“Lovely property, lovely travel experience”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Minneapolis, MN
“Lovely property, lovely travel experience”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had the opportunity to spend a weekend recently at this resort. I found the service exceptional, the rooms spacious and very comfortable and the overall resort an experience. There were many families vacationing there and it is an ideal place for parents with children with the water park, pools and so much to do. One of the best experiences was taking the catamaran to Palomino Island - a lovely ride and awesome beach. As others mention, the food and beverages are expensive but no different than other resorts of a similar caliber. The services at the spa are outstanding and if you book a spa appointment, make sure you take advantage of all of the services associated with the spa. I would go back in a minute!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Amy G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,610)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Expensive but, worth it!! we loved it so much we returned asap with the kids. Save money and rent a car, 40 min. drive. Stop at Walmart or Kmart. (snacks/fruit/beer etc.) Use car to eat in town. Hotel transportation is $52-$74 per child & adult r/t. It is safe to go into town & only 10-15 min. ride. Rain Forrest was ahhhh...ok. Blossoms Chinese in the hotel was HORRIBLE!

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ & Get a room with an Ocean view. (La Brisas?) They offer AAA & Military di...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Charlton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last year in April, and it was so wonderful that I had to come back this year.
However, this year, I have been noticing some major needed improvements that I missed last year.
Basically, to sum it up, the hotel is falling apart. The rooms are dirty, (not dirty as in bugs on the floor or dirt, but first as in faded walls, dusty, and fingerprints on smooth surfaces such as pictures.) My door to my balcony won't close all the way, the shower head is moldy, the walls are smudged, and there are various small cracks in different parts of the room.
The whole place is VERY expensive. Not worth the money, I am sorry to say.
I have 2 children who came along with us. The hotel has an arcade room that they were just drawn too from the beginning. However, most, if not all of the arcade games DONT WORK! Meaning, some of them eat your money (you put two tokens into the machine, and it doesn't start) and most of them don't give you tickets if you win.
However, the location of the hotel is Absolutley gorgeous. Even if the hotel was non existent, the view of the hillside and the ocean would make everything worth-while. I stress to you- there are MANY different types of rooms. There are probably 5 to 6 different types such as a garden view, partial ocean view, full ocean view, marina, and private rooms way at the top of the hill. So everybody's experience will differ based apon the room you were given. (Also based on how much you payed per night).
I want to thank the staff of this hotel for being very friendly, and helpful. This hotel is very nice, however it really isn't worth the money because everything is outdated. I hope that the hotel management will update this in the near future, or suffer from negative reviews.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Dominick M
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that you found our hotel to beautiful. I do however understand that you thought that our property was somewhat dated and that it was showing signs of wear and tear. Our main priority is for our guests to leave our property with a good impression and I truly apologize that we could not deliver this for you. I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.
Upstate NY
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We absolutely loved everything about this resort - what a perect vacation. Here is a list of all the pros (there were no cons!).

Wonderful staff - everyone we came in contact with (even those on their way to work) greeted us warmly and asked if there was anything they could do for us.

Beautiful room - we stayed in an ocean view room in Las Brisas. Large room with a balcony with a vast ocean view. Large bathroom with excellent lighting which is a rarity these days. Large walk-in closet with a refrigerator. Plenty of seating, clean, comfortable bed.

Private island! - 15 minute boat ride to beautiful beach (kayak, wave runners), horseback riding, cafe, bars, lots of lounge chairs and shade. Water was pristine.

Beautiful grounds and walks, fantastic views, great pools, water park, marina.

Dining - many dining choices. We usually ate dinner at our favorite restaurant outside of the resort at La Estacion. We did eat breakfast at Starbucks every day - very reasonable prices and lunch at the beach which also had reasonable prices and good food.

We used valet parking which was always very prompt but could have used the self-park. It really is not that far away and can be easily walked.

Room Tip: Ocean view room in Las Brisas for couples
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our second visit to El Conquistador with no regrets. Our room was amazing on the forth floor, facing the ocean. The warm sun poured into our room every morning. The sound of the coqui's at night lulled us to a sound sleep. The pool is clean and another favorite is the beach at Palomino Island. The beach is gorgeous, even with hiking trails leading up top of the hill for more beautiful views. We wouldn't hesitate to return again!

Room Tip: Be prepared for a lot of "resort fees".
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at El Conquistador resort. While it is a beautiful resort, the comforter had mold on it and the "shuttle" service for the self park lot was essentially non-existent to the extent that the shuttle bus drivers literally took off from the lot eventhough they could see you parking your car in the lot. This happened at least 4 times during our stay. As for the mold, we had to complain twice before it was properly addressed.

Aside from those two customer service snafus, the hotel is magnificent.

Room Tip: Water view rooms offer the best ambiance. Court yard rooms are more dark and dreary due to lighting.
1 Thank Larry K
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel amenities were nice. The problem that I experienced was that a very nice room was booked on Hotwire and the room I ended up with was good but not the nicer one that I had booked. This occurred after the reception clerk phoned a manger and she was unaware that I could understand her Spanish even though I look 100% gringo. Various bogus reasons were offered, such as it's a good walk from the hotel; there are only 2 double beds and no rooms with a king bed; it's too quiet, but the lack of a king bed for my girlfriend and I was the clincher.

After taking a walk around the grounds later that day and after a very large group checked in, it was obvious that there were many vacancies in the Villas, as there were the following day.

I complained to the very same clerk who checked us in and was given another bs story, this time time with a little more 'tude.

So, would I recommend staying here? Yes, BUT make sure you get exactly what you book!

1 Thank JB10001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan