Went march 16th to 23rd with my wife, daughter and her friend. Got 2 adjacent rooms on the 4th floor. Booked through Apple Vacations. The rooms were clean and "beach modern". Cable tv was good. Wi-Fi in our room was good most of the time. Free Wi-Fi throughout the resort. Our rooms were near the golf proshop and spa. The rooms had a balcony with a view of the ocean, golf course, and the mountains. We had the setting sun which was very nice. The only bad thing was the walk to the main buildings. It was a bit far but didn't bother me because they have nice gardens between buildings. The rooms had nice comfortable beds, large bathroom and shower tub. They have a safe, refrigerator and coffee maker in the rooms. Ice was located near the elevator.
The pools are big and very nice. They provide large towels at the pool and at the beach/island.
The bars are located in the main buildings and around the pools, beach and marina.
We ate at two of the restaurants, sting ray and the strip house. You must make a reservation because they do fill up. The steaks at the strip house were very good and the sea food at the sting ray was very good. We also had lunch and breakfast in the other "grill" areas which were very good.
My general feelings about the food and drinks in the resort were that they were overpriced by 30% and that the portions of food and drinks were undersized by 30%. ($5 beer in a 10 oz can).
The private island was very nice. The 20 min boat ride is fun and refreshing. They leave about every 30 mins. They have 2 motorized catamarans. they give you towels at the beach and there are plenty of chairs to lounge in . They have a lunch grill on the island as well as two bars and bathrooms. They have nice beaches and things for kids to do like mini golf, volleyball ,kids tattoos, bean bag toss, and water sport rentals. They also have a basketball court and a steep walking path around the island. Bring sneakers if you are thinking of doing those things.
The resort is about 35-40 mins east of the airport. They have a bus but I choose a private van through Apple Vacations.(less waiting and more comfortable)
I would suggest renting a car for a day. They have Enterprise at the resort. Reserve it online for the best price plus you get free parking. Go to old San Juan, and on the way back stock up on some things for your room at the Walgreens or Wal-Mart near the resort. Also when you have your car, eat at la estacion (2 mins to the right of the resort) or passions 5 mins to the left.
If you use the hotel "taxi" they will charge you $15 each way plus tip for a 1 mile ride. Have the consuier make the reservations for you.
Make sure you go to the rainforest. We took the 1/2 day tour $50 from the hotel. We had a park ranger (see Frank's People on Facebook) and he took us off the path and showed us the smallest orchid in the world. Bring some food and drink. (40 min bus ride and 2 and 1/2 hour hike). Might be a little muddy.
Didn't play golf or tennis but both looked very nice.
All said I would go back again but we spent $10,000 for four people (2 rooms ) for a week ,air fare, food and drink from Philadelphia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning oceanfront resort perched atop a cliff, overlooking Caribbean Sea on one side & Atlantic Ocean on the other. Check out the dramatic views, the private island, relaxing spa golf course or the water park - it's all part of this Caribbean paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- El Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo