“Fun, casual and just relaxing”
Review of La Estacion

La Estacion
Ranked #3 of 103 Restaurants in Fajardo
Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Kitchen opens Thursday -Monday at 5pm. Restaurant closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Contemporary Puerto Rican and BBQ fare all cooked over natural charcoal on an outdoor grill. Ingredients locally grown or caught. Outdoor seating and indoor dining room available.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Fun, casual and just relaxing”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was a great spot for dinner. The atmosphere is cool, and very relaxed. The night was perfect so we sat outside under an umbrella while lit tiki torches kept the bugs at bay. Our waitress was friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. My companions had the sangria while I had a passion fruit DonQ martini. The sangria, wasn't as sweet as my friends were used too and the flavors fell a little flat. My martini was nice, but I think fresh passion fruit juice would've made it so much better.

We split a pulled pork appetizer and that made up for the average drinks. They really know how to grill meats here. The pork was flavorful, not too sweet, with a little hunk of blue cheese in the center, all finished with a homemade bun and some freshly pickled veggies. Great!

Dinner was equally good. One of my friends had the red snapper with green papaya side salad and fresh arepa. Although my friend was intimidated, ordering a fish with the head still attached, it was wonderfully done. Simply prepared but so rich in smoky flavors, the pineapple salsa was a nice addition. The green papaya salad, and maybe it's just our palates, was not that good. It was crisp but the only take home flavor was fresh ginger. It tasted like crunchy ginger, it just needed more punch to stand next to the flavorful fish. The arepa (which is fried bread), was amazing. The bread was so light and fresh, it didn't even taste fried it just tasted like a light airy pillow of deliciousness.

My partner and I each had the Morongo. He had chicken and I had the flank steak. Mofongo is a neat little dish of fried plantain that's then mashed. I know it sounds gross but it has the texture of stuffing and mashed potatoes, and is reminiscent of some kind of comfort food. My flank steak was perfectly grilled and nicely marinated, had the right amount of salt while still being savory and not overcooked. My partner loved his chicken as well, but I think that I had the better dish.

We were stuffed by dessert time but we still split the banana turnover with vanilla ice cream. It was a warm lightly fried dough pocket dusted in powdered sugar. This too was nicely fried. It was warm, sweet and was a real nice way to finish off a great meal. This is a place you should stop by.

• Visited January 2014

Connecticut, USA
“great”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

WE kept passing by and always busy, finally went the last night. Our favorite. Huge portions, casual. Good prices.

virginia
“Good Food”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had to wait at the bar for a table and while the bartender was working hard, there was no way he was gong to get drinks for those of us at the bar. He was working the entire place alone to provide drinks. This made the other patrons very angry and they got quire unruly, so it was the other customers that made the trip more harrowing than the staff. The food was very good. The portions were huge and the price much better than the resorts.

Abington, Pennsylvania
“Local flavor”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Played golf at the El Conquistador and found our way to this restaurant. Thouht the low key ambiance was great as well as the whole fish I had grilled, and not smothered with toppings to detract from the fish itself. My wife had ribs that were equally as outstanding.

The night before we had dinner at a highly recommended restaurant in San Juan for twice the price and not nearly as memorable. A must visit if in the Fejardo area.

• Visited January 2014
Santa Clarita, California
“Get the Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Mofongo!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Out of 4 dinners in Puerto Rico, my husband had Mofongo 3 times and declared that this was the best one. Obviously he liked the others, too, or he wouldn't have kept ordering it, but the fresh and delicious shrimp made this one stand out. I enjoyed a chicken pincho and salad with a delicious dressing. The Banana Empanada with ice cream was the perfect way to top it off!