple pools, good restaurants, shopping, access to the bioluminescent bay, beach on an island, a cable car, marina and a very polite supportive staff all around. We plan on staying at El Conquistador during our next annual trip to Puerto Rico.

1 Thank wakho
MN
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We booked our room in the Olas with 2 double beds and had a great view. We found out later the the Las Casitas Village would have been cheaper and would have had all the same things but would have also included Free internet, full kitchen and private pool for the village with a full bar with food. This would have cut down our expenses alot. The food is very pricey but good. The Olas is like the "forgotten village". There isn't anything but a pool and hot tub with towels. If you want a drink or food you need to get on the tram and go up or down to find a place to eat. I would not recommend this village for a family who needs a kitchen. I would go to the Las Casitas Village and get the same thing with a kitchen and for less cost.
The island is fantastic!!!! The water park is also great!

Would I go back. If I stayed in a place with a kitchen.

1 Thank Fun1Mn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan