El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ocean Pearl(Luquillo)
  • Pool
Melia Coco Beach(Rio Grande)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
7,754 results
All reviewsprivate islandpalomino islandwater parkla marinapuerto ricomarina areachopssplash barferry ridehorseback ridingcable carrented a carwater shoeswalk in closetcafe caribeocean viewlas casitas
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We recently stayed here for 5 days for a conference and we had a wonderful time. This place was built in the late 1950's and has been upgraded continuously ever since. The landscape surrounding the hotel is very nice with great palms trees and lots of flowing shrubs. There are a couple of different pools to choose from and we chose the Marina Pool because our room was down in that area.
Our room was very nice with a great little patio overlooking the nicely maintained park down below and the sea on beyond. The bed was very comfortable and we slept late every day.
There are a few restaurants in the complex and we found the Strip House to be the best.
The service staff was very friendly and bent over backwards to help us whenever needed.
This is a great hotel for conventions, weddings and families.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just got back from a great weekend in Puerto Rico. Made the trip to check out El Conquistador for a possible wedding venue. I had seen reviews about unfriendly staff and service so was skeptical, and I was beyond blown away by the hospitality and friendliness of everyone! The staff was fantastic and completely made the whole experience! I am in the hospitality industry, so very critical of service, and big time kudos to the El Conquistador staff! You all were awesome. Anyone looking to plan a wedding, Yahaira Hernandez is amazing, and so helpful. Our room was fabulous, and looked right out over the ocean/resort/Palamino Island. The food on the resort exceeded my expectations as well, and prices were fair in my opinion. The best food in our opinion was at the big bar down by the marina. Great local Dorado(Mahi Mahi). My only complaint was that we couldn"t walk right out on the beach, you have to take the ferry to Palomino Island..which was beautiful, I think I just wanted to walk right out and have my feet in the sand. Overall, fantastic experience. Would definitely recommend ! Maybe try another month other than October? The resort felt a little empty..Thanks again El Conquistador..we had a fabulous time!

Room Tip: Try to get in Las Brisas wing...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keg14321
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week as part of our honeymoon. The setting for this hotel is gorgeous with the most beautiful grounds and amazing beaches. The hotel's private island beach is absolutely stunning. We hope to come here again as a couple but also to one day bring our children as we think that this would be a great place for families too. The rooms were comfortable with lovely views. We loved opening our balcony doors to here the coquis calling at night. Pools were very nice as well. We highly recommend renting a car in San Juan so that you can go off-site to restaurants and sight-seeing, as well as stock up on supplies at the Walmart in Fajardo. The resort restaurant and shop prices are high, but nothing out of the ordinary for a resort.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Congratulations on your recent wedding. We are happy to hear that you chose our beautiful resort to celebrate your special event. Thank you for your feedback and appreciate your comments. We feel the resort can meet all types of guests who are travelling for all purposes. Families, couples, business travellers, and meeting attendees will all find that the El Conquistador is a great place to celebrate their special event or get some rest and relaxation. Please come back and visit us again soon....

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Off-season, I was able to grab a $120 priceline deal for this hotel. Upon arrival, we were shocked to see how far the parking lot was to the main entrance. Even though this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, there was still a $15 parking fee. We got lost on the way to our room since the resort is huge and the numbering system for the rooms was a bit odd. Our 5th level room was numbered as 45XX. Aside from a medical devices conference at this resort, the place was pretty empty. We were excited to take advantage of the pools which we were told were open 24 hours upon arrival. Some pools were in fact not open at all. The ones that were, were 1 meter deep. Use of the towels was free, however the waterslide cost $20 per person. We went to a restaurant on the resort after our Bio Bay tour because most other places in the small town were closed. The bartender was friendly and made a good pizza. I'm grateful that the thin-crust pizza tasted good because that was the only option on the menu they were serving.

Our room was spacious and had a big bathroom as well as a balcony overlooking the ocean. On the white padded headboard of our bed, we noticed there were two goopy marks which we assume was semen.

If you are considering Fajardo because of the Bio Bay, its probably better to just take a day trip from San Juan. This Waldorf Astoria Resort does not in any way live up to the luxury of the Waldorf Astoria brand unless you consider a sparse shopping mall-like atmosphere filled with depressed, caged parrots and a Starbucks to be a location you want to spend your vacation at.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your feedback that you have provided. We are glad you chose our property during your stay in our area, and it is unfortunate that we did not deliver the service that ws expected. I apologize that you encountered unsatisfactory conditions at our pools and in your room. We have addressed the issues and reviewed your comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure the conditions you experienced are not repeated. We want to ensure that our guests are surrounded by inspirational environments and amenities during their stays. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you will find the singular Waldorf luxury experience you deserve.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay...

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I just spent 4 nights here and they were amazing. The staff was wonderful from the bellman, frontdesk, housekeeping, breakfast servers, Palomino Island workers, etc. They are were friendly! Every inch of the grounds of this resort is breathtaking. Tropical plants, flowers, fountains, colored tiles, and beautiful vistas surround. Once you are inside the resort you really won't want to leave. I stayed in Las Brisas ocean view room on the 5th floor and all I can say is waking up to that view makes you speechless. The breezes that constantly are enjoyed in that building on that floor are wonderful. I turned off the A/C and opened the large sliding doors wide open and slept in the open air every night. You'll feel like you are in a tropical rainforest each night once dusk hits and the night sounds come alive. You will be serenaded with the coqui, and a million other beautiful night sounds. You will forget about your job and day to day stresses. I highly recommend the breakfast buffet. I enjoyed it each day, especially becuase they have a lot of fruit available including papaya, mango, and grapefruit to name a few. Take the resort tram down to the Marina level. There are a few stores and this is where you will catch the resort ferry to Palomino Island. Palomino Island is beautiful but the resort managers have to get control of what is going on over there. When I was there, dozens of locals took their powerboats over to the island and anchored only feet from the most beautiful beach on the island (the beach to the left of the ferry dock). I understand that no one owns the water so the resort cannot stop boats from anchoring BUT they don't just anchor. They bring their coolers, chairs, and umbrellas up onto the beach and take up space that is supposed to be for registered guests only. El Con is advertising this as a PRIVATE island but unfortunately they are not enforcing it. The most disheartening part is that these locals are leaving huge amounts of trash behind. Bottles, plastic cups, paper, you name it they throw it down into the water and on the beach. When snorkeling you will see tons of Corona bottles all over the bottom. This is SAD! The island is beautiful and the resort needs to protect it and keep the environment as natural and pristine as possible. That being said, it is still beautiful and its great that it is included in your stay at this resort. There are lots of lounge chairs, umbrellas, towels, and beach bars to make it a great beach day. I did notice there were tons of Jellyfish in the water but this may just have been due to the time of year I was here. I swam and never got stung. John, the owner of the watersports on Palomino is excellent. He made my day perfect by taking me out to Palominito Island on a jet ski and later coming back to get me. The tiny island has a to die for beach and the swimming was the BEST! Thanks John! As far as the restaurants go...I do not recommend ordering room service. I did and it was TERRIBLE and very overpriced. The wood fire pizza that is served above the pool is delicious and resonably priced. Overall, this resort is PERFECT for a getaway from reality and I will definitely return as soon as possible. I only hope that someone from their management team reads this and takes my concerns about Palomino Island seriously.

Room Tip: Las Brisas Ocean View Deluxe
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank hobiecatsailor
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for all the valid feedback from your stay. We really appreciate you taking the time to deliver sucha thorough review of our beautiful resort. I can assure you that all key management personnel have reviewed your comments. We all love Palomino island with it's pristine beaches and breathtaking views. We are certainly aware of our duty to keep the island beautiful and clean for many years to come. We always strive to deliver an atmosphere of beautiful surroundings and conditions for our guests and we are sorry that you were disappointed during your last visit. We hope that you will be back soon to soak in all that you enjoyed during this trip once again.