“Not our cup of tea”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was looking forward to staying here because it got so much attention as a place to stay, but we were disappointed. The hotel tries to squeeze every dollar out of you, from the moment you arrive. Non valet parking costs $13 a day and is a hike from the hotel. Meals were overpriced and mediocre and service was low. The hotel itself is isolated and the surrounding area is nothing special. It is not a casual place. There is an expected dress code after 5, which we ignored. If you love golf and getting spa treatments and you are a man who wears dress shoes with shorts, this might be a good bet for you. But it was just not our cup of tea.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stelfox
There are newer reviews for El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at this hotel. Everything is on site. We started each day at Palamino Island and ended the day at Coqui Waterpark. We loved the island activities and especially enjoyed seeing all of the iguanas and lizards on the island. My son also loved gathering coral. The water park is small enough that you can position your chair to see most of the park and keep an eye on your kids. The rooms are huge with high ceilings. We had two connecting rooms which felt more like a small apartment. Bathroom could use an update. Next time we go, I'll bring a suitcase for beach gear and snacks and rent a car for a day or 2. Our flight was in the evening, so we brought our baggage to the airport early and took a cab to Old San Juan. The castles were gorgeous and the buildings reminded me of my recent visit to Europe. Overall, we had a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank staciamiele
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I loved this resort. I read the reviews prior to our trip and was worried about the negative comments. Needless to say the vast majority were very wrong. The staff was beyond helpful and polite. All the concierge staff we spoke with were very nice, helpful and knowledgeable. When we arrived at the airport we were greeted by the shuttle service and boarded a clean and comfortable bus. We were offered complimentary drinks with rum. Nice touch. The driver was very good. We checked in easily and our bags were taken to our room. Our room was upgraded to ocean view and well worth it. The room was clean and comfortable and we slept like babies. The view was breathtaking. If I had any complaint it was about the restaurants. Expensive but expected. We had breakfast at Cafe Caribe and it was terrible. Food was cold, tasteless and our coffee cup was not refilled unless I got up to look for our waiter. Rent a car and take in the sites and restaurants off property. Tours from site are expensive and you'll be thankful with a rental car.There are also many fees charged. We were charged parking fees when we had parking taken care of through Enterprise. Thank goodness my wife has a good eye and caught it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3518. View of Lago Grande and Las Croabas and Palomino Island at sunrise! In the e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David G
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love this hotel. As soon as you walk through the indoor/outdoor entrance and see the magnificent view of the Caribbean from atop the mountain, you're hooked.
Palomino Island is absolutely beautiful. Be sure to take the hiking trails along the tops of the hills for an even better view of the island.
Yes- beware- it is expensive; especially in their restaurants.

Room Tip: You MUST get an Ocean View room. Why spend the money to come here if you don't enjoy their great...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Needs updating. Bed/bedding really uncomfortable, stained sofa. Beautiful piece of real estate, but this is not a luxury hotel. Noise from adjacent rooms was enough to wake us up nightly in the early morning hours. The staff at reception was welcoming and patient, but the concierge service was very uneven. At different times we would get different levels of help. Food at the Sting Ray was the best and lunch on the island beach was great. Starbucks was the winner in the breakfast department, lovely staff and the usual quality. We would try the Ritz for a hotel or maybe a smaller bed and breakfast for the Puerto Rican experience. Also once you are at the hotel, the cab fare to anywhere begins at $40 round trip, no matter if it is only a couple of miles. There is no hotel transportation to the local area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am not a big fan of packaged tourism. I am glad that many are. It keeps wandering tourists who haven't done their research away from the places I like to visit. Now that you know where I am coming from you will understand some of my hesitation with this property.
I found the grounds to be beautiful. Totally created to be a nice resort. If you never left the resort you could have a great vacation if that is your thing. Plenty to do and they even have their own private island (which I never visited). We got this room on Priceline for a great price so we grabbed it. I would never choose this place myself so it was a nice surprise. There is a charge for parking and it is a bit of a drive to the hotel from the gate. If you intend to leave the grounds you will need a car. Plenty of restaurants on site. Rooms are basic and clean. I got hit with a $24 resort charge on check out also.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently specnt 4 nights here for a company sponsored event. Not what you would expect from a Waldorf Astoria branded property. The grounds and scenery are aawesome. The private island and beach are fantastic. The rooms an dinterior are a bit dated and definately in need of renovation. The bathrooms were old and in much need of repair and maintenance. The carpets and bedding were a bit dingy. The wait staff outside of the restaurants are very slow - drinks on the beach from order to delivery took over an hour. The restaurants are good but not fantastic. We ate in both the steakhouse and the Asian restaurant - service is nothing to write home about.

All in all I would not return. It is not horrible but nowhere near the standard I would expect from this brand.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rick_Brent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan