Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“The worst expirience I ever had in my life”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed December 19, 2013

If you want to ruin your vacation, you could go there!!!!

First of all, our room was completely wet and had extremely bad smell.
Money were stolen from my valet while I was on the beach. Despite the fact I contacted security department and open the case, nothing was done on the hotel side.
The best part of it - my credit card was overcharged by hotel after I did express checkout and I still have difficulties with fraud department.
So, think one million times if you want to have the same "wonderful" time during your stay.

Room Tip: Never go there
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank VN Z
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

I am extremely sorry for the horrible experience that you had during your last stay. We would like to discuss this further with you ASAP. Please reach out to Manny Melendez at mmelendez2@luxuryresorts.com. He will be happy to review your experience with you. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and are hopeful to hear from you soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My siser and I visited this property again last week (our 3rd or 4th stay over a period of a few years as we just love the location of this property), and were once again awed. We were upgraded to an oceanfront room, although this time it was to a room on the 1st floor in the Las Brisas wing above the covered walkway along the shops. Still quiet, and very nice with a great balcony and views. Palomino Island was its usual incredible self, although the water was not at all calm so we didn't snorkel. I'm always impressed by the clean white sand beaches, ample (and comfortable) beach recliners, towel serice, etc. Part of the reason we enjoy this hotel and the property is because we use it for R&R....we leave the property typically only for dinner at local restaurants. We don't use it as a base to visit old San Juan, El Yungue, etc.
The one change that I noticed was that there is no longer a casino, and the game room that has replaced the casino is rather lame.
Everyone who works for the hotel seems to generally enjoy their job and interacting with customers.
If there is any complaint about the hotel it is the charge for self-parking, particularly as there are "issues" are others have enumerated related to the parking area itself and the distance from the hotel. Personally, I enjoyed the walk but did find it strange that so many tiers seemed to be empty the first night, and all tiers were packed the 2nd night due to weddings, meetings, etc.
I hope to return (soon!)

1  Thank ChicagoJanice

We are so happy to hear about our repeat customers having similar experiences to the ones they enjoyed the first time they visited. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we really appreciate the feedback and are hopeful that once again you'll be back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is not an ultra-luxurious resort, but it's very nice and very accommodating to kids. It's in a beautiful setting, and the staff is extremely friendly. We were there during a week when crowds were light, because it was right before the holiday break in the U.S. The resort is so big that it might get obnoxiously crowded at times, but that was far from our experience. The pools and the island had more open lounge chairs than reserved ones, and we never had to wait for a table at dinner or a game in the lounge area. We would recommend this place to anyone with kids, or to golfers. Adventurous travelers, less so.

1  Thank Brian B

We truly appreciate your review of the resort, and we could not agree more. Te resort is a perfect place for families with our Scout About Adventure, Coqui Water Park, and the Ultra Lounge as just a few of the options for families to enjoy. We are hopeful you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Staff is fantastic. They say they have WiFi but it only works in the corner of one room in a three bedroom villa, and then inconsistently. The whole resort is beautiful, but it seems to not know what it wants to be. They took out the casino that was there in the past and now have a weird kid's game room with an adult bar in the back. All of the adult activities like the Latin dances on weekends appear to be gone and the place is dead in the evenings except for a bunch of kids playing arcade games. Since Fajardo doesn't offer much to do at night , it seems for an adult group the better choice would be a resort closer to San Juan. And, if they are looking to attract families with kids, then they need to offer more than the weak water park at a ridiculous price. They also have a problem with TV reception, important when you have a lot of rain and no activities at the resort. They gave me a one time $150 refund because of this, but this wasn't much given the high prices here and the fact that over 8 days they still failed to fix it. I gave it a poor rating for everything, but I reiterate that the staff is terrific and try hard to meet your needs. They just don't get much to work with. Finally, I would say I have stayed at this resort five times in the past, the last time about seven years ago, and it has changed enough that I would likely not return.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

That tram from the main hotel to the marina could use some help.
Waiting for it was the only bummer about the whole place.

The nude beach on the other side of Palomino Island didn't have any area to actually swim. Nice in the AM shadowed in the PM.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello, and thank you for your review of the resort. Our funicular can be a challenge at times, but I can assure you that the funicular is constantly monitored and evaluated for efficiency and speed of service. We have reinvested literally millions of dollars into our special transportation option that gives a certain uniqueness to the resort. We hope you are able to come back and visit again very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We loved our stay at the Waldorf. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and there is so much do. The views are spectacular. I would highly recommend staying at this property.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was here on business, so I had little time to enjoy everything the hotel offered. This was a great experience overall. They have a great private island for their beach, and while a little inconvenient, it adds a level of luxury to the experience. I can't wait to come back for pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico