Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Pure Adventure tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Pure Adventure
from $53.52
from $102.58
from $115.96
from $76.94
1,246 results
All reviews bio bay marine biologist puerto rico early tour kayak trip bug spray mangrove forest vieques island laguna grande unique experience other companies full moon change of clothes sea turtles great trip fish scuba diving
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We cancelled our trip today after severe thunderstorms pounded PR and the exact area of the lagoon. They are threatening to still charge our credit card but if they do, I surely intend to fight the charges and will file claim in small claims court in Florida. This is a very shaky operation to try to force people into unsafe waters in very bad weather. I had not looked at the negative comments on here before but I should have.

PAowner, Owner at Pure Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear travelers,

Thank you for your review.

I would like to clarify that in Puerto Rico we do not have thunderstorms. We do have occasional lightings due to zones of low pressures. During our trips we keep informed with the proper agencies about weather conditions. The safety of our clients comes first as it is important to serve them responsibly. Therefore, if the conditions are favorable the trip must go on to assure the quality of service to the rest of the people in the tour. If it is not the case, then the trip is cancelled at no charge.

Safe travel,

Yolanda Ramos
Marine Biologist/Owner
Pure Adventure

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I just completed my third trip into the bio bay with Pure Adventure. The bio bay itself is an incredible experience and each time I come to Puerto Rico, I make sure to visit it. I will always use Pure Adventure as I have found them extremely knowledgeable, organized, friendly, and safe. I highly recommend the bio bay and Pure Adventure for anyone looking for a great excursion while visiting Puerto Rico!!!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

An awesome experience!!! I'm very thankful we choose the right company for this trip.They were absolutely well organized and professional.Our group was formed by 11 kayaks not all with experience.We went on the first trip at 6PM and unfortunately because of the light pollution(almost full moon) the glowing was not totally seen though it was still fun.There were four guides, and Javier was the lider, always alert and caring for the group, very helpful , which made me feel secure on the entire trip, thank youuuuu.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were really happy with the company we chose to kayak to bioluminescent bay. Pure Adventure sent us a very helpful email about a week before our tour. It gave us very excellent directions and what to wear and bring. It would have been a little difficult to find without the email. There are about 10-12 other tour company's that all launch from the same park to go to Bio Bay, so the area gets pretty packed and parking can be limited. We got there early bc we heard local craft and food vendors are set up on tour nights. We enjoyed some local PR food before we went.

When it was time to start you meet with the tour company you signed up with. Pure Adventure was very informative and gave a demonstration on how to operate a double kayak. I recommend the early tour, bc you kayak out to the bay while its still light outside. That made it a lot easier to kayak in the dark on the way back. I also liked that we were the first company out and the first company back in. We passed one company of kayaks and can see how people can get stuck in the mangrove trees. It can get pretty tight. You also get to watch the sunset and learn about the area and why it glows. Pure adventure is the only company that has a light on the front and on the back of their kayak, which was extremely helpful to kayak in the dark. Once the sun set the water would magically glow once you disturbed!

It was the most amazing experience to see. The guides were all very young and none of them claimed to be a marine biologists like their website says. However, our tour guide was very knowledgable. Also, if you don't bring cash its an extra $16 to pay with a card. They told us it says that on their website, but I am still unable to find this. Several people in our group had this same issue.

Once in the water, you kayak about a mile to the bay with one lead guide and 2 guides that followed way in the back I guess to keep everyone together. You then watch the sunset, learn about the water, spend 10 minutes playing once the water starts glowing and then kayak back. The people that had no clue how to kayak were pretty annoying, but other than that a fantastic experience and nicely operated company.

1  Thank JBloomin
Reviewed July 1, 2013

About a week ago my wife and I took the bio bay tour with pure adventure. We took the 6pm tour. Check in was easy and we walked around the area while we waited for the tour to begin. The bathrooms are pretty dirty so try to go before arriving at the meeting place. Once everyone was checked in we had a staff member give us a kayaking tutorial. Once complete we were loaded onto kayaks and headed to the lagoon. As previous people have mentioned I recommend taking the earlier trip because you get to see the mangroves and familiarize yourself with the path. The way back is pitch black, except for small lights on the kayaks. It took about 30 minutes to get to the lagoon. Once there, we were allowed to kayak around the area for about 30 minutes while it started to get dark. Next, we were all grouped together and were given some info regarding the microorganisms that make the lagoon glow. Afterwards, we were given another 25 minutes to kayak around and play with the water. This was absolutely amazing and was so happy I did this excursion. The way back was a bit difficult as it was pitch black except for small lights that the kayaks had. Luckily there were no other groups heading to the lagoon so there was no traffic heading back. You can actually see the water glowing alot more on the way back as well. Overall, the trip was great and the staff were very knowledgeable and made sure everyone was having a good time. My only recommendation for the staff would be to have at least 3 staff members ride to the lagoon with the group. There were only 2 staff members with us the whole time. The 3rd staff member could ride along in the middle and help out when people are having trouble on the kayak. Lastly, if you are hungry when you are done, there was someone selling pinchos with rice and beans in the area and the food was great.

1  Thank NyKnicks13