My mother and I stayed in the Wyndham El Conquistador for the first leg of our two week vacation in Puerto Rico in June. I, like many, read numerous reviews of the hotel and was feeling very skeptical of my hotel choice. My only advice ... know what you are paying for!
The rooms (at least in Las Brisas) were old, outdated and musty and the food was entirely too expensive. The funicular (similar to a cable car that transports guests to parts of the hotel at the bottom of the cliff) can be inconvenient and crowded.
But ... the views are breathtaking. And Palimino Island is a MUST SEE! It is like having your own secluded beach. The water is crystal clear with varying shades of turquoise and blue that linger off into the distance. Be aware, there is a large reef/rock that surrounds much of the island (at least by the beach), therefore, there is not much room to do any swimming. But the hotel provides comfortable beach chairs, many of which are situated under grass roofed huts or swaying palm trees.
If you are the kind of person that enjoys an emmaculate hotel room and feel you would dislike the inconvenince of traveling on the funicular or catching the ferry to Palimino Island, then this resort is not for you.
But, if you are adventurous and enjoy beautiful grounds and are attracted by the idea of having your own secluded beach then you can't miss with the Wyndham El Conquistador. If you choose to stay at this hotel, I would recomend renting a car rather than taking the shuttle to the hotel. We were able to go out and pick up snacks and drinks to save on expenses. We also tried to take a travel size cooler to Palimino, but were told that coolers were not allowed. Quick fix - put all of your drinks in a bag or backpack and when you get to the island ask for a bucket of ice at the bar. They commonly hand these buckets out to guests that are buying bottles of beer.
One last thing ... which left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth ... be aware that the resort tacks on additional tax and tariff charges. We ended up paying $40 extra per night in addition to our room rate. That sucked!!
All this resort needs is a few extra dollars spent on remodeling the outdated hotel rooms and it would be close to perfect. I would defintely recomend this hotel to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning oceanfront resort perched atop a cliff, overlooking Caribbean Sea on one side & Atlantic Ocean on the other. Check out the dramatic views, the private island, relaxing spa golf course or the water park - it's all part of this Caribbean paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- El Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo