“Service that's exclusively Waldorf Astoria???? keep your valuables safe”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
“Service that's exclusively Waldorf Astoria???? keep your valuables safe”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts is rapidly growing in key destinations around the world. They claim in their website and boast about "our ability to offer our guests one-of-a-kind experiences with sophisticated, locally inspired surroundings with service that's exclusively Waldorf Astoria". Once you stay at El Conquistador you will wonder who are they kidding. The unfortunate story is a beautiful property but with really mediocre service, a property not well kept and a generally rude staff. For the second time in two years we had our personal property STOLEN: two years ago my wife's glasses at the water park and just today our two iPhones from our tote bag, which was hidden in a spot only frequented by employees. There are many rooms were you see more than five people staying, loud and obnoxious guests around the common areas. And from the main gate forward you keep encountering rude employees and poor service, despite their overpriced restaurants. When we filed our complaint for their stolen phones the hotel security was nice and polite, but you can tell they are not going to do anything, its just a formality. So if you want good service, Waldorf Astoria style, this is not the property for you. But if you dare to stay, keep your valuables safe.

Room Tip: If you stay at La Marina its good views but far from everything. Honestly, if you want a good room...
5 Thank ViajeroCriollo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,629)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We chose El Con because it offered a good balance of things for the kids to do (ie the Waterpark) and opportunities for mom and dad "alone" time (ie amazing food, cute bars). The hotel did not disappoint. After reading reviews, we made sure we had an ocean view room and stayed in the main hotel so we didn't have to deal with the funicular for everything we did. That said, we never waited more than 5-10 mins for a funicular. The ocean view is amazing and the room was clearly updated recently (modern decor, clean lines).

There revere a couple of things I thought could have been better: 1) more rapid cleanup of discarded glasses, cigarette butts, rain-soaked pool chairs, 2) one or two more family friendly or at least affordable restaurants, 3) faster lines at the front desk (there was always a line. I waited 40 minutes to check in).

That said, we would definitely go back here. The location is bar none offering amazing ocean views. Palomino Island is one of the prettiest beaches we've been to and we have been to quite a few! The kids didn't ever want to leave Coqui Waterpark and my husband and I had amazing date nights at the Strip House and Stingray Cafe. For you foodies, dining here is exquisite.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our family of 4 (including kids ages 9 and 6) just returned from our stay at the El Conquistador. The bottom line is that we would definitely stay there again.

Our room was in the Las Brisas building, ocean view, on the 2nd floor. The walls are thin and the first night (a Saturday night), we were kept awake by loud music coming from outside and in the lobby. However, after that night, all we heard were the coquí frogs and the occasional sounds of voices next door. The room was well maintained, beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious. There is free wi-fi in the rooms, a bonus that we only occasionally took advantage of.

Service in the hotel was excellent. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. There are amazing orchids in all the public spaces and three parrots in the lobby which provided great entertainment for the kids (and me!). The service is not quite Disney World level (e.g., there were areas of wet floor that could have been mopped, occasional discarded beer cans and glasses in the public spaces), but it was still pretty great. Housekeeping came late in the day (around 5pm), but with a phone call requesting earlier service, they accommodated us.

We ate in the casual cafe the first night and first breakfast -- incredibly overpriced and mediocre food. After that experience, we ate breakfasts in the cafe by the funicular (Sweet Heaven) and found it to be much, much better all around. We never ate at the high end restaurants, choosing instead to explore the surrounding Fajardo and eat at local restaurants (which we would do again). The pizza at the Cafe Bella Vista in the resort, however, was pretty good and made for a nice dinner one evening.

Palomino Island is a wonderful place to visit - take the funicular down to the marina, catch the water taxi across. Iguanas were everywhere and fun to watch. We visited the Coqui Water Park one afternoon, choosing to go for half-day since full day prices are silly. The kids LOVED it, and I'm pretty sure my husband did too. We'd do it again -- but only for the half-day price.

If you can, rent a car. It's the best option for exploring the area. From El Conquistador, we explored Fajardo, drove to El Yunque one day, and drove to Old San Juan another day. We were only there 5 nights and I wish we'd stayed at least a full week, but truthfully, a good 10-14 days might be just perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms at the marina and Las Olas are closest to the water park and to the Palomino Island ferry. Roo...
1 Thank GatorMommyDoc
ATL
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I were here for our 25th wedding Anniversary 4 years ago and we just could not wait to come back! We just returned from 8 incredible days at this wonderful Resort.

The property is extremely well maintained and the rooms and views were amazing. The breakfast buffet was a delight to wake up to, especially the head hostess Stacy's smiling face. She was extremely attentive to my family.

Palomino Island is my favorite place in the world to chill out and I must tell you that I am not a beach person that can lie around for hours, but this place lets me do just that.

There is a world class bartender there by the name of Tanya who made the trip memorable for my family. Especially my 19 tear old son and his friend who came with us. She treated us like family and kept an eye on the boys until the bar closed down. My son also told me that another bartender named Ryan was also great to them but I didn't get a chance to meet him.

The only sad thing about the resort is the lack of value found in the restaurants for dinner.

Other than that, the attention to detail overall is wonderful.

1 Thank CAPAtl
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed in four resorts in Puerto Rico on our recent trip there. As a first time visitor to PR, I wanted to see the whole island. El Conquistador Resort was my absolute favorite, hands down!

It started with the entrance into the Lobby, the scent called Green Bamboo and the beautiful surroundings will stay in my memory for a life time. Smells can bring you back to a place, I would love to get some of the Green Bamboo fragrance for my home.

The staff were all delightful. The resort has everything you need, food, fun, ocean, island, waterpark. It was a tropical paradise.

The isle of enchantment stole my heart. I hope to return to El Conquistador Resort in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anita G
PUERTO RICO
Reviewed June 26, 2013

El Conquistador is one of the best hotels in Puerto Rico. We have stayed at El Conquistador several times, but our best stay was at Las Casitas..(privately owned villas you can rent through the hotel desk).
I do not recommend the rooms in the Garden View area as are tired, and need some update. The service overall is good. The rooms are spacious and clean.
The highlights of this hotel are its private island "Palomino", which is beautiful, and the water park.. great for the kids! There is free transportation available to and from Palomino island all day long, however, an admission fee for the Coqui Water Park applies.
There are many restaurants on site, which serve excellent food, but a bit overpriced. If you are on a budget, you can also eat in the restaurants outside the hotel.
Hotel is about 40 minutes drive from San Juan, so if your main interest is to visit Old San Juan, El Condado, or Plaza las Americas, it would be better to stay in another area, or rent a car, as taxis are expensive.
This is a great hotel, it worth the stay. You will certainly enjoy its great facilities and amenities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ZADY/PR
Nashville, Tn.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife, kids and grandkids spent the second week of June, 2013, at El Conquistor Resort in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. Very nice place but sinfully overpriced. The food is average at best. Our best meals were eaten in Fajardo. I would say the food prices at El Conquistador are borderline criminal. We had two rooms down by the marina and they could use a facelift. I've stayed in a lot of resort hotels that had a lot nicer rooms for a lot less money. And good luck getting your rental car out of the hotel parking lot. You have to have a card every time you drive out, and by the time you get a card from the parking attendant at the hotel and walk or catch a ride to the rental car parking lot the card is expired. It's only valid for a few minutes. It's just amazing how their parking is so messed up. It's aweful.
P.S. I won't be going back to El Conquistador, and I definately won't recommend this property to anyone. At every turn during our week long stay someone had their hand out for money. Nothing is cheap. You can expect a lot of extra charges.

3 Thank DeanNashville_Tn_
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel. It is only through feedback like yours that we can address, correct and ensure all of our guests’ satisfaction. While we strive to provide our guests with an exceptional stay, I am sorry to hear from your review that you were disappointed with your recent stay. We do realize that you have a choice in where you stay and assure you that your feedback will be internally discussed to improve our offerings and services.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan