“Great location - Great service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Hoboken, NJ
“Great location - Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2003

This is a beautiful resort. Do not be scared by other bad reviews, we just got back and had a great time. I am an extremely critical hotel guest, and they satisfied all of out requests. When checking in, ask for a room in the main hotel or the marina village. They are the best.
Restaurants are very good, but expensive. Expect to pay $30 for steak or $28 for fish. Pricing at all restaurants equals that of NY, LA, or Wash, DC. The pools are great, facility is clean and new, the island takes 20 min to get to, but is great. Snag a good room rate and go!
Look for a package that includes breakfast -- otherwise it will cost $25 a person per day for breakfast.

6 Thank SGY_Hoboken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,562)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2003

We were a little apprehensive after reading all the bad reviews on this hotel. We could not have been happier. We stayed here Aug 3-7th after having completed a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise. While all our cruise mates were rushing to the airport for their flights, we were aboard the shuttle to El Conquistador. It is an impressive piece of property with breathtaking views of the ocean. We loved the private beach at Palomino Island and did not mind the funicular or boat ride. In fact it was very relaxing. We stayed at La Vista Wing with a view of the golf course, El Yunque and a beautiful sunset every evening. We do agree that the rooms are a bit dated, and that is why we gave it a 4 rating instead of a 5. I think they are working on updating the rooms as the first floor was being painted and refurbished. The walls are thin, but we only noticed that in the mornings. No mistakes were made on our bill as I checked daily on the tv hotel services menu. Many restaurants were superb and well worth the money. My favorite being Isabellas-the steak house, and my husband's favorite was Bloosoms (Japanese table cooking). We even rented a car for the day at the Avis counter in the hotel lobby and went to El Yunque Rain Forest. We had some lunch at El Luquillo Beach and do not recommend it (fried foods everywhere). It was total rest and relaxation, just as we had planned. We highly recommend this hotel as we hope to come back sometime in the future.

• Stayed August 2003
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
7 Thank ive
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2003

July 21-23 I stayed at the Conquistador. I have been to quite a few carribean islands and stayed at very nice resorts. This is a beautiful hotel and the service was very good. I asked to have my room changed to avoid taking the trolley (clausterphobic) and was complied with immediately. I was placed in a wonderful room with a view of the golf course. The food is expensive, but what resort do you know that has 'inexpensive' food? The pools are wonderful and very clean. My only complaint was how thin the walls were. You can here the entire conversation of the room next to you or the dialog of a tv program. It makes for difficult sleeping and since I intend to return I will either try to get a room that has an empty room on the connecting side or get earplugs.

I did take offense to some of the descriptions of the island. Anyone who has traveled to the islands know that the Tourism is one of the main income providers so the resorts are wonderful but the living conditions of the residents is not equal. This is not an anomaly but the norm.

5 Thank 168MariLovesMusic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2003

After I paid for the trip I read some of the negative reviews about this hotel and switched to the Wyndham Condado in San Juan. After some thought, I decided to take a chance and switched back to the El Conquistador. What a blessing! Heaven on Earth! The visual impact is incredible. The grounds are kept immaculate and the staff is extremely friendly. For those who complained about the high priced food...If you can't run with the BIG DOGS, stay on the porch! I recommend the Stingray Cafe. We stayed in Las Olas and had an incredible view of the Caribbean and Palomino Island which is the hotel's private island. We rented a car and it was worth the added expense. If you've got the bankroll do it! Otherwise, borrow! You won't be disappointed! MichaelD. MichaelD.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2003

WE have just arrived back from our first trip to the resort,and like others I found this site before we went and was nervous about some of the poor reviews. My worries were for nothing. Everthing about our stay was excellent. The room was spotless with a ocean view to the island.
The view from our balcony which overlooked the pools was perfect. The staff was plesant and helpfull. No problems getting to the cabel car to go to the water ferry and the ferry ran every 30 min. The island was excellent, small fee to rent snorkling gear was well worth it. Isabella resturant was our favorite, but all the food was first class. The golf course was wonderful and the course staff was first class. I give the resort 4 stars.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2003

My husband is from Puerto Rico and I have visited practically the whole island. My sister-in-law during the time we went (1993)worked as an executive secretary for the Condado Hotels in PR. She was able to get us visitation to the El Conquistador Hotel for the day. I have never experienced such beauty! It is truely beautiful! The entrance to the hotel is up on a cliff, it overlooks the ocean and you see Palamino Island from a distance. It's an expensive hotel, but well worth the money. It's a massive hotel also with time shares. There is shopping on the grounds, restaurants, golf, several beautiful pools with waterfalls. You can take a boat to the Palamino Island for the day and do water activities (i.e. wave runners, water ski,games, island bars, nature walks, beach). Everything you do on the island is charged to your room, you do not need money. It was like paradise! It's a must see, you are also close to the rainforest, El Junque! Also, a must see!!!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2003

Beautiful hotel, great food, clean facilities, super pools an incredible island but their people are the best of all. They make you feel Welcome from the moment you arrived. We are definitely going back next year. Hopefully they will keep the good work.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
Caribe Hilton San Juan