7,767 results
All reviews private island palomino island water park la marina puerto rico marina area chops splash bar ferry ride horseback riding cable car rented a car water shoes walk in closet cafe caribe ocean view las casitas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have been staying at El Conquistador since the 1980's. I remember visiting the resort after its heyday, and it was neglected. We could only visualize what it must have been like during that time. I remember being impressed at its location, high up on a cliff. After a few years of abandonment, it made a comeback and we were happy to be able to afford the accommodations. The addition of Las Casitas were a welcoming bonus. It was a pleasure to visit the resort with my children, since my husbands family was originally from Fajardo. It was an exclusive and luxurious resort that offered a little bit of everything for everyone. The hotel has changed hands many times, and with each new owner the services have changed. Some were good and others not so good. I chose not to visit recently when I had some time off. The last few times that we visited, we found that the services and the upkeep of the hotel had diminished more and more. It saddens me to see such a lovely resort with so much potential, perched high on a beautiful cliff, with access to a beautiful private island become less then desirable to visit. I have traveled throughout the world and still cannot find a resort perched on a cliff with the most amazing views of the ocean and rainforest. Unfortunately, El Conquistador is no longer on my list of hotels to stay at. I am currently looking for hotels in Puerto Rico that can take me back to enjoying the atmosphere and amenities I once knew at El Conquistador. I hope that it reverts to what it once was. You'll have to remove the Water Park, put back the casino, include employees from other countries, have hotel & hospitality development courses for the staff, elevate the wages and refurbish the rooms and decor with an "Old World " charm. Good Luck.

Room Tip: We have stay in every section, to include las casitas in the 1st and 2nd phase. We liked the main hotel, upper floors, with a direct view of Palomino Island. Sometimes they will give you a room for handicap visitors. It's great because its larger then most rooms and you don't have to take the golf cart to the casino. Ooops! I forgot ,no more casino.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank D S
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just spent the holiday week at this hotel with my family. This hotel has a great location and many amenities, but is definitely in need of a rehab. We worked with a great concierge, Medalis Berberena Martinez. She helped get all of our activities and restaurants booked prior to arriving. We stayed in the “3” block of rooms. When booking tell them to put you facing the south side, we were facing the north and had to listen to music blasting from a park over a mile away until 3am. Food at the restaurants was mediocre at best, but had to pay five star rates. The staff was OK, but expected much more for this level of hotel. One of the nicest features is the supposedly private island (Palomino Island). Great beaches with lots of activities, but don’t forget your wallet. Will pay $$$ for food and activities. We did several activities away from the hotel that were great. ATV in the rain forest, Culebra Kayak, zip lining, and deep sea fishing which were all great. We highly recommend Puerto Rico, maybe wait to go to this hotel until after it has been updated.

Room Tip: Try to stay facing south, better view and quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This place should have never received four stars. Rooms are almost as good as motel rooms , and dirty with roaches . And flies in the restaurants. Restaurant food barely edible. You can eat better and more delicious Chinese food at ANY take out Chinese restaurant in NY than their upscale Asian restaurant, Blossoms. Nonexistent service. Had to ask for a glass of water three times at another one of their restaurants and still did not get it until we complained to the manager. Their so called "largest water park in puerto Rico "is nothing more than two slides and a lazy river with a couple of pools and they charge extra for it. Wouldn't go back again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank BahareShiraz
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our stay started out terrible so my first impression was that we should leave and find a different place to stay. We were told that we could not self park until we checked in. There were no valet attendants to help us, so we left the car in the "check-in" area while we attended to checking in. Check in took almost an hour! Meanwhile, a valet attendant came in and said that our car was being towed...and then gave me a snarky comment when I told him that we were told that we COULD NOT park until we checked in. Really? Fortunately, the car was not towed, but I don't think threatening the guests is a good way to start out a visit. How about helping us problem solve staff members??? Fortunately, things improved. The other staff members that we encountered were very helpful and pleasant. Food was OK - except I would skip the Chinese restaurant - that was our worst meal there. Breakfast buffet was good and has everything that you could possible want. Italian restaurant and Stingray cafe were very good, as well. Rooms were dated and could use some paint, but they were overall comfortable. Spa seemed nice, although we did not get any treatments. Work out room in the spa has pretty much everything you could want but some of the equipment is older. The best part of this property is the private island. We spent most of our time there just lounging on a chair away from the crowds - and the kids.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room. It was great, and I would recommend it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shochstein
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Booked the hotel on points as a loyal Hilton Customer. Stayed in a room in the "4" block. In summary, this bills itself as a 5-star resort, but quality is on par with what I would say is a 3.5 star resort. The upkeep has been extremely poor. Perhaps it was a 5 star in the 1980s. The Hilton should re-banner this property.

The good:
1. Landscaping is nice ...
2. Staff was pleasant
3. Private island accessible by boat

The bad:
1. Hallways, elevator, and most common areas are filthy (staircases smell of urine, lots of bugs in the light, walls are faded, tile floors cracked and full of mildew). Towel we received at the pool was covered in blood.
2. Food quality is poor, except a few "reservation only" restaurants which are very overpriced (e.g. $50 for a Chinese restaurant entree)
3. Extremely loud. Came during New Years and they had a live band in the courtyard which played well into the night at extreme volumes. There was NO warning ahead of time that sleep would not be an option. I get it, it's New Years, but a note would be great. Or free headphones.
4.Nickel and diming abounds. $16 to park for guests (despite that there is nothing in the area, clearly all folks parking are guests --- it's a hidden fee), have to pay for umbrellas or cabanas at the main pool area

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the pool as possible.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ctimpano