7,767 results
All reviews private island palomino island water park la marina puerto rico marina area chops splash bar ferry ride horseback riding cable car rented a car water shoes walk in closet cafe caribe ocean view las casitas
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I just returned from a week with my family (kids 8 and 10) at the El Conquistador. On the positive side, the weather was amazing, my kids loved the waterpark, I loved the private beach, and our ultimate room in the Marina Village was perfect - beautiful view/area and very clean. Also the staff was very helpful with my son's food allergies. However, we began our vacation with a room in Las Olas (in the middle of the resort). As we were being walked to our room, we passed many desolate/vacant spaces that evidently had been a restaurant, game room, etc. These are now dirty/empty spaces. Then, the elevator to get to our room was filthy and had duck tape covering cracks in the mirror. There was no way that we were staying in this part of the resort. So, we called the front desk and they switched us to a room on the ground floor in the Marina Village which we LOVED. While I loved Marina Village (pretty views, outdoor dining, close to beach ferry), I found the rest of the resort to feel old and in desperate need of a facelift. Plus, the food was not great and overpriced. In summary, I was happy when we stayed in the Marina Village section of the resort and felt like I was at a luxurious place, however, not so much in the rest of the resort.

Room Tip: The rooms in Marina Village are newer, cleaner and have more of an island feel.
1  Thank tkollinsmith
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family recently returned to the El Con, about 4 years since our last visit (when it was owned by a different hotel chain). This is our 4th visit, and while some things are better (for example, the water park is great, although having to pay for it when you are staying at the hotel might seem a bit gauche), some things have clearly slipped. The hotel could use a good industrial scrub down - carpets in the hallways appear (in spots) to be worn, stained, dirty, and smell of mildew, and the exterior could use a power wash or coat of paint. There aren't nearly enough restaurant options (fewer now than in the past) - particularly at lunchtime, the options are limited and not very appealing. Some of the staff seems pretty uninformed about what's going on at the resort. Scheduled events like ping pong tournaments start very late, or not at all. Some activities that used to occur daily, and for free, now occur only sporadically and for a price. The daily morning hike at 7 am is no longer daily, and it now costs $10 plus tax ... to take a WALK on the property! Still, there is a lot to do at the El Con, the views are phenomenal, the rooms are comfortable if looking a wee bit shabby, the restaurant Stringray is a definite cut above (expensive, but excellent food and great service). And the Coqui Water Park really is very nice, although it's not the sort of huge, grand affair that the water park at the Atlantis boasts. The breakfast buffet is just okay. The spa treatments at The Golden Door are high quality.

Room Tip: The Las Brisas wing is nice - staying down at the Marina is also nice, but a bit removed from the main poolside activities and action.
1  Thank BrooklynWillow
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I just completed a four night stay at the El Conquistador on Hilton Honors points and could not have been more pleased with my experience. This is a HUGE resort - many restaurants, several pools, a private island and a water park. We were never bored!

I'll admit that I was a little nervous after reading many negative Trip Advisor reviews, but I'm frankly not sure what they are complaining about. Aside from some decks that could use a little power washing, I thought everything here was top-notch: lovely landscaping, modern rooms, great food and good service. We never waited for the funicular, found the beach on the private island lovely, and were given smiles and offers to help us everywhere we went. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My first time in PR and I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel could use some updating but it is, afterall, still a nice one. Very self sufficient with everything you need. Pricey on food and everything else, but not any different than any other resort unless you choose a lower end all inclusive resort.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently moved to San Juan and wanted to take my family to see another part of Puerto Rico. We spent just one night at El Conquistador and had a great time. First of all, the views of the ocean and surrounding islands from the top of the resort are amazing. We spent our first afternoon at Palomino Island. Nice beaches with volleyball nets and other games. We rented wave runners and had a great time. We ate casual on Palomino and back at the resort - where we had a nice room facing the ocean down by the marina.
The next morning we used the fitness center and relaxed at one of the many nice pools before heading off to the rainforest and back to San Juan. A quick trip but we will return again soon and take advantage of more the resort offers - including what looked like a challenging golf course with great views and hills on most holes.

2  Thank buzzdog11