7,765 results
All reviewsprivate islandpalomino islandwater parkla marinapuerto ricomarina areachopssplash barferry ridehorseback ridingcable carrented a carwater shoeswalk in closetcafe caribeocean viewlas casitas
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friend and I were looking forward to our first trip to PR and the stay on a Waldorf property. Check in was quick and we were in our rooms within 20 mins from arrival. While the room we had was spacious and had a great view of the marina from the balcony, the room was the basics only... nothing flashy.

Restaurants we tried on site were mediocre at best, service was below average and options were way overpriced for the quality. After our first dinner on-site, we realized off premises was the only way to go and ate the remainder of our meals at local Fajardo spots. i would recommend La Estacion and Las Vistas Cafe!!

Took the ferry to private island, which was the best part of the entire property (i do not golf, that course looked nice too). The water is crystal clear and there are activities for all: snorkeling, sailing, horseback riding... and rum :-)

I look forward to coming back to PR in the future, but would not return to this property unfortunately.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The service at the restaurants was extremely slow except at the Stingray and Strip House. The service there was excellent. However, the service at the Bella Vista, Cafe' Caribe, and Iguana's on Palomino island was extremely slow. For example it took 30 minutes to get a drink at Iguana's; there were several tables around me that had to flag down the server to obtain service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very beautiful hotel!!! I recommend you visit! A bit pricey but you can get better deals during the summer. Great pool/slides, golf, and it has a private island!!! On site restaurants are excellent. Loved the Strip House. Doesn't have a Casino but there is plenty to do regardless. Only 50 mins from the San Juan airport. Friendly staff too...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great hotel for a trip with family or friends to Fajardo. The hotel's private island Palomino is an absolute blast, complete with plenty of towels and chairs, private coves, and outdoor sports and water activities. The catamaran ride to the island is fun but not for those who get sea sick easily! There are lots of pools, but when its windy debris from nearby flowers and plants tends to get into the pool. Nearby is El Yunque, the Bio Bay, and several great authentic restaurants. There's also conveniently a Walmart about 15 mins away which is good for stocking up on snacks and drinks. I would recommend renting a car and doing self-parking here if you are a tourist from out of PR. This will help you save a lot! Like others have mentioned, it's not the fanciest hotel or a quintessential "Waldorf"experience. However, that being said the staff is extremely friendly, the property is beautiful, and it reflects the laid back Latin culture well. Try getting an ocean view if you can! The beautiful views off the cliffs are unbeatable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Summary review after two visits: April 2012, April 2013

View: amazing, breathtaking and beautiful from all angles! 5 stars

Check in/registration- 1 star (ok that might be generous)- both years we experienced significant difficulty in getitng our room upon arrival. In 2012 it took us almost 2 hours to get our room, and this was after they asked us to go have lunch and come back around 4:30. The 2 hours ordeal started then. The amount of time the front desk spends 'behind the wall' is unbelievable!! It's like they go back there and disappear for 10-15 minutes at a time while you wait patiently for them to return. 2013: Similiar experience. Except this time we arrived at 10:30 pm they didn't have a room available! Seriously, they had our reservation noting the request for two queen beds as we are a family of 4. I'm pretty easy going but finally lost my cool after the extended trips to the 'secret room behind the wall' when they came back to tell us they had ONE room available for our family of 4 with a king size bed... but they could give us an air mattress for the night. For the rate I'm paying over Spring Break, that is not an acceptable option! Oh, and you did notice this is a WALDORF ASTORIA, right? I travel extensively for work staying in everything from Courtyards to St. Regis and Four Seasons and everything in between. This hotel is certainly no where near the standard of a Waldorf- in all categories- service, food quality, room furnishings and cleanliness, etc... If you know that and have a realistic expectation, then you may not be as frustrated as we were yet for the $$ you spend, you certainly expect much more.

Food- average at best, always expensive
Room- musty, didn't ever 'feel' clean, torn carpet, cracked tile, housekeeping didn't wipe down the bathroom sink or tub the entire week we were there

Here is my closing comment: When we left in 2012, I recommended this as a decent option, setting realistic expectations for friends I spoke to. Leaving in 2013, I went back and told those same people that I retract my recommendation based on our second visit. It's too expensive for below average service, average food and tired, dirty, outdated rooms.

I still give the hotel a 3 star overall because the property itself is nice. The island is great, the waterpark is fun (but you have to pay to get in each day which adds up quickly). Pools are nice. Majority of towels are worn and thread bare. We didn't use the spa or golf course either visit but both looked nice. Casino converted into game room is fun for the kids.... but you have to pay to use everything (air hockey tables, billards, etc....).

I'm writing Hilton as well to share my thoughts on why calling this resort a Waldorf Astoria is extremely misleading.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family