Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Where's the Waldorf”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have stayed in literally hundreds of different hotel rooms across many hotel chains. By far I prefer the Hilton group as their properties are generally well kept, good amenities and value for my $. I was really excited to stay at this resort as the Waldorf hotels are supposed to be cream of the crop. Well I this case, that cream has turned sour and moldy.

I agree with Manu of the others this resort has a couple things going for it.
1. The staff is great and most are eager to give you any help they can.
2. The views are amazing, especially if you get a ocean view room.

That is about it for the positives.
First thing I ran into is the check in. As I mentioned earlier I stay at a lot of Hilton properties so I was able to check in using the Hilton honors desk. I give the manager my name and he pulls up the reservation. My reservation is supposed to come with a guaranteed ocean view upgrade but I am informed that they do to have any available. I asked if they could fix the problem later in the week as this trip was for our wedding anniversary and he told me no the hotel was completely booked. I also asked him what would be done as I paid extra to get into the ocean view room that he does not have available. He tells me he will look into a 70ish motel 6 theme. We get up to the room and by gosh the room matches the hall ways. Faded, ripped, mildew carpets, old vinyl couch, dated tile bathroom complete with a broken shower head. Called that into maintenance but a week later we are leaving and I hill billy fixed it with a wash rag. At least with he wash rag in place it does not spray water out everywhere.

We tried to eat at a few Restraunts but we did not care for the food especially the high prices. After a couple bad experiences we ate exclusively at off property. The food in the area is amazing and not to be missed.
W
Overall I would suggest coming to the area but check out some of the less expensive accommodations and I think you would be much happier.
W

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bigredopie
Fel93, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for your candid review of your experience at our hotel. We are sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. We thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve on so that we may enhance our guests' experiences. We are happy to see that you found our team helpful throughout your stay.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The resort was a luxurious retreat in a tropical paradise with fantastic views of the ocean. The staff was very helpful. The food in some of the restaurants were very expensive but some of it was not very tasty.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are happy to see you and your family had an overall enjoyable stay with us. We appreciate your comments and look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I went to el conquistador for our 1 year anniversary. Upon arrival we asked for an upgrade and they gave us a beautiful king bed room with a balcony overlooking the pools and ocean. They also gave us a complimentary welcome drinks.The room was right next to the lobby which was very convenient. After our first day going out riding atvs we came back and there was a bottle of champagne and fruit and cheese waiting for us in our room. The waterpark was really fun and they have a ferry that takes you frequently to palomino island. The views everywhere are breath taking. The water is so blue. There are plenty of places to eat. There are alot of kids, especially at the waterpark. But it didn't really bother us. Also there wasn't much to do at night. Not any clubs or bars near the area. But most of the nights we were exhausted anyway from all the activities Also we left on the first ferry at 9am to palomino island sunday morning but there was noone at the activity desk till almost 11am. The snorkeling there wasn't that great, couldn't really see anything. And the snorkeling trip was booked for the next 2 days. It would have been better to book an outside company for snorkeling. The concierge didn't have a ton of reccomendations as to what to do. But other then that everything was great. I would come here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Late spring break trip with kids (6, 11,14) April 6-11. Cool place. Enjoyed the pool. Water park was good for all kids. Should be included in room rate, but is not. Nice beach, Unbelievable golf course with rolling hills - difficult. Older boys and dad had course to themselves from 3-7PM. Converted casino has foosball tables, pool tables, and such to keep kids busy at night, but other than that not too much to do. Ate in Fajardo all 4 night. Did not dine in hotel; just our desire to get off the property for a little bit each day. Rented car from San Juan airport. Easy ride to hotel. We did the El Yunque "tour" ourselves. Swam in waterfalls etc....safe and easy to navigate. Room easily accomodated all 5 of us. Plenty of room. Bathroom looks like prison, but hey everything else was great, so you just overlook this stuff. Would recommend this hotel for sure. 5 night was plenty of time here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EBPNewJersey
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was there with a group of 8 women for my sister's bachelorette, and I must say it was definitely the best choice! We had previously reserved rooms close together which were reserved with help from Tomacita at rooms control and they were available as requested. Day two of our stay was the most fun! We spent the morning in Yoga Class and Rumba Class with Rita (instructor) and by consensus this was the most exciting activity of the entire weekend! Thanks to Rita we did our workout, had fun, laughs and danced together. Now I will make sure that when I return to El conquistador I WILL take the class again, hopefully more than once during our next stay!
Palomino Island has a beautifully preserved beach with great service and it is perfect for snorkeling. Coqui water park was also fun, although it lacked available chairs for everyone.
Also went to do kayaking at the bio-luminescent bay nearby the hotel, for which the concierge lead us, and was also fun.
Overall, great experience. A definite upgrade from previous stays at this same hotel.

1  Thank Sae R
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location, location, location................The location of the El Conquistador was fantastic. However, the resort itself needs quite a bit of work. Everything else was just average or below average. The experience was not at all what I would have expected from a Waldorf Resort.

Positives:
Check in staff and bar staff were very pleasant.
The resort was very private and had great views.

Negatives:
The rooms were outdated and dirty.
The art on the walls in the room was moldy.
Housekeeping was inconsistent -
A cup of coffee in the room in the morning was a challenge every day. No cups, no coffee refill, etc.
We ate dinner at the on-site Italian restaurant - service was slow and food was poor. Molten chocolate cake was COLD - Filet was over cooked.
The funicular - the transportation (incline) from the upper resort to the lower resort was slow and out of service a few times.

I would not recommend the resort at their current rates until they invest in the property.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay, you want a room that faces the ocean - rooms facing the tennis courts receive...