“Wyndham El Conquistidor” 5 of 5 bubbles

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
“Wyndham El Conquistidor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2004

The resort was beautiful, the staff was attentive, the weather was wonderful. The rooms were great, large and clean with a great view and wonderful maid service.
We rented a car. The trip from the airport is $60.00 roundtrip per person. The trip to the rain forest is 49.00 per person, the trip into San Juan is $70.00 per person. The car rental thru dollar rental was 295.00 with unlimited mileage. There is a parking fee of $10.00 per day. The car allowed us to eat some of our meals away from the resort at a great savings.
Most of our meals at the resort cost arround 10-15$/person. The more expensive rest. like Isabellas and othello was approx 20-30$/entree (but the food was very good.
The beach was great, but beach shoes are a must, and pack your own float toys etc..there is a charge for use of these.
There are so many pools and areas to explore, you will not be bored.
The casino is so so, but we are not gamblers. The had a wonderful magic show while we were there.
We would go back in a heartbeat!!!
Join the Wyndham by request, you can do it at the Wyndham site at it does give you some perks!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,563)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2004

This was an absolutely beautiful hotel, and was filled with beautiful forest noises at night. The rooms were average, but clean and we had a great ocean view. Try the Wyndham Special drink--yum. We went in May and it was not crowded. My Wyndham by request snack was not exactly what I ordered, but the fruit was nice and appreciated. The biggest piece of advice I would have is to check any reservation at the Golden Door Spa three of four times to be sure they have it. Pretty much every woman that was there had their reservation messed up. Once you get past that, the experience at the spa is phenomenal. Ladies, ask for Javier for your massage. My girlfriend had him, and she said afterwards: "I'm not sure, but I think we are engaged now!" Nothing inappropriate, just a handsome guy who gives thorough massages! Service in the restaurants was slow, but you are in Puerto Rico on vacation--who cares when you have the most incredible view ever. The grounds of the El Conquistador are the most beautiful of any hotel I have seen. Staff were friendly; maid service was fine.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2004

If you want to be away from the city life, this is the place to go. If you want to get to know Puerto Rico you need to RENT a car to get out of the resort and be willing to drive 45 mnts to San Juan or 2 hours to Ponce, the two nearest big cities. Both beautiful, worth visiting and not a difficult drive. Do some research.I think they should at least have a shuttle that gets you to and from town. (Fajardo or Luquillo beach) In case that you need to make purchases, such as pharmacy or the sort. Instead what they have is ferry trips to Palomillo and Culebra beach.The other problem is that they do not serve any food from the island, I found this was lacking in courtesy towards the culture and to the visitor.There is a nearby beach called Luquillo that offers traditional food in what they call "kioskos" (stands). The food is safe (we ate it and had no problem with it) .Also in Luquillo there is a small restaurant we found called Caribbean (----------------------, it only opens after 5 pm, but its very, very clean & the food (Mofongo w/Lobster) was superb. Call first.Do some research in the hotel's literature about the native food.Other than that the resort is excellent in other ways and if you want to be isolated the beauty and the weather are like paradise.Note about the people: Puerto Ricans are known to be very warm, nice and smooth, unless that you rub them the wrong way. So don't have an attitude & they will pretty much try to accomodate your needs.

Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2004

Wife & I went to the El Conquistador April 23,2004 & stayed 5 nights. We had a great time and we both
felt it was well worth the money. We have stayed at other resorts in Cancun, Dominican Republic,
Bahamas.. and we felt this resort was beautiful.
The staff were polite and very helpful, we suggest
any one visiting there a must see is the Bio Bay which is in walking distance from the resort, all you do is take the tram down to the lower level and walk around the back of the resort till you come onto the public park, you will find a few bars & restaurants, ask for Capt Suarze he is 1 of only 4 who are licensed to operate a small gas powered Charter boat into the Bay. He was Cheap,Cheap,Cheap and he has a new and safe boat that can carry about 12 passengers. He is an excellant guide and will make your trip a memorable one. much better than the paddle boats. Also check out the small Cafe's back there, the food is great and affordable.I recommend
a Rental Car to Visit the Rain Forest, lovely place. Overall our trip was a really great time and we plan on returning with the kids because we know they would love this Resort with the private Island only 20 minutes away but it seem like 5 minutes, Now that was a real treat, not to mention the 4 or 5 pools to choose from. A nice casino and several excellant restaurants. In life you get what you pay for..But this resort is a real bargin at least that is my opinon and I really feel sad for the people who gave this resort a bad review..I guess there is just no pleasing some people..

• Stayed May 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank carlito0919
north carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2004

My husband and I went to this resort in July 2002 and I have to say that we still talk about how horrible it was. Every time we hear people talking about going to Puerto Rico, we make it a point to tell them where NOT to go: The El Conquistador. The grounds are immense and if you happen to be located on the cliff side, below the main buildings, riding the funicular can become very taxing to a decent meal. The food is terribly overpriced - thought the steak house dinner was quite good quality. Although the main areas seem to have decent upkeep, a visit to any public restroom on the property will show you otherwise - a look behind the scenes. The worst part is having to wait in line and take a FERRY to the beach - which is overcrowded and not particularly clean, as the beach accepts day visits. We will never go back to this resort and recommend staying closer to San Juan where you enjoy the vibrant old town.

• Stayed July 2002
3 Thank jatallah
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2004

Reading the reviews before our trip was very confusing, they were so opposite. After staying at the resort my husband and I have this conclusion. The hotel is very poorly managed. Most of the problems are procedural with improperly trained staff. It disguises itself as a high end resort (which it could be). But it really is a high priced mid range hotel. The driver of the shuttle was very welcoming but after a 1 hour drive you do not want to wait in a check in line that was about 45 minutes even with only 6-8 people in line and 4 people on staff behind the front desk. Then you have to go back to the shuttle get a bellman and then you get to go to your room. No high end Resort checks in this way . Someone should be waiting with your room assignment, they have all the flight and arrival information, you should not have to worry about you luggage again because it is brought directly to your room.
The furniture on the balcony is shipped and with more paint flakes everyday. The bathroom had 12 inch holes cut in the ceiling. And the hallways smelled like glue.
The maid service was excellent. The restaurant staff is not, and the food taste like your normal side of the highway rest stop. Even the 'nice' restaurants.
Not once during our stay did staff answer phone calls not even at the Golden Door Spa.
The funicular ride to the Marina is anything but fun. It is slow and one was constantly out of service. The staff would also hold elevators and the funicular so they could load carts and other maintenance equipment. These are not the signs of a high end hotel.
Palomino Island is beautiful and we swam out to another small island just off shore. It was very relaxing. Tried to sit at the pool one day but only the upper pool was open and all the chairs were taken. The hot tubs were more like plunge pools.
At check out our bill was overcharged by about 300.00 dollars and everyone else in line had the same problem. Heard mostly the same complaints from the other guests. Then had to argue for a good 15-20 minutes to get some of the charges corrected. Then the front desk agent would speak Spanish to agent next to them and you can imagine what was said. So no express check out here.
If you are used to staying at luxury resorts this will not be the place for you. If you can swallow the high prices and with economy reults I guess this would be an okay place for you to go.

4 Thank SeattleTravelor
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2004

DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE STAYING AT THIS HOTEL

I received what I felt was extremely poor service during my stay and the El Conquistador and felt I should write and inform those who are contemplating spending time and money at this Hotel. There are many other hotels to choose from in the Caribbean and I suggest you pass on the El Conquistador for the following reasons:

1. Antiquated Moldy Rooms and Dilapidated Common Areas

Our room was not ready until after 6 p.m. and when we entered, the room was completed in bloom with mold and furniture, fabrics that had seen better days. The bed was tantamount to a park bench and after being subjected to constant mold spore blasts by the A/C system, my wife and I began feeling nauseous and sick. If you are hell-bent on staying at this hotel, my suggestion is trying the new La Casita Section which boasts a five star rating as opposed to the primary hotel which is four stars. This is information that I could have used prior to my depressing visit. Furthermore, the pictures of the hotel are breathtaking but in reality the hotel is in need of a great deal of maintenance, restoration and cleaning. We were very disappointed with what we were sold vis-à-vis the reality of the hotel’s physical condition.

2. Exceedingly overpriced and unpalatable food

The El Conquistador is home to the ten dollar hot dog and fourteen dollar cheeseburger—these are usually two low cost items that help demonstrate the overall prices at the hotel; almost like comparing the prices of the McDonald’s Big Mac to gauge inflation in countries around the world. Okay, you say the writer is being cheap however, having actually eaten real ten dollar hot dogs and real fourteen dollar cheeseburgers at finer hotels around the world, please make no mistake and do not be confused in any way, this low-grade dog food is not worth the money. In fact, I would price the overall food experience at one-quarter of its cost that’s if you did not experience the food poisoning as I did over a fish dish at the self-acclaimed French Restaurant--Le Bistro.

The last morning of my stay while I sat eating breakfast, I could not help but becoming sickened with the birds flying above dropping excrement throughout the dinning room and upon my table (folks—this was inside). Roaches were also widely present in and around the buffet line. The tables, chairs and floor were coated with bird excrement.

Again, should you be hell-bent on staying at this hotel, walk off-property by the marina area and visit a local restaurant where you will find a good fish restaurant with superior food at a quarter of the price. If you do not have the opportunity to go off-site, I understand second hand that the Italian restaurant may be reasonably decent but could make not promise about the cleanliness of the kitchen. For two people, you should plan to spend an average of $50 on breakfast, $50-$60 for lunch and not less than $100.00 (without wine) for dinner unless you eat in the snack bar. I never mind spending money on good food, but unfortunately the food at the El Conquistador was overpriced commensurate with its overall poor quality.

3. Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera.

The El Conquistador holds itself out as a four and five star resort but from my perspective, I would rate the El Conquistador 1 to 3.5 star depending on the service area notwithstanding Golf which I did not experience during my stay. In short, travelers beware before committing a stay at this hotel. Make sure you do your home work to ensure lackluster service, low-grade and overpriced food and second-rate accommodations does not mitigate your vacation enjoyment. Unfortunately for us, we bought into the embellished pictures and sleek marking material without reading the reviews. I should have known better than to stay at the El Conquistador when telephoned the night before to confirm our room and was disconnected a number of times before I was told in a curt way that rooms could not be reserved in advance.

We wasted a great deal of time and money being uncomfortable and left dissatisfied with every meal or request we made of the hotel. We wish you better luck

• Stayed April 2004
4 Thank JamesDeloughy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
Caribe Hilton San Juan