El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Nice”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went march 16th to 23rd with my wife, daughter and her friend. Got 2 adjacent rooms on the 4th floor. Booked through Apple Vacations. The rooms were clean and "beach modern". Cable tv was good. Wi-Fi in our room was good most of the time. Free Wi-Fi throughout the resort. Our rooms were near the golf proshop and spa. The rooms had a balcony with a view of the ocean, golf course, and the mountains. We had the setting sun which was very nice. The only bad thing was the walk to the main buildings. It was a bit far but didn't bother me because they have nice gardens between buildings. The rooms had nice comfortable beds, large bathroom and shower tub. They have a safe, refrigerator and coffee maker in the rooms. Ice was located near the elevator.
The pools are big and very nice. They provide large towels at the pool and at the beach/island.
The bars are located in the main buildings and around the pools, beach and marina.
We ate at two of the restaurants, sting ray and the strip house. You must make a reservation because they do fill up. The steaks at the strip house were very good and the sea food at the sting ray was very good. We also had lunch and breakfast in the other "grill" areas which were very good.
My general feelings about the food and drinks in the resort were that they were overpriced by 30% and that the portions of food and drinks were undersized by 30%. ($5 beer in a 10 oz can).

The private island was very nice. The 20 min boat ride is fun and refreshing. They leave about every 30 mins. They have 2 motorized catamarans. they give you towels at the beach and there are plenty of chairs to lounge in . They have a lunch grill on the island as well as two bars and bathrooms. They have nice beaches and things for kids to do like mini golf, volleyball ,kids tattoos, bean bag toss, and water sport rentals. They also have a basketball court and a steep walking path around the island. Bring sneakers if you are thinking of doing those things.
The resort is about 35-40 mins east of the airport. They have a bus but I choose a private van through Apple Vacations.(less waiting and more comfortable)
I would suggest renting a car for a day. They have Enterprise at the resort. Reserve it online for the best price plus you get free parking. Go to old San Juan, and on the way back stock up on some things for your room at the Walgreens or Wal-Mart near the resort. Also when you have your car, eat at la estacion (2 mins to the right of the resort) or passions 5 mins to the left.
If you use the hotel "taxi" they will charge you $15 each way plus tip for a 1 mile ride. Have the consuier make the reservations for you.
Make sure you go to the rainforest. We took the 1/2 day tour $50 from the hotel. We had a park ranger (see Frank's People on Facebook) and he took us off the path and showed us the smallest orchid in the world. Bring some food and drink. (40 min bus ride and 2 and 1/2 hour hike). Might be a little muddy.
Didn't play golf or tennis but both looked very nice.
All said I would go back again but we spent $10,000 for four people (2 rooms ) for a week ,air fare, food and drink from Philadelphia.

1 Thank larryt456

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,608)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
colorado
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in the sister property Las Casitas for Spring Break-but spent most of our time enjoying the amenities at El Conquistador. This is a great resort for families with kids.

Here are my tips.
1. If you don't rent a car-be prepared to stay on the resort. A short "cab ride" into Fajardo costs $20 one way or $40 round trip. Instead, save that money and eat dinner at one of the upscale restaurants. We ate at La Piccola (the Italian restaurant), Blossoms (the Chinese/Japanese restaurant) and Stingray (the seafood restaurant)-they were all excellent. Very pricey but excellent. Had a couple of meals at the the casual restaurants and they are equally exorbitantly priced and the food is very mediocre.

3. Be prepared to walk a lot. The scenery is beautiful but the resort is expansive with the water park and the private island. It was tough to get a golf cart or van ride (again very busy when we were there)

4. Go to the water park-if you have kids plan to go to the water park. Get there early. Also, go early to the private island. Chairs fill up. Granted, we were there over spring break/easter so it was REALLY crowded.

With the pools, the island, the water park, the movies, the fun search for the bands, there is more than enough to keep everyone in your group happy.

1 Thank Cofamily3
Arlington, VA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a big resort, it has something for everyone just be ready to walk and work to find what your looking for. I went with my parents, 5 teenagers and my husband. We should have booked a large suite but none available. Absurd what I paid for what we got. Did not even include breakfast. Everyone seemed to find something to do with their time. Put mom in the spa, dad liked the beach and teenagers liked water park. Think they would have liked beach if had better water sports, banana boat broken and have to be older to use jet skis. I do not have plans to go back to El Conquistador. Pro: Staff works very hard, and extremely friendly. I never encountered one rude employee.
1. Look for deals online, I paid way too much for my package through AAA.
2. Pay the extra to use gym in the spa, much nicer than work out room. Instructors first rate.
3. Rooms 1406, 1406, 1408 near door cleaning service uses and you will hear carts all day and into the night. If your bothered by noise these rooms will drive you nuts. ( pro they have balcony)
4. When you check in ask for robes to be sent to your room only provided upon request.
5. Book the kayak tour before you go it fills up fast! We never got in.
6. Beach can get busy, walk to end for privacy. They really need to monitor chair situation, resort packed when we were there and impossible to find chair while guest held chairs and no one ever seemed to show up to use.
7. Resort not known for fine dining, do the research and go off property, very safe around resort.

4 Thank Arlington30
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We vacationed here for spring break with two other families. I had stayed here twice before but in "Las Casitas". The location and views of this property is probably the best in Puerto Rico but other than that, Where do I begin ... We booked 2 double beds as we are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 kids), ocean front. I assumed it was in the Marina.When we arrived, they said they were completely sold out and all they had was a King bed room available. I was upset as this is not what we reserved but I was so tired and so were my girls that I was ready to settle and asked when would the roll away bed be delivered? They informed us that they do not use roll away beds. They only use air mattresses. That's when I lost my patience. I told the lady there was no way I had come all the way over here on vacation to put my daughters on a floor to sleep. It was Not acceptable!!!! I asked for a supervisor and he said pretty much the same thing. After wasting our time complaining for over 30 min,We had no choice but to make due with what they had. They said If they had a cancellation of a double room, then they would change our room. Our other friends get there later that night to the same situation w the rooms. They were both a family of 4 as well. we were all so upset that we had to get a drink to take the edge off and that's where we met "Fernando", the bartender at the Brisas bar. He was great! Funny, kind and really took our frustration away at least for a while. THe room they gave us that initail night was at Las Vistas, Which did not look like a "Waldorf Astoria" type of room at all. I really don't understand how a well recognized name as " Waldorf Astoria" could even think about this resort as representing them. As I said before, the location and views are beautiful, but the resort itself is run down. The quality of service is just ok. The quality of food at the restaurants could be so much better. They take forever to fulfill any minor request. The walls are all chipped, the floors cracked, the stained carpets, towels and sheets need to be thrown away & replaced immediately and the rooms renovated. THe pool area have fungi puddles all over. THe tram that takes you down to the marina and palomino island has an expired certificate and on the way down, the sight is like a hurricane just blew thru. THey desperately need an entire renovation of both the resort and the staff. Staff needs to be thoroughly trained in customer service. They did change our room to the Marina the next day to a double room but our friends were not as lucky. I won't return and will tell everyone I know to rethink if they consider this place for vacation. Consider The St. Regis in Rio Grande or maybe staying in San Juan. Also, eat outside of the hotel. Much better food, service for a much better price. Try Passion al Fogon or Estacion!

Room Tip: The Marina or Las Casitas
5 Thank Ericka G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location is absolutely great, the view from the Ocean View rooms (we stayed in the La Brisas wing) phenomenal and every morning a great start in the day. The rooms are good, nothing special but functional, large bathrooms and walk in closet. We stayed in one room with 2 adults and two kids - very doable. Rooms and carpets in the hallways need some updates, but overall still in ok shape - and don't forget, you are in the Carribean and it's about the location. The pool area and lobby are in great shape, there is a Starbucks for coffee in the morning (though there is a coffee maker in the room). The highlight is Palomino Island - the ferry takes 10min to get there and the place is just stunning - very nice beach, snorkeling is a must - you'll see a lot of fancy fish. All restaurants and shopping in the Resort are heavily overpriced and you are better off to get either taxi's or rental cars to drive out for dinner and getting fundamental supplies like water / drinks for the room. There is a Walmart and CVS as well as Walgreens close by and lots of great restaurants with better food and way better value for the buck. The Resort itself is also pretty expensive, but the location is just awesome and staff is friendly and helps whenever needed. Parking also is expensive, if there is no rain in the forecast avoid the valet parking and just walk five minutes from the self parking (they also shuttle you there if you ask). We loved our stay and most likely will come back.

Room Tip: La Brisas rooms are nice and the Ocean view is awesome.
1 Thank Cub66
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The grounds are gorgeous and staff is very friendly and attentive. Our rooms were quite large and perfect for families. The pools can be a bit over run with children, so if you are not travelling with kids, you may want to stay away from the main pool. Palomino Island was awesome, I thought it would be a drag to have to take a boat instead of walking down to the beach, but I think it kept the crowds down a bit. I wish there were a few more eating options - the places tended to have really long waits. The water park was okay - not as big as I thought it would be. Definately go after 1:30 when prices drop by half.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean view rooms were very large with great views
Poughquag, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family of 4 visited the resort for 2 nights during Easter week. We arrived very late (3am) and unexpectedly got an upgraded room with an ocean view (we reserved a garden/golf view room). The room was a bit outdated and had some cracked floor tiles, and peeling paint, but the worst was the high humidity in the room. It felt like the carpetting was damp, and even though the A/C was working and cooled the room, sleeping under the covers felt sticky. When we woke up the next day, we walked around and saw the beautiful grounds and scenic views. My son and I played some tennis, and the family took the funicular to the catamaran ride to the private island. My daughter and I went horseback riding and we swam and tanned by the beach. We had a great time on the island. We unfortunately did not have a chance to check out the pool or go to the water park, but our overall stay was above average. It would have been nicer if the room was in better condition.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan