Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Hotel is amazing! Overlooks Bio Bay and has its own Private Island”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here prior to our cruise and was really impressed! We got a great deal through priceline express deals. There are a few negatives about the hotel but not many.

Cons: (because that's what everyone really wants to hear about)
The resort is quite large. There is self parking for $15 and it is quite a hike from the rooms. They do have a shuttle van that you can catch if it is there when you need it. Otherwise you can pay for valet. Once you get to the lobby... to get to our room (near the marina) you had to walk a ways to the elevator... then walk to the tram... then take the tram to our building... then walk a ways to our room. Each time you want to leave the resort you have to go through this process.

There are quite a few pools but each are freezing

Pros:
Rooms are large and clean. We had a room on the 4th floor near the marina and had valeted ceilings and a view of the ocean, marina, and water park (fee). Floors are all tile. Provided a portacrib for our little one. Beds were comfortable.

The large caged birds were a hit with my kids.

Staff was wonderful.

I would return here in a heartbeat!

3  Thank HawaiiStateOfMind

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I am writing for a family of 3. Husband (me), Wife, Daughter (3 yrs). We actually stayed on two occasions (wrapping around a cruise), so I have an experience on two different visits.

There is a lot to do at the resort. Palomino Island was the highlight of our stay. The boat ride out was very choppy, but that's to be expected. The water wasn't very calm.

The hotel has a water park which is nice. It has 3 water slides (One to use inter tube, one straight slide, and a curvy slide). There is a lazy river, and a general swimming area with a kid slide. The price for admission was $20 for adults, and there was a discount for children, but I can't recall how much of a discount it was. For what it was, I felt that it was highway robbery. We did find out that if you go after 4PM, it's only $5 per person. However the park closes at 5:30 so you don't get much time. It was fine for our 3 year old, though.

My biggest beef with the hotel is the food and its prices. I totally understand that when you visit a resort that is not "all inclusive" that you would be likely to pay more for food, but I would also expect that at a resort like this, the food would be prepared a little better than the burger joint around the corner from my house. Let me collaborate.

Hamburger - approximately $16. Comes with a side such as fries. The burger was so greasy that my bottom bun was soaked. I had the hamburger on 3 occasions and each and every time it was the same way. Came with 1 leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato, pickles, and one or two rings of onion. I don't know. I guess I just expected more for $16.

Ice Cream - $3.50 per scoop. Not bad. the scoops are actually pretty sizable. Two occasions, however, they were OUT OF VANILLA... two different times. How do you run out of Vanilla Ice Cream? Seriously. When we were perusing our options for a replacement, we wanted the mint chocolate chip one time, and the lady said, "You won't want that, it's runny" and continued to show us in the display that the ice cream was barely holding its form.

Jerk Chicken Wings - I think they were $12. They were VERY GOOD. I highly recommend.

Pizza from Cafe Calibre - The pizza was good but the cheese wasn't melted completely (two different occasions, same result). I recommend the pizza if you are feeding 2+ people.

Pizza from Cafe Bella Vista - LOVE the pizza. It's about a 12" pizza, thin and crispy crust. Kind of pricey ($15 for plain pepperoni), but it was good... happy to pay $15 for that all day long.

Shrimp Cocktail from the restaurant on the marina (not the stingray cafe). It was pretty good. I would recommend it.

Breakfast is $26 per person for an average buffet (liquid scrambled eggs, cooked frozen pancakes, fresh fruit (yay), cereal). I can't complain since I had free breakfast being a Diamond member, but if I wasn't, there's no way I'd pay $26 for it.

On to another subject. We took the Airport shuttle in, which is $37 per person each way. We did not take the shuttle back to the airport (remember - wrapping around a cruise), so we took the $100 taxi drive to the port. We were charged for both ways. We did not receive any statement in our room on the last day so I didn't catch it until after we got back from the cruise. The person at the desk did fix it for us without asking any questions, so I was pretty happy about that. There was another charge that needed to be refunded and was with no questions.

Overall, we LOVED the hotel. We were NOT impressed with the food/prices, though. When I return to Puerto Rico... I may reconsider staying at a different hotel because of this. The food quality just wasn't there, and everything was overpriced. We actually took a taxi off site ($20 each way) to Walgreens to get drinks and snacks... it was worth it.

2  Thank ufzc3mj8
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here many years ago, and it had stunning views and wonderful staff. At times the property was so large that you could get lost easy. The pools were beautiful, and I loved taking the boat off to the private island to lay on the beach. What a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank blondie277
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is our third time there ,at this multi-level, beautiful Resort, overlooking the Marina . The Service was great. We hired a friendly Taxi Driver who took us to the Rainforrest and Downtown San Juan. We enjoyed taking the free Boat over to the Palamino Island to snorkle and sun-bathe. Strolling through the well landscaped Grounds, listening to the little Tree Frogs at night, was a treat.The Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners in the Hotel where first-class.We would definetly go back again!
Our trips where about 8 years ago! We always went end of March. The Weather was great and warm!

Room Tip: We always choose rooms overlooking the Marina on the top Floors
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had an uneven visit at El Conquistador. My wife and I went with our two teenage sons (15, 17) and with our reservation they would not guarantee two queen/double beds when we checked in. After we complained the hotel clerk went to the back to talk with her supervisor and came back and said we could get an air mattress for the room. We then asked for a supervisor and she disappeared again (it was like the experience of buying a car...). The supervisor returned and said the hotel was pretty full but would look into. After having lunch she came by our table and gave us a room (Las Brisas) with two beds, so we were happy. When we went to the room, however, it wasn't clean! After complaining, they gave us a discount for the first night. All handled well and professional, just not a good start to the vacation. The room seemed outdated and need of a makeover. There was a small Zenith tv that didn't seem to fit the room and the remote didn't work (after reporting it they came pretty quickly to give us a new one). The carpet seemed old and dated. We also had a room that had an adjoining door to the room next door and there were a couple teenage girls that were loud periodically throughout the week. We complained to management after a few days but didn't see any change in their behavior.

The grounds are nice, the spa was clean and the staff professional. There are no deals to be found here...food, drink, excursions... but that is to be expected in a big resort like this. We liked Striphouse and Blossoms (teppanaki) and enjoyed going down the finicular to the Ballyhoo cafe at the marina (get there early and order the fresh guacamole). The restaurant off the lobby was mediocre. We did the BioBay kayaking at $45 and elected not to pay extra to have them drive us there. You just have to take the finicular down to the marina, go left through the white gate and walk 5 minutes to the nearby park/marina. Liked that they converted the casino into a game room. We spent an evening there playing pool, listening to music and having cocktails. Best meal we had was at a restaurant outside the resort at La'Estacion. It was a 5 minute cab drive (at $15 each way), One day we rented a car from Enterprise (which has an office at the resort) and drove into Old San Juan...pricey rental but worth getting off the grounds and experience the island.

Overall, I wish they would spend money to update the rooms and although we didn't stay at the Las Olas building, that area seemed way, way outdated.

4  Thank John F
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family and I spent a week at the Las Casitas Village at the El Conquistador Resort. We arrived on December 30th and stayed through January 5. All of our reservations (for dinner as well as other activities) were in place and we had no problems at all. The staff was great. My kids (17, 15, 10) were busy all the time and had a great time. As noted by many others, the food at the resort restaurants was not great, though we did have a very good meal at the Strip House on New Year's Eve. The breakfasts were decent but the service was slow or non-existent. The New Year's Eve fireworks and celebration were a blast...the hotel obviously was a magnet for the local area so it gave the place a lot of life. Some people complained that the Casino is no longer in place but that was not of any interest to us, so we didn't mind. All in all, this was a great trip to a beautiful location. I would definitely return.

1  Thank Garrett K
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I know this is long, but I wish I had gotten some of these tips ahead of time....This was our 2nd time in PR, but the first at El Con. There is so so much to do at the resort - pools, beach (complete w/ many activities, most of which are free!), water park, golf, tennis, game rooms, spa and million dollar views! Traveled with my family - myself, husband and 4 boys ages 11-20 and there was plenty for all of us to enjoy. The staff is overwhelmingly kind and helpful. However, the resort needs a serious facelift and the food needs a major upgrade. The pool and beach lounge chairs are old and pretty nasty looking as are the seats on the boat going to the beach on Palomino Island. As expected, the shops on the property are all pricey. If you have a car, or taxi driver who is willing to make the stop, shop at the Walmart on your way in to the resort and stock up on water, soda, snacks, maybe some lunch food, and even Bacardi ($10.27 a fifth when we were there), beer and wine. Overall, food at the resort is average and highly overpriced. Service, however, is very good and fast, and the salads were always fresh regardless of the restaurant at which we ate them. One reasonably priced place to grab breakfast or lunch is Sweet Heaven which is located just before you get onto the funicular to go down to the marina level. Huge freshly baked muffins for $2.95, egg, ham and cheese sandwich on large croissant or bagel for $5.95, Puerto Rican coffee from $1 - $3 depending on size, and lunch specials including sandwich, drink and chips for $8.99. Best (and possibly, only) bargain at the resort and all very tasty! A few tables to eat-in are available. Bella Vista just outside the lobby has a great Cubano sandwich and fantastic flat bread pizzas at reasonable prices. Monster-sized, and delicious, burgers at Ballyhoo Bar down at the marina. Avoid dinner at Caribe Cafe - way below average food and just a tired looking place. Also, the only place where the wait staff seemed highly indifferent. Breakfast specials were reasonably priced though, but we never ate breakfast there. We stayed in the main building just across from the lobby and received a full upgrade to adjoining oceanfront rooms without even asking. This was also surprising since I had named my own PRICE on a popular on LINE travel site so was expecting garden view. I essentially got the 2 oceanfront rooms for the price of one!! We also received a double-sized air mattress for our youngest at no charge. Bed and pillows were super, super comfy and plan on looking into the brands! Slept great! Carpeting is filthy though. Needs serious steam cleaning at minimum, or replacing. Mildew is everywhere in the bathrooms, including the closet which is located in there. No ventilation so that's probably why there's a mildew issue. Lots of dust and small bits of trash in corners and crevices and along the rooms' perimeters. Each room has a mini fridge, but if you want anything to stay cold, fill your ice bucket once a day and put it in there without the lid on. My husband and oldest son thoroughly enjoyed the golf course. It's challenging and a beauty too, with fantastic views! As for off property, we went to a restaurant called La Tasca Ole Lelolai twice. A gem! I will write a separate review for that. Lastly, do not miss the Bio Bay! Book ahead with one of the kayak tour companies or the boats (only 2 of those that go out and they only hold about 10 people each). If you don't book ahead, don't let the concierge at El Conquistador discourage you and put you on a wait list! After 2 days of trying that route, I took matters into my own hands and called directly at 3 in the afternoon to book a boat tour that night, our last night there. Only 4 of us went, so I may have gotten lucky, but we got to see this not-to-be-missed wonder. Truly awesome! If you have a car, the concierge will give you directions and it's very easy and quick to get to the marina. If not, take the funicular down to the resort's marina, walk through the gate (I was told by another guest that it's always open) to the left and keep walking until you get to the adjacent marina where all the kayaks and boats depart from. We did not go this time since we had been before, but El Yunque rainforest is a close drive away as well. Also not to be missed!

Room Tip: If not offered, ask for an upgrade to oceanview or oceanfront. Spectacular views!
6  Thank mpg64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico