Suenos del Mar(Fajardo)(Great Value!)
$130
$224
$212
Priceline
  • Pool
The Tarpon's Nest Lodge(Loiza)(Great Value!)
$145
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
$201
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
$153
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
7,763 results
All reviewsprivate islandpalomino islandwater parkla marinapuerto ricomarina areachopssplash barferry ridehorseback ridingcable carrented a carwater shoeswalk in closetcafe caribeocean viewlas casitas
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2004

This was an absolutely beautiful hotel, and was filled with beautiful forest noises at night. The rooms were average, but clean and we had a great ocean view. Try the Wyndham Special drink--yum. We went in May and it was not crowded. My Wyndham by request snack was not exactly what I ordered, but the fruit was nice and appreciated. The biggest piece of advice I would have is to check any reservation at the Golden Door Spa three of four times to be sure they have it. Pretty much every woman that was there had their reservation messed up. Once you get past that, the experience at the spa is phenomenal. Ladies, ask for Javier for your massage. My girlfriend had him, and she said afterwards: "I'm not sure, but I think we are engaged now!" Nothing inappropriate, just a handsome guy who gives thorough massages! Service in the restaurants was slow, but you are in Puerto Rico on vacation--who cares when you have the most incredible view ever. The grounds of the El Conquistador are the most beautiful of any hotel I have seen. Staff were friendly; maid service was fine.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Glendale, CA
Reviewed May 17, 2004

If you want to be away from the city life, this is the place to go. If you want to get to know Puerto Rico you need to RENT a car to get out of the resort and be willing to drive 45 mnts to San Juan or 2 hours to Ponce, the two nearest big cities. Both beautiful, worth visiting and not a difficult drive. Do some research.I think they should at least have a shuttle that gets you to and from town. (Fajardo or Luquillo beach) In case that you need to make purchases, such as pharmacy or the sort. Instead what they have is ferry trips to Palomillo and Culebra beach.The other problem is that they do not serve any food from the island, I found this was lacking in courtesy towards the culture and to the visitor.There is a nearby beach called Luquillo that offers traditional food in what they call "kioskos" (stands). The food is safe (we ate it and had no problem with it) .Also in Luquillo there is a small restaurant we found called Caribbean (----------------------, it only opens after 5 pm, but its very, very clean & the food (Mofongo w/Lobster) was superb. Call first.Do some research in the hotel's literature about the native food.Other than that the resort is excellent in other ways and if you want to be isolated the beauty and the weather are like paradise.Note about the people: Puerto Ricans are known to be very warm, nice and smooth, unless that you rub them the wrong way. So don't have an attitude & they will pretty much try to accomodate your needs.

Reviewed May 14, 2004

Wife & I went to the El Conquistador April 23,2004 & stayed 5 nights. We had a great time and we both
felt it was well worth the money. We have stayed at other resorts in Cancun, Dominican Republic,
Bahamas.. and we felt this resort was beautiful.
The staff were polite and very helpful, we suggest
any one visiting there a must see is the Bio Bay which is in walking distance from the resort, all you do is take the tram down to the lower level and walk around the back of the resort till you come onto the public park, you will find a few bars & restaurants, ask for Capt Suarze he is 1 of only 4 who are licensed to operate a small gas powered Charter boat into the Bay. He was Cheap,Cheap,Cheap and he has a new and safe boat that can carry about 12 passengers. He is an excellant guide and will make your trip a memorable one. much better than the paddle boats. Also check out the small Cafe's back there, the food is great and affordable.I recommend
a Rental Car to Visit the Rain Forest, lovely place. Overall our trip was a really great time and we plan on returning with the kids because we know they would love this Resort with the private Island only 20 minutes away but it seem like 5 minutes, Now that was a real treat, not to mention the 4 or 5 pools to choose from. A nice casino and several excellant restaurants. In life you get what you pay for..But this resort is a real bargin at least that is my opinon and I really feel sad for the people who gave this resort a bad review..I guess there is just no pleasing some people..

• Stayed: May 2004
6  Thank carlito0919
Reviewed May 12, 2004

My husband and I went to this resort in July 2002 and I have to say that we still talk about how horrible it was. Every time we hear people talking about going to Puerto Rico, we make it a point to tell them where NOT to go: The El Conquistador. The grounds are immense and if you happen to be located on the cliff side, below the main buildings, riding the funicular can become very taxing to a decent meal. The food is terribly overpriced - thought the steak house dinner was quite good quality. Although the main areas seem to have decent upkeep, a visit to any public restroom on the property will show you otherwise - a look behind the scenes. The worst part is having to wait in line and take a FERRY to the beach - which is overcrowded and not particularly clean, as the beach accepts day visits. We will never go back to this resort and recommend staying closer to San Juan where you enjoy the vibrant old town.

• Stayed: July 2002
3  Thank jatallah
Reviewed May 8, 2004

Reading the reviews before our trip was very confusing, they were so opposite. After staying at the resort my husband and I have this conclusion. The hotel is very poorly managed. Most of the problems are procedural with improperly trained staff. It disguises itself as a high end resort (which it could be). But it really is a high priced mid range hotel. The driver of the shuttle was very welcoming but after a 1 hour drive you do not want to wait in a check in line that was about 45 minutes even with only 6-8 people in line and 4 people on staff behind the front desk. Then you have to go back to the shuttle get a bellman and then you get to go to your room. No high end Resort checks in this way . Someone should be waiting with your room assignment, they have all the flight and arrival information, you should not have to worry about you luggage again because it is brought directly to your room.
The furniture on the balcony is shipped and with more paint flakes everyday. The bathroom had 12 inch holes cut in the ceiling. And the hallways smelled like glue.
The maid service was excellent. The restaurant staff is not, and the food taste like your normal side of the highway rest stop. Even the 'nice' restaurants.
Not once during our stay did staff answer phone calls not even at the Golden Door Spa.
The funicular ride to the Marina is anything but fun. It is slow and one was constantly out of service. The staff would also hold elevators and the funicular so they could load carts and other maintenance equipment. These are not the signs of a high end hotel.
Palomino Island is beautiful and we swam out to another small island just off shore. It was very relaxing. Tried to sit at the pool one day but only the upper pool was open and all the chairs were taken. The hot tubs were more like plunge pools.
At check out our bill was overcharged by about 300.00 dollars and everyone else in line had the same problem. Heard mostly the same complaints from the other guests. Then had to argue for a good 15-20 minutes to get some of the charges corrected. Then the front desk agent would speak Spanish to agent next to them and you can imagine what was said. So no express check out here.
If you are used to staying at luxury resorts this will not be the place for you. If you can swallow the high prices and with economy reults I guess this would be an okay place for you to go.

4  Thank SeattleTravelor