Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Worst Waldorf I've ever been too.”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I am giving this hotel a 2 only because of its beautiful surrounding views. Peel the views away and you are left with a poorly run hotel that looks tired and has no customer service. From the second we got to the hotel we didn't feel welcome. The bellman were on there phones and every experience with them tended be a nuisance. The front desk lacks training and customer service. We asked where we could eat breakfast and they told us to go talk to the concierge for a recommendation. The front desk was not busy but the concierge was with the phones ringing off the hook goig unanswered and 3 ppl in front of us. the shuttle boat employees also spend way too much time with ear phones in and cell phones out and should focus more on driving the boat or making a guest smile. there were 20+ ppl
Waiting for the shuttle boat at 10:30am and were all just as surprised as we
Were when a piece of paper was posted about the every half hour sign to every hour. maybe the front desk could be informed that this is happening since they told us it runs daily every half hour. The food quality is the worst that I have ever seen from a Waldorf. Just for example BLT sandwich is made from turkey spam, 1 sliced white tomato and 1 piece of bacon. I didn't even know they made turkey spam until this hotel stay.
I was blown away by the amazing views and scenery around this hotel but utterly unimpressed by this hotel. My wife and I were very happy to check out.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Mbarib

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

4 star hotel with 1 star service. Front desk staff and operators are happy to rush you away or transfer you to somebody else and seem bothered when you speak to them. My wife and I both got sick after eating at the restaurants on this hotel. We watched our server pick something out of our glass of water and then serve it to us. Concierge desk employee was on eBay as we walked up to find out information about the area and hotel.
Truly unimpressive experience.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am from Atlanta, ga and I was celebrating my 25th Birthday away from home in Puerto Rico at the El Conquistador. My friend and I were so excited. Once we arrived at the hotel we were taken back by the beautiful landscape. (we had to take pictures) We were greeted by a bellmen that took care of our luggage while we checked in. He was great, even if he died laughing at all the pictures I was taking once exiting the cab. We were greeted by these two great front desk agents. The one that took extremely great care of us was Arecis Ayala. Her sweet personality and genuine kind spirit made it seem like i knew her for years. She made sure that my friend and I knew all the end and out of the hotel. I was so impressed on how efficient she was, before we knew it we were checked in and headed to our suite. The bartenders/ waiters at all the dinning restuarnts were excellent Fernando (lobby bar area),Joel, and Carlos ( at bollyhu). Upon checking out the Front Desk Manager Millie, made it easy for me to express my comments. I was so excited, i didn't even want to leave. I totally am making this an annuel trip from this point on and staying at the El Conquistador Resort!!!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Having been to this resort in 1994 when it was new and amazing, I had high expectations which were unfortunately not met. The bight spot was the staff, without exception very warm, knowledgable, helpful. The worst part was the food! Really terrible from beginning to end.
Facility needs a major face-lift, please do something about all the birds flying around when you are trying to eat; they are not afraid at all and poop all over tables and chairs--ugh!!!!!
Spa very expensive and not at all worth it.
Views beautiful, staff at pools wonderful, Bio-bay amazing.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friend and I were looking forward to our first trip to PR and the stay on a Waldorf property. Check in was quick and we were in our rooms within 20 mins from arrival. While the room we had was spacious and had a great view of the marina from the balcony, the room was the basics only... nothing flashy.

Restaurants we tried on site were mediocre at best, service was below average and options were way overpriced for the quality. After our first dinner on-site, we realized off premises was the only way to go and ate the remainder of our meals at local Fajardo spots. i would recommend La Estacion and Las Vistas Cafe!!

Took the ferry to private island, which was the best part of the entire property (i do not golf, that course looked nice too). The water is crystal clear and there are activities for all: snorkeling, sailing, horseback riding... and rum :-)

I look forward to coming back to PR in the future, but would not return to this property unfortunately.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The service at the restaurants was extremely slow except at the Stingray and Strip House. The service there was excellent. However, the service at the Bella Vista, Cafe' Caribe, and Iguana's on Palomino island was extremely slow. For example it took 30 minutes to get a drink at Iguana's; there were several tables around me that had to flag down the server to obtain service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very beautiful hotel!!! I recommend you visit! A bit pricey but you can get better deals during the summer. Great pool/slides, golf, and it has a private island!!! On site restaurants are excellent. Loved the Strip House. Doesn't have a Casino but there is plenty to do regardless. Only 50 mins from the San Juan airport. Friendly staff too...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico