One of my work associates has stayed here twice before and raved about it.
I brought my wife and three college aged kids for 5 days and nights. The resort is lovely with a wonderful view of the ocean. There is a water park available with large slides along with multiple pools, a hot tub area, a marina, numerous on site restaurants and a private island with a wonderful beach you get to with a free ferry ride from the hotel.
All the staff were fantastic. A special person was Joseph who took exceptional care of us by the pool. Every day he would provide some sort of extra service like making us reservations or providing useful information along with bringing us food and drink. We also had good care by Jasson at the upper level bar working with Ramon. They seemed to really enjoy their jobs and spending some time with us.
They even had some magic / illustionist provide a paid show for three nights. These individuals were very entertaining. The cost was $25 (cash only) but worth it.
There is a Starbucks on premise. They may not be as efficient as here in the mainland but the drinks are just as good.
During the trip to the resort you will see some very poor areas. For my wife who is from Honduras it looked like the poor areas there, also. That does not mean the places are unsafe since there are many good eating areas (wonderful restaurants—ask at the resort) sprinkled around that are not to be missed. When the car turns to the resort area the entire landscape seems to change to green, lush grass, and golf courses and a beautiful resort looms large.
Our room was great with full ocean deck and view.
The hotel is large but comfortable and has a lot of local flora growing throughout You will tend to hear some of the small local frogs making their distinctive sounds during the night but the fan on the AC will minimize any distraction. Beds are fine, plus flat screen TV within a good sized room.
Also located there is a marina where we signed up for beginner scuba (you can also do advanced) at Casa del Mar which was a huge hit with the kids. They take their scuba seriously but are very friendly and helpful. The initial lesson (1 hour) is in the pool with the gear to get familiar with it for a beginner. Our instructors on the boat dive (Nick, Carlos, Jackie and Omar) were fantastic. We dove with Jackie who stayed with us the entire time. You only go to 25 feet but it is at an island about 10 minutes away and you get to see a good amount of sea life including a scorpion fish. The underwater portion was about 30 minutes long—quite sufficient.
Even though my wife is not a swimmer, Carlos took her snorkeling (with a flotation around her waist) and she had a blast.
Every day was an adventure and the weather (July) was consistently wonderful. The view is breathtaking. Every day my wife woke up early to sit on the balcony and just look out at the ocean and the island.
We also took one of their local tours of the Rainforest. There are hikes and there are walking tours. We did the latter and it was great. The guide was very friendly and knew all the plants that grow in this amazing place. If you do the hike you can swim in a waterfall.
There is also a bioluminescent bay kayak ride. While we didn’t do this (booked) we found that if you go down to the marina and go out the gate there and walk a ways (8 minutes) you come into not only great restaurants but all the kayak places you can imagine so if they can’t take care of you in the Resort, book it yourself by the water.
We really loved our stay at El Conquistador and plan to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning oceanfront resort perched atop a cliff, overlooking Caribbean Sea on one side & Atlantic Ocean on the other. Check out the dramatic views, the private island, relaxing spa golf course or the water park - it's all part of this Caribbean paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Prestigia, Travelocity, TravelUp, Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- El Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo