“Go for the Sangria!”
Review of Tasca OleLelolai - CLOSED

Tasca OleLelolai
Cuisines: Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Description: Spanish/Boricua Tavern Restaurant serving Tapas, Seafood, Sangria, Wine, Beer. Come have a few drinks and Tapas, listen to flamenco, and gaze out at the incredible ocean view from our patio tables!
Reviewed September 3, 2014

We came here at the recommendation of the Conquistador concierge. We started our meal on a high note when we ordered the Passion Fruit Sangria. My father ordered a Puerto Rican food sampler in which everything was amazing. I think my favorite was the mushrooms. My husband ordered the Chicken Asopao and it was good.. except for the chicken in it. Everyone also really liked the chorizo in wine sauce. The chicken arepas were just ok and no one really liked the Patatas Bravas. The tables around us had paella and it looked amazing, we just were not that hungry. All the plates took a long time to come out, seemed like they were understaffed.

Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

We loved every bite. I loved the seafood aseopes and chicken mafunga. But, I would guess all dishes would be equally wonderful.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

My kids and I loved this place. The food was the best tasting of the four restaurants that we tried in this area and it was also lower cost than most of the others. I had the stuffed chicken breast with manchango cheese and cheese flan for dessert and they were great. 5 minutes from the Waldorf.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

If you are complaining about service, delays getting your food or anything other than the food, then you don't understand Puerto Rico. As my father states, "Puerto Rico has the best of both worlds: You are in Latin America, and you are in the US at the same time." Just understand: you will get good or exceptional service only if you go to a fine fine dining establishment in Puerto Rico. Anywhere else it just depends on the day, the time, the staff's friends and family issues, and the kitchen. Puerto Ricans are informal, friendly, and just darn nice. We don't understand what people fuss about with service. Those of us that have been away for some time need a bit of time to "reset our expectations". We need to get used to it and expect the unexpected.

I will not bore you with our experience, other than to state we were in and out in 1 1/2 hours, and this was just right for our meal.

This was our best meal in the Caribbean so far. If the waiter tells you "our specialties are Sangrias", then order a pitcher. We had a 1/2 pitcher of passion fruit sangria and it was delicious and enough for two of us for about an hour. If the waiter suggests the appetizer mofongos, then order a few.

The food was exceptional. We tried the tapas mofongo with lobster, and the land-crab (juey) arepas, and frankly, after those two tapas, we were full and happy. For dinner we shared the Dorado stuffed with shrimp on passion fruit sauce with malanga mash (be adventuresome, malanga is a root vegetable and this was served 'a la mashed potato), which was also delicious.

A table next to us ordered an appetizer "yola" (boat) which looked picture worthy and a complete meal for four. They waited a bit, but then were smiling, toasting, laughing and "ooh and awe-ing".

This isn't a restaurant you would go to from San Juan or anywhere west of Rio Grande, its a small chore to get there (google maps won't fail you, but be prepared to park on the grass "lot" across and beware of cross traffic when crossing, Puerto Ricans are quick with their feet and have a heavy foot while driving).

And remember that every restaurant in PR will disappoint if you are very "service conscious". Its just not woven into our culture- just order a drink, people watch, ask questions, take pictures, enjoy the ride, and relax.

2  Thank robdelac
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This restaurant has excellent food and awesome view. The Tapas were amazing. We went on a monday night and the place was full and food took a long time. I dont recommend the ginger mojito but I do recommend the Passion Fruit Sangria.